Woodley vs GSP, