Wood's One Punch Knockout and Why it Wasn't Luck

Pain4Pain

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
If you watch the clip again of Woodley knocking out Robbie, Robbie did not see the punch coming and did not react to it. He dropped his left hand so he couldn't block the punch nor did he see it coming so he could at least roll with it, which might have saved him. Lawler took that punch clean and was not moving his head or his body in the same direction to at least take out some force. Thus, this doesn't mean that his chin is cracked yet, but a shot like that would have at least wobbled even Nick or Moose.

For all you sherbros who don't believe me, go throw a right hook (or left hook if you're a lefty) at a stationary heavy bag. It would make more impact than if the bag is moving in the same direction of your punch and that will give you an idea of the kind of damage Robbie's brain took.

I've been hit clean with some nice hooks I didn't see coming, even from smaller dudes and even though they weren't very hard I've felt the effects of my brain ricochet against my skull and it did not feel pleasant.

EDIT: Gif for the doubters

Last edited:
Def wasn't luck. This shit just happens. So many things account for what happened- it was a combo of Tyron's power, Lawler's beaten up weakened chin, timing etc

Punches to the head can knock you out? This is news. Thanks for explaining.

he pulled a bisping and circled to the power hand

Unfortunately, plenty of people making low key inferences that is was a combination of factors, and not necessarily the skill of Woodley. Pathetic a man can't just be given his due.

Breaking news Woodley won the belt fair and square.

There was nothing lucky about that punch!

Lawler actually exactly knew what happend, he said it himself right after the fight: "He fainted me. My hand went down, he threw a hand over the top and he got me".

Telling sherdoggers to throw hooks at heavy bags... Like they know how to throw a hook or what a heavy bag looks like in real life...

No luck at all in that punch it wasnt a Conor vs Aldo or Serra vs GSP type deal.

Lawler looked to see it at the last second and tried to block it with the right.

You're a natural physicist. Also, it was a one punch KO?

Of course it wasn't luck, Luck doesn't exist in combat sports (Except freak injuries)

This isn't backgammon...

How can anything in MMA be luck when all the movement, manouvers, strikes, everything is up to the fighters?

Lawler actually exactly knew what happend, he said it himself right after the fight: "He fainted me. My hand went down, he threw a hand over the top and he got me".
I think he only knew because of the replay

People were saying it was a lucky punch? Holy shit, this websites fucked.

I picked Woodley because his last couple fights you can see how quickly he closes the distance. Guys who strategically attack him have a better chance but I knew Lawler will engage cause that's just what he does. He's gonna wade in and exchange. I felt either Woodley would get a KO or lose a tough decision. To bad Rivera and Grabowski ruined my Draft Kings card. Otherwise I'd a been in the money.

Lawler saw the punch but did not react to it in the way he should have, he even said this himself. You can even telll from the gif that he sees it. Look at how his facial expressions change. He doesn't look calm at all from his face. he's saying to himself "oh shit"

Back