working class bjj guys!

thedoc56**

Blue Belt
Reaction score
any advice or tips from anyone who works a alot and still has time for bjj? how do u avoid being dead/injured/sore everyday from bjj class?

Unless your really fortunate most guys on here either work or study and have to fit in their training around it.

I work full time in finance and the things which have helped me are:

1. Routine. If its possible have set days when you train and try not to deviate from this. The reality is that you will be tired, sore, distracted but if if you make mondays and wednesdays the days you always train for example, its harder to make excuses to miss it.

2. Sleep. This is the biggest problem for me as I work long hours and train late with an early start. Sometimes I feel like a zombie, if you can get a good 8 hours then great. If not, man up and make sure you catch up your sleep on weekends etc...

3. Diet. Stay away from simple carbs and sugary foods. The worst thing is your blood sugar levels going up and down on top of 6 hours sleep and then more training in the evening...

4. Supplement. A good athlete specific multi vit is essential. Other supps such as Gaba and ZMA might improve the quaility of your sleep.

Hope this helps...

Protein shake immediately after rolling. Force down a healthy meal soon after even if you're not hungry. Get a good night of sleep afterwords.

Take your vitamins - calcium, fish oil, glucosamine, and multi.

Shower ASAP after leaving the gym to get the sweat, gym nastiness, bacteria off you.

Unless your really fortunate most guys on here either work or study and have to fit in their training around it.

1. Routine. If its possible have set days when you train and try not to deviate from this. The reality is that you will be tired, sore, distracted but if if you make mondays and wednesdays the days you always train for example, its harder to make excuses to miss it.

2. Sleep. This is the biggest problem for me as I work long hours and train late with an early start. Sometimes I feel like a zombie, if you can get a good 8 hours then great. If not, man up and make sure you catch up your sleep on weekends etc...

3. Diet. Stay away from simple carbs and sugary foods. The worst thing is your blood sugar levels going up and down on top of 6 hours sleep and then more training in the evening...

4. Supplement. A good athlete specific multi vit is essential. Other supps such as Gaba and ZMA might improve the quaility of your sleep.

Hope this helps...

This. The hardest one for me is sleep also. However, set a routine and don't vary from it, some days you won't feel good but go to class and get your work in. I always feel better after a class even if I felt bad going into it.

Catch up on sleep on weekends, stretch in the morning and get a good breakfast. I get home from training usually around 1030pm. I am suppose to leave for work at 6 am, so if I leave anything around the house to be done when I get home its cutting into much needed rest. I have to wash my gi and eat something, and make sure I have lunch for the next day. So if the food is fast to make, and I dont have an apartment to clean or other shit to do I can get 6 hours in there.

I work 10 hour days, so stretching in the morning and having a good breakfast really go a long way in keeping me fresh. I try to make all my meals simple so I can get home around 6pm, shower and eat and be on the mats at 730-8pm again. If I train 4 days during the week Im usually shot on friday night by around 12-1ish, but I'll sleep in Saturday if I dont have to work. Saturday night I can party and basically rest and do house shit on Sunday. Gets hectic, but its a good life imo

I was working for a moving company for a few years when I started training and between the two, I think having a regular Yoga practice and resting a lot was what helped me keep going.

Catch up on sleep on weekends, stretch in the morning and get a good breakfast. I get home from training usually around 1030pm. I am suppose to leave for work at 6 am, so if I leave anything around the house to be done when I get home its cutting into much needed rest. I have to wash my gi and eat something, and make sure I have lunch for the next day. So if the food is fast to make, and I dont have an apartment to clean or other shit to do I can get 6 hours in there.

I work 10 hour days, so stretching in the morning and having a good breakfast really go a long way in keeping me fresh. I try to make all my meals simple so I can get home around 6pm, shower and eat and be on the mats at 730-8pm again. If I train 4 days during the week Im usually shot on friday night by around 12-1ish, but I'll sleep in Saturday if I dont have to work. Saturday night I can party and basically rest and do house shit on Sunday. Gets hectic, but its a good life imo

Yes, you will find that your life is very hectic, sometimes I barely have time to think, people think I'm crazy, but I'm so used to it I have to make a huge effort to stay at home and rest, thing is it makes me feel so alive.

