Woodley Was a College All American Wrestler

Zomax

Gotch Catch Wrestling
@Orange
Reaction score
Woodley wrestled NCAA Div. 1 for Missouri back in the mid 2000s. He was an All American twice. He won most of his amateur MMA fights and his pro fights early in career by way of submission. Then, he found his hands and became more of a striker. If we have learned anything over the years, if a top level wrestler takes a striker with little wrestling experience to the ground, there is a high probability the wrestler will control the fight and often can inflict some serious damage. While Sonnen lost to Silva, he was a huge underdog but was still able to beat-up Silva on the ground. Weidman also damaged Silva that way. Short notice Mendez had Conner begging the ref to stand them up. I'm not really a fan of either Woodley or Wonderboy. I just think if Woodley takes it to the ground early and as often as he can, its likely that he wins the fight.

Wonderboy's got dat movement.

Pretty sure Hendricks and Ellenberger were too...

I think the biggest issue that Woodley runs into is what guys run into against Lyoto, it's hard to get in on Wonderboy's hips because of his stance and his footwork. I think to win this fight, Woodley is going to have to play an educated and smart boxing game, and rely on leg kicks if he can get Wonderboy on the retret, then get inside and work against the fence (which is where he does his best wrestling anyway).

I see it going to a close competitive 48-47 type decision where we argue about control vs impact for the umpteenth time, and people wrongly try to justify one guy as the clear victor over the other based on stats. Either that or we see and early Woodley KO or a very late Wonderboy stoppage.
I'm not convinced by those who cite the Ellenberger and Hendricks fights as justification for picking Wonderboy - Ellenberger looked the same as he has since way back when he lost to Carlos and every fight he's lost since, he landed early and faded hard. And Hendricks is a shell of his former self, I don't know what Hendricks showed up to that fight and I'm not convinced he's still top tier after his health problems and his second loss to Lawler

Wonderboy probably prefers to fight wrestlers. Have you seen his last 3 fights?

Distance, timing, and TDD on 2-3 occasions and WB is new champ.

Hendricks was a more accomplished college wrestler.

tumblr_o26u2i0c8d1upwz95o2_400.gif

3CwdvpPYKDLEI.gif

Wonderboy's got dat movement.

This

ImprobableAromaticArmednylonshrimp.gif

ShadyUnfortunateCony.gif

Woodley wrestled NCAA Div. 1 for Missouri back in the mid 2000s. He was an All American twice. He won most of his amateur MMA fights and his pro fights early in career by way of submission. Then, he found his hands and became more of a striker. If we have learned anything over the years, if a top level wrestler takes a striker with little wrestling experience to the ground, there is a high probability the wrestler will control the fight and often can inflict some serious damage. While Sonnen lost to Silva, he was a huge underdog but was still able to beat-up Silva on the ground. Weidman also damaged Silva that way. Short notice Mendez had Conner begging the ref to stand them up. I'm not really a fan of either Woodley or Wonderboy. I just think if Woodley takes it to the ground early and as often as he can, its likely that he wins the fight.
The only way I see Woodley winning this fight is if he is able to take Steven Thompson down and do some real damage from that position

Then, he found his hands and became more of a striker

He haven't 'found his hands' as much as he found out that he can't do shit from the top to better fighters, and was consistently managing to gas horribly by doing nothing important in the guard of opponent.

There was a time, when Woodley was getting called worst L'n'Per out there, and it was frankly hard to disagree, though I tried to like him for his submissions or dismantling of Galvao.

Surely someone has to remember. :p

So it's actually fairer to say that he can't really outwrestle top competition in MMA easily, even if mixing it up with striking.[/quote]

He will be like Alice in Wonderland after he wakes up from Wonder KO.

This is probably the most over-simplified fight breakdown I've ever read. Yes because all wrestlers in D1 can take down every fighter they ever fight.

Wonderboy is hard to get a hold of, let alone take him down these days. Woodley doesn't like to grind in the clinch either. Just watch his fight with Jake Shields.

Thing is, Woodley doesn't like being pushed back. He's not quite as stationary as Hendricks was vs WB, but I could easily see Thompson doing to him what Rory MadDonald did for an entire fight. Also, Woodley's gas tank is a concern. If he can't get WB down early or blow him out with a big punch then what? He's in trouble, that's what.

Obviously if Woodley gets him down he's not getting up. Ideal situation for WB is fight as his distance so all take down attempts are telegraphed a mile away and he can stuff them and Ring Woodley bell with his karate point fighting style. I got this fight 70/30 for thompson though. Styles make fights and Thompson is like worst style for him since he wont be there to bang or take down. Then mental factor could play a huge role depending how much he is ducking out of fear or money.

Tyron doesn't use his wrestling nearly as much as he used to. But his offensive striking is very good. He's developed a very good kicking game for a guy that comes from a wrestling background. And his ability to close distance in the cage is some of the best in MMA. The one area he struggles on is his defense, especially when moving back or when not having anywhere to move when his back is pinned to the cage.

To fight Wonderboy, he is going to have to work on circling out and avoid this position. Because Stephen is going to stalk him and put him there. I think Tyron can KO pretty much anyone at WW on the feet if he can connect with a solid shot. But this will be tough against Stephen given that he uses distance so effectively. Going after the TD against Stephen these days is risky because he has really good hips and is great at shaking off the attempts. Not to mention it leaves them open to being countered.

Fun fight, but it will be tough for Tyron because he's not a rangy fighter taking on a guy who is probably one of the most precise strikers at range. Tyron has a few advantages, but we'll have to see if he can utilize them.

He haven't 'found his hands' as much as he found out that he can't do shit from the top to better fighters, and was consistently managing to gas horribly by doing nothing important in the guard of opponent.

There was a time, when Woodley was getting called worst L'n'Per out there, and it was frankly hard to disagree, though I tried to like him for his submissions or dismantling of Galvao.

Surely someone has to remember. :p

So it's actually fairer to say that he can't really outwrestle top competition in MMA easily, even if mixing it up with striking.

People used to say the same shit about Chad Mendes for gods sake, fighters improve and get better
I think the early criticisms of Woodley's lay and pray are fair though - It was his gas tank that failed him, he generally did try to generate effective offense early in fights from top position
He'd just get tired so quick and take a nap on top of dudes

Wonderboy is a little overrated, everyone wants to love him. Woodley is a bit underrated because he's annoying.

I'd say it's a 50/50 matchup. Woodley has the power and even though Thompson is not easy to hit he does get tagged some times. I don't think wrestling will play a part here because WB is damn hard to get close to.

Yea i honest don't believe that this is going to be a hard fight wonderboy fought hendricks who can't or doesn't seem to wrestle anymore and Ellenberger drooped wonderboy. He just doing something new he the great white hope but he will lose

Back