High pay
Great benefits
Safer career path

Cons
Uptight elitist atmosphere
Have to wear a suit/tie
Long hours
Loss of identity

I think the happy medium is a large tech company like Facebook/Google/LinkedIn etc, but then you have to deal with all of those socially awkward Asian tech guys that just go home and keep to themselves

Just as many hours involved in a start up. I'd argue more in fact; and the whole, you know, actually having to have a skillset that you can apply without guidance and someone breathing down your neck to get it done and correctly.

I'd take someone who was a key person through the first three years of a successful startup over the vast majority of company men who have 10 years experience. Especially on the engineering end.

Half your bullet points are so off or can just be applied to the other. You sound poor

Is the occupational prestige really that high? I would choose neither.

Is the occupational prestige really that high? I would choose neither.

OP spent his first year on Sherdog making threads about his income from his parents' basement.

Tl;dr: perceived prestige matters more to some than it does to others.

Weird to generalize startups since they can be anything the owner wants it to be

I don't what startups you have worked at but I've interned at startups where they have unlimited vacation time, matching 401k, and generous health coverage. Wages also vary quite a bit. It really depends at what point you enter the startup. Hours are insane though if you are a developer.

I don't what startups you have worked at but I've interned at startups where they have unlimited vacation time, matching 401k, and generous health coverage. Wages also vary quite a bit. It really depends at what point you enter the startup. Hours are insane though if you are a developer.
Unlimited vacation time is probably just a ruse to get people to use less vacation days

Just sale coke or meth

Unlimited vacation time is probably just a ruse to get people to use less vacation days

Removes liability / debt from the company. Then the culture forms against taking time off. It is the biggest scam in the world.

I'd like to see someone working for a company with unlimited vacation see how far they can push it.

no one in the Bay Area says "tech" thats a term uneducated casuals use

How is "less room for growth" a con of working at a startup? Isn't the whole point of a startup to grow the business? Growth potential is the the main reason to work at a business like that. You're a fkn idiot ts, enjoy working at mcdonalds the rest of your life, you lil bish.

How is "less room for growth" a con of working at a startup? Isn't the whole point of a startup to grow the business? Growth potential is the the main reason to work at a business like that. You're a fkn idiot ts, enjoy working at mcdonalds the rest of your life, you lil bish.
McDonalds isnt even a job. Its a gig. Unless its Corporate/HQ

Back