I was working for a moving company for a few years when I started training and between the two, I think having a regular Yoga practice and resting a lot was what helped me keep going.

Yoga is like health insurance, esp if you're over 30 :icon_chee

I work construction so I work 10-12 hour days of hard physical labour, I think the best two things to do are get plenty to eat/ drink (healthy food obviously) and get a lot of sleep. I eat a ton and I'm only 155 and as mentioned before I catch up on my sleep on the weekends. A lot of it is mental too, a lot of the time I go straight from work to class and obviously I'm wiped but I force myself to do it because it's what I love to do and I know if I stick with it I could make something of myself one day.

I work on a political campaign so I'm working Monday through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. I literally rush straight from work to Jiu-Jitsu Monday through Thursday and train until 10:15 or 10:30. I also make times on Sunday to train as well.

It's a grueling week as I literally go from work to jits to sleep every day but I love it. I look forward to Jiu-Jitsu every day and have been seeing phenomenal strides in my technique lately having this schedule. It's tough but you just need to tell yourself that "I am going to go Monday and Wednesday this week". Make it a priority in your life and you'll find yourself going.

If I can do it working almost 80 hours a week can make time to do Jiu-Jitsu I think most other people can as well. I just hope you have a gym that has training times that fit around your work schedule!

some people don't seem to understand what working class entails:p

Hint office workers doesn't count,

of course you can roll just fine if you isn't in a physically taxing job, if anything it is great if you have a stressful job.

This summer I worked in a factory (I am a student and temp teacher usually)with loads of heavy lifting and repetitive movements, fvcked with your back and shoulders alot. surprisingly enough training still went okey, probably a good thing for me focusing on technique

i have to get up before dawn to steal milk from peoples doorstep to fill me up before i go out for a full days worth of chimney sweeping.

i tried to ask for more food at the orphanage once but it turned real ugly.

working class enough for you?

I work construction so I work 10-12 hour days of hard physical labour, I think the best two things to do are get plenty to eat/ drink (healthy food obviously) and get a lot of sleep. I eat a ton and I'm only 155 and as mentioned before I catch up on my sleep on the weekends. A lot of it is mental too, a lot of the time I go straight from work to class and obviously I'm wiped but I force myself to do it because it's what I love to do and I know if I stick with it I could make something of myself one day.

That's exactly how I felt when I was working for the moving company. Same weight and same thing with eating too. I think that for me there was a wierd point where after a couple of hours of carrying stuff, I would just sort of go on autopilot and not get tired anymore so going to class afterwards wasn't that bad for me.

i have to get up before dawn to steal milk from peoples doorstep to fill me up before i go out for a full days worth of chimney sweeping.

i tried to ask for more food at the orphanage once but it turned real ugly.

working class enough for you?

Real working class people get up before they go to bed, work 29 hours a day and pay the employer for the privilege to work

The body can adapt to a lot. last year i was out of work, I slept a lot and trained every day but was pretty depressed. Then I started working for myself, doing odd building jobs and now refurbishment. when I was off work I was always tired, now I work 12-14 hr days I dont eat properly and get 6hrs sleep, but I cant sit still and dont feel tired. I think my body had got strong but my mind was a wimp.
I flicked through a Judo paperback once, 'angry white pyjamas' or something, the guy was talking about training in Japan, how he passed a point , a pain treshhold, and he/they just saw the body as a piece of meat.

Real working class people get up before they go to bed, work 29 hours a day and pay the employer for the privilege to work

You try telling young people of today that, and they won't believe you.

Hope this helps...

thx guys, soundsgood

Oh man, I have two kid under two, and it's destroying my sleep. My oldest daughter (almost 2) won't sleep unless her heads on my arm.

Oh man, I have two kid under two, and it's destroying my sleep. My oldest daughter (almost 2) won't sleep unless her heads on my arm.

No kids for me - yet, but everyone I know says the lack of sleep is tough. I guess train when you can and when they're slightly older, I gues have this to lok forward to!

Back