working out at night

psychoswitch

White Belt
Reaction score
I recently got out of school and am trying to support my family with a number of odd jobs and now i have no time to workout in the morning like i should. So im thinking of working out at night what would you guys prefer and what are the pros and cons of working out so late. And also what is the best motivation for somebody who is so busy with these types of obsticles.

I have always prefered to do my training in the evening. I'm just so much more physically and mentally wired up in the evening. I'm a zombie in the morning. The only con to this is if you do it too close to bed time you have a hard time falling asleep. I try to get my workouts in just before dinner.

Second the hard to sleep comment. I always work out waaaaay later than I should and stay up way later than I should as a result. But it's good, cuz I work out, and then shower and you lay down and it feels great. lol

Personally, I like working out in the evening after I've had my quick mid-afternoon nap. I wake up fully refreshed and am still kind of warmed up from the daily activities.

The good thing about evening/night workouts is that you can shower after, have dinner, relax, and then sleep hours later.

You can spend all your strength and energy doing weight lifting and/or cardio on a treadmill and not have to worry about having to do other things after and being tired.

Regarding making it harder to fall asleep, I really think it depends on what you do and how much.

If you do something like a few lifts or evening running sprints, I could see how that would keep you awake since your body and mind is stimulated.

But if you do something like running for 45 minutes or working out your whole body (or lifting and distance running), you'll be spent and can't wait to go to sleep.

It's like Wand said on All Access, after he does his circuit training all he wants to do after is eat and sleep.

I have always prefered to do my training in the evening. I'm just so much more physically and mentally wired up in the evening. I'm a zombie in the morning. The only con to this is if you do it too close to bed time you have a hard time falling asleep. I try to get my workouts in just before dinner.

im kinda like this also, bad part is u cant eat dinner until u workout or less u will have to wait like 2 hours after dinner to workout, and then it gets really late

Second the hard to sleep comment. I always work out waaaaay later than I should and stay up way later than I should as a result. But it's good, cuz I work out, and then shower and you lay down and it feels great. lol

best feeling ever!!!!! besides a couple things i can think of

ive noticed that working out in the morning is much tougher than at night. i guess with the nights my body is already pumping and though out the day, i mentally tell myself to get ready for the night work out. With the morning, my body is still getting up and for some reason it's more tough.

I tend to have more energy at night than in the morning. But working out too close to your bed time could make it hard to sleep because of the added adrenaline in the blood.

I'm the opposite. I prefer working out in the morning, when I put it off until night I just don't get it done sometimes. First thing every morning for me.

Because of work I always work out at night, except for the weekends that is. I'm really not that 'active' when I have just woken up, I'm a slow starter. But anyways: working out, taking a shower before crashing onto my bed is a great feeling. I usually have no problem sleeping at all after that.

Just remember that if you work out at night, and eat and/or drink protein supplements post workout, that you don't go to bed right away. It will mess up with your ****bolism.

I would recommend not taking any caffeine if you are going to work out late just to reiterate what others have said about sleeping. Don't worry about eating before you go to bed though. Its more important to refuel your body than to worry that you ate carbs before you went to bed.

Why can't you write ****bolism?

If you're a zombie in the morning, it's actually better to work out then. It develops your will power in addition to your physical body, AND you also get the added benefit of de-zombifying yourself aka presto after workout you are suddenly wide awake and will have more energy for the rest of the day (provided you didn't run a marathon and lifted 200 pounds with 200 reps).

im the same as you- not a morning person- wired at about 10pm - go to sleep between 3and 4 every night-always been that way- much sharper in the evening in every aspect

If you're a zombie in the morning, it's actually better to work out then. It develops your will power in addition to your physical body, AND you also get the added benefit of de-zombifying yourself aka presto after workout you are suddenly wide awake and will have more energy for the rest of the day (provided you didn't run a marathon and lifted 200 pounds with 200 reps).

yeah- i train a lot when i get up and it does clear the head for a while but i always crash after it and feel low until the evening i feel great-train again and i dont crash after it- some peoples body clocks are different i think- ive always been like this

I'm the opposite. I prefer working out in the morning, when I put it off until night I just don't get it done sometimes. First thing every morning for me.

smart man, u do it like this and u dont miss consecutive days like myself:redface:

true , i wish i can do it, so damn hard though, harder for me than my workouts lol

as long as u dont do it too late it wont mess up your sleep

it is a nice way to end up the day and use the last of your energy to workout

I work out exclusively at night, the biggest con is definately the sleep thing.

The second one thought is eating. I have protein mixed with water after i work out, but sometimes you want to eat something else. But if you work out right before you go to bed you really can't eat anything (Other then the protein shake). That is if you're into staying lean and watching your weight.

And sometimes the fact that you're hungry or have a certain craving, adds to the difficulty in falling asleep.

Back