working nights, what time would you lift?

Flow'n

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So Im going to be working nights for the next 4 to 6 weeks. My shift is from 10pm until 6am. My mma training is from 7 until 930ish typically on weeknights. Im struggling on when I should lift. I see myself having 2 options.

1 is to lift when I get off work at 6. This way I'll be able to workout, get some food in me and be in bed by 10am, sleep until 6ish, eat and go train mma and do it all over again. The only problem with this is that im only 3.5 hours into my shift and Im already feeling pretty tired and I cant see myself lifting at 6am, at least not being able to give 100%

So I figure maybe I will go straight home to bed. Wake up around 1:30, get a meal or 2 in me and then workout, from there go straight to my mma classes. The thing I dont like about this is I dont have very much recovery time between lifting and mma. Id really like to hear Brad's, Finns, and/or any of the guys that train for other sports aswell as their lifting's opinion on this.

Are these my only 2 options or am I completely missing something? What would you do?

I would just do the first option and take a pre workout boost to get ya going just as long as it doesnt keep you up after you are lifting. you need to hit the hay.

2nd option. I work nights too and its a pain in the ass. I need a new job.

So Im going to be working nights for the next 4 to 6 weeks. My shift is from 10pm until 6am. My mma training is from 7 until 930ish typically on weeknights. Im struggling on when I should lift. I see myself having 2 options.

1 is to lift when I get off work at 6. This way I'll be able to workout, get some food in me and be in bed by 10am, sleep until 6ish, eat and go train mma and do it all over again. The only problem with this is that im only 3.5 hours into my shift and Im already feeling pretty tired and I cant see myself lifting at 6am, at least not being able to give 100%

So I figure maybe I will go straight home to bed. Wake up around 1:30, get a meal or 2 in me and then workout, from there go straight to my mma classes. The thing I dont like about this is I dont have very much recovery time between lifting and mma. Id really like to hear Brad's, Finns, and/or any of the guys that train for other sports aswell as their lifting's opinion on this.

Are these my only 2 options or am I completely missing something? What would you do?

I worked a lot of nights, and the guys that used the gym did it before the shift.

A guy at my gym has your schedule and prefers the 2nd option. I tend to agree, you're not going to be sharp when you train just before bedtime, and this is worse than not getting the best recovery possible.

Is your body adjusted to the night schedule yet? Did you switch over from a 9 to 5 to this night shift? Is your job physical?

If your body is adjusted to sleeping at night, what you are basically doing is equivalent to a 9 to 5 worker doing MMA 6 am -8:30 am, then lifting directly after work at 5 PM. I don't think it should be too bad, provided your body is gets used to the night shift.

I would personally eat a small directly after work and lift around 7 AM. Then after your workout have a PWO shake and go to bed (still around 10 AM).

whenever you can. That's what I do. If you work out at a comercial gym, avoid the 4-7 hours. I just bought some redline tablets, and I am finding that popping one (1/3 the reccomended dose) a half hour before going to the gym helps.

I work all nights, 6pm - 6am, and have for about 3 years now. I've tried both options, and I recommend #2. I just found it a lot easier to get up earlier and go work out than to get home after a long shitty night and go to the gym. I also think it helps me feel more energetic through the night. Try both if you can and see which works best for you though. I know a couple of guys who prefer going after work.

Back