Working a 40 hour work week

LOL@ Working 40 hours a week. You pleb.

We got a 40h contract, i work 40h
You want more, pay more

At my job we can flex(ible) our time meaning if we worked super long one day we can work less other days.

The whole salary without extra pay thing is an advantage for the company. They can get more labor and pay less money.

Been there done that. I used to work non stop 10-12 hours a day 5 days at week and maybe saturady mornings too. Used to take calls and messages during non working hours and checked e-mails on saturdays and sundays.

Never again. I can understand urgence and don't have problems staying at the office until things are sorted out or go during a weekend... but as an exception and with a clear compensation being either money or better time off.
Yeah, I've done something similar. Managing a shop, getting calls, texts and emails from 7 am to the middle of the night. One day I got over 97 pieces of urgent communication requests on top of sending out quotes, directing guys, dealing with customers and sub trades in person. The money was good, but not that good. Hard pass.

I’ve read that more and more people are drawing a line in the sand that they’ll not work overtime as a salaried employee. One particular source stating that theyll establish this precedent early on with the company. They’ll only work additional time if they’re compensated for it.

As a salaried employee in middle management, I literally cannot fathom this. I don’t think I’ve ever worked a 40 hour work week. I either work 4 12s or 5 10s. This is consistent amongst my peers in the same industry.

Any of you refuse to work overtime as a salaried employee? What was the company’s reaction?

I'm not middle management and I'm sure your salary is higher than me. I work 40-70 hours a week depending on overtime availabilty though and have no problems with it. If I wasnt getting extra money though fuck that, if it ain't time and a half I'm going home.

Getting paid salary sucks. I was getting text from work on weekends. I asked if they can send me the requests on weekdays when I’m in the office. They got butt hurt and talked to me like I’m the bad guy. Glad I quit that place.

Lessons learned:

Don’t agree to giving your employer your cell phone.

Dont take salary.

The trick is to gobble up all required overtime for the first three quarters without hinting at wanting any compensation.

Then ask for a huge raise and/or promotion and make it clear that you won't so any more unpaid overtime unless you get it.

Then when you get it, refuse to do ant unpaid overtime anyway.

Now you're getting paid more for your contracted 40 hour week than your coworkers are getting paid for their 40 hours + overtime.

I'm not middle management and I'm sure your salary is higher than me. I work 40-70 hours a week depending on overtime availabilty though and have no problems with it. If I wasnt getting extra money though fuck that, if it ain't time and a half I'm going home.
It has to be a fair, mutually beneficial relationship. The problem is the definition of "mutually beneficial" is largely dependent of the increases in the cost of living and inflation.

The trick is to gobble up all required overtime for the first three quarters without hinting at wanting any compensation.

Then ask for a huge raise and/or promotion and make it clear that you won't so any more unpaid overtime unless you get it.

Then when you get it, refuse to do ant unpaid overtime anyway.

Now you're getting paid more for your contracted 40 hour week than your coworkers are getting paid for their 40 hours + overtime.
Dubs won't let me edit posts to correct typos.

<{danayeah}>

I get paid for 40 hr work week for 8 hr-12 worth of work. Max.

I’ve read that more and more people are drawing a line in the sand that they’ll not work overtime as a salaried employee. One particular source stating that theyll establish this precedent early on with the company. They’ll only work additional time if they’re compensated for it.

As a salaried employee in middle management, I literally cannot fathom this. I don’t think I’ve ever worked a 40 hour work week. I either work 4 12s or 5 10s. This is consistent amongst my peers in the same industry.

Well, a management position is very different from non-management.

Any of you refuse to work overtime as a salaried employee? What was the company’s reaction?
Refusing overtime lol.

Usually work gives you Lieu days for extra time worked. At least in canada. Mine does.

if you work 48 hours a week for 5 weeks, you get a week off later. I know I do.

This week I'm working a little over 60 but usually is around 52

Suppose to work 4 12 hour shifts but pick up over time on Saturdays to stop myself from getting a part time job

You sign up what you sign up for imo. If you want a company that’s lax about it, find one. But don’t sign on to a place that does a standard 10 to 12 hour shift then refuse to do the time.

My personal time is more valuable to me than that, Im not salaried though so I get OT if I work over 40. Why TF would I want to work extra to put money in another man's pocket, and not even be thanked for it? If you're salary and working over 40 to me you're kind of a sucker.

My personal time is more valuable to me than that, Im not salaried though so I get OT if I work over 40. Why TF would I want to work extra to put money in another man's pocket, and not even be thanked for it? If you're salary and working over 40 to me you're kind of a sucker.

This. Want me to work the hours? I'm happy to. Show me the fat OT premium and I'm in. That's what I did for most of my career, back in my time in the tech industry it wasn't unusual for me to put in 80-100+ hour weeks, but I was also getting a 2-3X OT premium depending on how many hours I racked up.

Back