working at a place where you have to be someone who youre not...

I'm in sales and I don't lie or manipulate people. I just give them the facts and my opinion and I try not to sugarcoat anything. People tend to like this since I don't come off as "salesy".

However, I make a conscious effort not to be negative in any way. i never badmouth a product or my competition. I always keep it positive even if I have to bite my tongue, which isn't always easy.

I suppose some people might consider that phony or not keeping it real but I disagree. It's called being a professional. People ultimately do not want to do business with shit talkers who berate others. They just want to have a pleasant and efficient transaction they can feel good about.

I work at a company where we are "encouraged" to be involved, extroverted, always have a smile on our face, etc.

When I'm in the middle of doing actual work, people will come up and want to have a conversation about the stupidest things. And when they ask for help, they tell me a whole 5 minute story about why they need it to work, what they did to try to make it work...but they don't actually tell me what is wrong.

Ive been spending the last week 30 something hours calling past customers to the tax Office for this years taxes. Im phony ass fuck with the thx for your time and have a nice day shiiiiiit and other random conversations.

I rarely talk online on the xbox one because im Not much of a talker.

My personal cell phone minutes are about 300 mins per month

To be fair it's kind of a reach to even call them jokes to begin with.

*starts to rain* "Hope you brought your swim trunks! Hahahaha!"

"Well let's hope the card won't get declined, otherwise these two will have to stay the whole night doing the dishes!" *points at his 8ish old kids* "Hahahaha!"

"Let's put that on a tab", "and on who's name will that be", "...the house! Hahahaha!"

etc....

Oh man, I start sweating when I'm around people like that. I physically can't fake it for bad jokes.

You ever get the guy that has a rolodex of 'What do you call a...' jokes at his disposal? After the first one it's like, "fuck, I'm about to hear 50 of these, aren't I?"

I worked at hot topic in the mall for two weeks a couple years ago.....why the fuck did I ever take that job?

News Flash: it's not just at work where you might have to be someone you're not. That's just where it tends to bite you the hardest if you don't.

I was in commissioned sales for almost 2 years because there weren't any openings in the tech bay job I applied for. Exact opposite of my personality and skillset.

Hats off to the guys who can do that day in and day out. It burned me out.

Not really.
I am able to get on with everyone, even people I don't like, but I don't really change how I am.
I'm not sure how I got away with it for so many years to be honest, I guess I was just lucky to work with some cool people.

I think any intelligent human being knows that you do have to adapt your behavior in certain circumstances and around certain people, but it should never be to a huge extent.

Once you've been in sales for any lengthy amount of time it's extremely hard to get out. There are always sales jobs available so that's a positive. Since there's such high turnover in that field, once a recruiter sees sales on your resume, that's the position they're gonna want to talk to you about, regardless of what you actually applied for.

These are my and my many coworker's experiences at least. Sales has been good financially to me but the constant "what have you done for me lately?" way companies treat sales people is alot to handle long term. No matter how well you perform, you can hit a slump and have your job at risk.

Good luck getting out.

Due to the nature of my work, I have to pretend to be a highly confident and social extrovert who likes people. In reality, my indifference is mistaken for confidence, I'm a quiet introvert, and I hate people. I straight up ignore random people who talk to me on the street 2/3rd's of the time.

I do actually give a shit about truly sick people, which I think helps my masquerade in the hospital.

Back