Working a 40 hour work week

Ditto(mon-thurs) , recently got a new gig and the 4 day workweek is beautiful

It’s an easy thing to get used to; and hard to break once you get accustomed. Opens up room for either supplementing my income with Overtime,
Getting shit done during the week that I don’t have to spend my weekends on, or just catching up on rest.

I'm salaried, work about 35 hours a week and get 31 days vacation.

When you get to the higher levels of the business the senior leadership work 'condensed hours' of 4 x 10 hour days, one of which is worked from home. That's the dream.

I probably average around 50 hour weeks. When I wasn’t in management, I was easily working 55-60 on average.
My opinion is it’s stupid, and we as a country need to evaluate where our priorities are. I don’t think forcing employees to work long hours consistently increases productivity (this has basically been scientifically proven true), and it also increases heathcare costs as it’s difficult to maintain a healthy lifestyle if you’re working yourself to death.

Why in the hell would you work for a company that doesn't compensate for the time you are there? That would just make me feel used, unappreciated, and frankly pissed off that I'm spending what would otherwise be free time and family time to increase profits for a company... And I wouldn't be compensated for it. Fuck that.

How can you just tell them you wont do overtime if your salary? Salary means you work until the jobs done. My last job paid shit but they kept us salary for mandatory OT during certain periods. I hated that shit. Hourly is almost the only way to go now a days unless salary allows you to NOT work when there isnt any work like in the IT field. Only way its fair.

I wish my company let me work overtime. I would make a fucking killing on time and half.

We just started some of our staff on a 4day, 10.5hr a day work week; I'd like to drop them down to 10 hrs with 1/2hr lunch break (which they'd prefer) but I'm out-voted atm.
Nobody gets overtime, but most work in sales and get paid commission so they get out what they put in (if they're good).

Is this the norm for all Americans, or is this thread just for those who are working in specific industries?

Where I am, 38hr week (8hr day with 20 mins paid break, 30 mins unpaid lunch) is the norm (maybe even regulated?), with 4 weeks of paid holiday leave, as well as sick pay etc, overtime and loading for working weekends, public holidays. Do you guys have family or kids?

I've done 4x10 which I really enjoyed, made for a good work life balance with a 3 day weekend.

Have also done 10x6 on commission in sales, often coming in on my day off because of a customer showing up.

Couple of years ago I moved into the corporate world, make more money than I ever have and work pretty much bang on 38hrs each week, including working from home twice a week. Feels good.

I don't work a full 40 hours a year.

Salary used to be awesome. Now the 40 hour work week is outdated, companies expect you to be available all the time and they're not raising wages to compensate for it.

Of course, I can't criticize too much. My staff comes in far more than 40 hours/week and we don't pay them extra for it. But we do find ways for them to profit within the normal system so there's some incentive for the extra hours.

Fuck that noise. I don't want overtime and I'm hourly, I don't want to work harder to get what I want, I want to spend less lol.

I read a study some time ago (a couple years or something) about salaried jobs. It found that depending on the pay and hours (I don't remember the deets) some came out to be the equivalent of working a $10 an hour waged job. Fuck, that.

In one office I worked in no one (in the office) would take a salaried position because they got so much OT that they made more than any of the salaried positions with less headache.

I usually work about 45 hours a week. I am salary. And I could probably get away with 40 hours. But I like the people I work with and want to be as helpful as possible.

But the number of people in this thread working well over 40 hours, working two jobs, etc. - that is the norm in America now. I have been very fortunate or I would be doing the same. It’s just one thing of the inevitable things that happens when wealth distribution becomes as skewed as it has. We are fucking owned by the Jeff Bezos’s of the world. And the fewer companies that own the more subsidiaries, the more our bargaining power decreases.

It is only going to get worse. The more people worship those with money as being smarter, harder working, having some magical x-factor that the rest of us don’t have, and so on, the worse it will get.
Ugh, the truth of this disgusts me. Work harder and longer for less, and now I've been alive long enough to see the truth.

I'm salaried, but get paid 1.5x my calculated hourly rate for overtime. It doesn't come about very often though, mostly to cover short notice sickness.

The idea of doing extra work for free sounds awful.

How many of you would choose to work over 40 hours if you could vs how many of you do it because you feel obligated?

I try my best to work as close to 40 hours as possible. I'm happy with my position and don't want to advance because the extra stress and work wouldn't be worth it. There's not a lot stuff I don't have that I need extra money for. Working extra would be kind of a waste to me.

Japan have some of the larger amount of hours per week and have a shitty work per hour efficiency.
France have some of the lower amount of hours per week and have an excellent work per hour efficiency.

It's almost like when you don't crush people life with stupid workload they function better.

On average 11 hour days Monday to Thursday. “Only” work 9 on fridays.... 8am to 5pm. Those are good weeks.

Big portion of year I’m doing 13-14 hours 2-3x a week and weekends. Good times.

I do forty hrs but I do ten hr shifts which I like I get 3 days off

Back