Woodley's Boxing

Riffo

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
What do you guys think of Woodley's boxing do you guys think he could be able to stand with someone like Robbie?

He will out strike Robbie with ease. Book it!

He has a good right hand and decent footwork. But he's a bit one handed and virtually never throws a left hook or left uppercut. He also tends to get backed to the cage without throwing back which might be because of his cardio which he claims isn#t an issue.
So sometimes he's reduced to exploding forward with right hands like vs Rory.
But Lawlor will give him more opnening and Woodley can't counterpunch so maybe he catches lawler and knocks him out

He has pretty fast hands and huge power in his right hand.

Not sure if he'll stand and bang with Robbie or not. He may use his wrestling to set up pot-shots.

He's got great defense (except against Rory for some reason).

He's got power and fast hands, and Robbie absorbs a lot of shots.

I think that it'll all depend on whether he can hurt Robbie early--which I doubt.

People have said most of what I was going to
He's sneakily good at defense
He over relies on backing up in straight lines though. He'll very often back straight up to bait a guy for the right hand. it's disconcerting to see because he's got decent footwork otherwise, and it's primarily because like others have said he has no lead hand to set up his right
Dude would be nasty with even a decent jab

When I look at this fight I see a lot of similarities between Woodley and Hendricks just that one is Orthodox and the other Southpaw. They both have a lot of power for the Welterweight division, both have similar grappling skills (I think Hendricks beat Woodley in college but still I think they're both elite wrestlers). Would it be safe to say Woodley has faster hands than Hendricks and maybe a little more refined boxing? (even though he relies too much on his right hand)

He will out strike Robbie with ease. Book it!
giphy.gif

His counter punching is good. Hes more explosive and quicker with his handspeed than Hobbie, which Hobbie in his fights usually has the handspeed and explosive advantage.

Tyrons boxing when he has to lead is mediocre tho and his reliance on counters and waiting for openings instead of creating them lead to him freezing up and us having to watch some shit fights (Hory, Mein, Tarec, Shields etc.)

His gameplan is usually to back up to the fence and counter with a big right or wrestle. Rory and Firas exploited this beautifully. There don't seem to be many "lock" matchups these days since USADA came to town but I'm pretty confident Robbie is going to finish him.

It won't matter once Robbie cracks that lil' chin. He'll be on queer street looking to panic wrestle.

I sincerely hope he plans to stand and bang with Robbie.

I think the real question is Robbie's TDD vs Woodley TD.

His counter punching is good. Hes more explosive and quicker with his handspeed than Hobbie, which Hobbie in his fights usually has the handspeed and explosive advantage.

Tyrons boxing when he has to lead is mediocre tho and his reliance on counters and waiting for openings instead of creating them lead to him freezing up and us having to watch some shit fights (Hory, Mein, Tarec, Shields etc.)
Great breakdown. Woodley's boxing take a hit when he's forced to be the lead dancer. But as a counter puncher he's vicious.

What do you guys think of Woodley's boxing do you guys think he could be able to stand with someone like Robbie?
I hope to pray to the Just Bleed Gods that Woodley's boxing is so exceptional, that it can take him to the 5th round.

I want to see a unicorn

The fabled beast, that is

5th Round Lawler!

I think that Woodley can take Robbie down but taking him down is one thing, being able to keep him down is another. And Woodley tends to fade in the later rounds.

His fight with gastelum really exposed his lack of a good left hook. I'm no striking expert and I saw a ton of openings where he could've thrown some hooks. Who knows he could've got a ko if he threw them, he's got ridiculous power

Decent boxing and a very powerful right, but easily nullified wit a solid jab. Re watch the macdonald fight..

He stands a chance for the first two rounds, then he will fade...

I honestly think he gasses early because he is black.

Back