Working a 40 hour work week

Bme26

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I’ve read that more and more people are drawing a line in the sand that they’ll not work overtime as a salaried employee. One particular source stating that theyll establish this precedent early on with the company. They’ll only work additional time if they’re compensated for it.

As a salaried employee in middle management, I literally cannot fathom this. I don’t think I’ve ever worked a 40 hour work week. I either work 4 12s or 5 10s. This is consistent amongst my peers in the same industry.

Any of you refuse to work overtime as a salaried employee? What was the company’s reaction?

Last edited:
I used to work eight days a week. That was tough!

I also generally work 5 10’s, with weekends sometimes added in. And I commute like 1.5 hours every day.

I’m also a sucker though, clearly.

70 hours a week, work 2 jobs

Last edited:
I work a couple of hours a day and make 6 figures

hahaha

I'm beastin 25/8 so I work 200 hrs/wk. Read it and weep

I’m salaried but when I work OT I get paid for it.

40 hours with some ot thrown in here and there. I'm not salary though. I always volunteer holidays as we get 2.5x pay and general dont have to do shit.

I manage a small company. We are all salary. We will work over 40 hours when needed and it does happen during our busy times. On the other end, we are incredibly flexible with sick days, kids being sick, school delays, leaving early for doctor, etc. It's a give and take, which it should be. I realize that's not as feasible in a big corporate company, but it should be.

My wife works for a bank that isn't huge, but it's not that small either. They have branches in multiple states. They are just now starting to be far more flexible. She works from home 20 hours of the 40 hour week. Everything must be documented.

But to answer your question - if I had a new hire that wouldn't work past the 40 when we were swamped, they'd probably end up getting canned at some point.

When I was salaried 50hrs/week was the norm. We wasted a ton of time eating out though.

Why should they pay you more for being less efficient as happens to 40+ hour per week workers?

Wait, that's not it.

Why should they pay you more when they got you by the balls as a wage slave?

No, still not there.

Just be damned thankful you have the privilege of sacrificing your health and family time in the pursuit of making a profit for someone else.

Dammit, I just can't seem to get this right.

Last edited:
Been there done that. I used to work non stop 10-12 hours a day 5 days at week and maybe saturady mornings too. Used to take calls and messages during non working hours and checked e-mails on saturdays and sundays.

Never again. I can understand urgence and don't have problems staying at the office until things are sorted out or go during a weekend... but as an exception and with a clear compensation being either money or better time off.

Salary is almost always a ripoff. And it doesn't feel good knowing your extra time means diddley squat to your wallet.

I usually work about 45 hours a week. I am salary. And I could probably get away with 40 hours. But I like the people I work with and want to be as helpful as possible.

But the number of people in this thread working well over 40 hours, working two jobs, etc. - that is the norm in America now. I have been very fortunate or I would be doing the same. It’s just one thing of the inevitable things that happens when wealth distribution becomes as skewed as it has. We are fucking owned by the Jeff Bezos’s of the world. And the fewer companies that own the more subsidiaries, the more our bargaining power decreases.

It is only going to get worse. The more people worship those with money as being smarter, harder working, having some magical x-factor that the rest of us don’t have, and so on, the worse it will get.

Refuse to? No, but I like to have a life outside of work. I probably average a couple of hours over 40/week and I’ll work more if I have to but that’s not a regular thing.

Done crazy hours 3 years of my life then moved to a first world country. No one has asked me for unpaid overtime for the last 10 years. Not sure what is so complicated, pay the right salary if you want someone to work for you. If you want them to do overtime on top, pay for that too. It is not only matter of money but also work/life balance, efficiency, health and safety.

I work in healthcare and salaried. We get compensated for anything extra beyond the 40 hours. Even on-call I would get paid for every hour I'm on-call and then OT or comp time if I do have to come in for a consult.

Luckily I work at a Spa. Full time is usually 30 hours a week of availability with you actually working/being booked about 20-22 of those hours.

Most people I know are full time non-exempt (meaning they receive over-time). The only person I know personally that is full time exempt (meaning no pay past 40 hours) makes well over 100k a year so he can't really complain too much

Most of my salaried staff puts in 40hr on average, punctuated by a few really long weeks, and travel weeks where it can be a long streak of long days. I rarely come in at or below 40, but I also rarely go above 50, and I’m in charge.

Back