Working a 40 hour work week

32 hours here, i like to have spare time for study/passions. I’ll work 40 and over once I land something I enjoy very much

I am at the office 45 hrs a week, as they force us to take a full hour long lunch break. 8 days actual work.

Wouldn't be bad if I didnt have to commute about 30-40 min each way.

I just started this tho, after a year, I will be able to work at home. My last job was mostly w@h, which I loved, but that job was shitty over all as the company went down hill with shit management.

By the end of that one, I was working every 3 weekends, and would need to have phone with me to get calls and emails from 8 am until like 7 pm

This job now, even work at home, is the 8 hours and 1 for lunch and you're done. I do like that very much

I also generally work 5 10’s, with weekends sometimes added in. And I commute like 1.5 hours every day.

I’m also a sucker though, clearly.

i get 1.5x pay anything outside my regular 40hrs and 2x if I work on Sundays. OT is bankable for up to 80hrs per year as well.

I work a couple of hours a day and make 6 figures

hahaha

Making 6 figures in a few hours isn't really an achievement mate. When I was like 12 I made a whole box of warhammer in like an hour, that's 24 figures in one hour. Pick up your game skipper.

I’m at 45-60 hours a week and that’s just the physical side of my job. I couldn’t begin to guess with all the admin work I put in too

I work 5 tens most weeks
But im hrly paid

Its simple
I wouldnt ask someone to come and mow my lawn for a price and then ask them to stay and prune for free for two hrs lol

Ive never been salaried before. sometimes I forget thats even a thing

If you refuse to work enough to get the job done properly as a salaried employee, you'll never advance.

Back when I used to be a wage slave, I would work 40 hour weeks, which tended to be closer to 45-50 with work creeping into evening or weekends.

Never plan to trade hours for money again.

Right now my time spent working fluctuates.

For example, the past week I've spent around 4 hours a day working.

I had one day where I crunched out 8-9 hours of work.

The week before I mostly took off. I just did a few hours here and there. For example, I'd just take my laptop to a cafe for lunch and coffee and work while I had battery (2-3 hours), but I spent most of that week surfing

37 hour weeks are standard here (and 6 weeks paid vacation). Overtime compensation up to 100%+ because well, we have strong working unions.

I don't count the time. When I'm not working, I'm working on myself.

I've found ways to be rewarded when putting in the extra time. If the rewards stop being worth it, I move on to new places and continue to not watch the clock.

“Hey can you do us a favor and help work extra”

-companies

Remember today’s favor is tomorrow’s obligation.

If you refuse to work enough to get the job done properly as a salaried employee, you'll never advance.
If you can't pay your employees for the amount of work required to do the job, as an employer, you are failing.

the only salaried employees at my job work in the office. we make the same money doing labor but we get paid hourly and overtime/double time/triple time pay. working for a salary sounds like it sucks.

I'm on a salary for 40 hours per week as a Business Development Manager (Sales) selling enterprise software to Banks and the like. I have days where I'll be on the first train to London at 5:10 AM and I won't get home again until 11:00 PM or I have to stay away in hotels etc... that's all covered by the company and we get to eat out at nice places, all paid for on a company credit card.

There again, there are days where I'll have a mid-morning meeting and be home by 2:00 PM so its swings and roundabouts. I'd say I average 50 hours per week all in all but its a good salary and the commission is incredible so its worth putting in the hard yards when necessary. You get out what you put in, right?

I’ve read that more and more people are drawing a line in the sand that they’ll not work overtime as a salaried employee. One particular source stating that theyll establish this precedent early on with the company. They’ll only work additional time if they’re compensated for it.

As a salaried employee in middle management, I literally cannot fathom this. I don’t think I’ve ever worked a 40 hour work week. I either work 4 12s or 5 10s. This is consistent amongst my peers in the same industry.

Any of you refuse to work overtime as a salaried employee? What was the company’s reaction?
Read where?

the truf that is why I don't go above and beyond any more just doing what is barely required to not get fired.

99% of bosses won’t even appreciate it.

I worked for someone like that and vowed if and when I owned my own business I would be different. I am partners in a couple restaurants and bars in NJ and try damn hard to show respect to my employees when they’re giving their time.

Compensation is key. Sure favors can be done and should be done but don’t constantly expect that from your employees.

Last edited:
I scratch my buttcheek
working 40 hours a week
my future is bleak

giphy.gif

Back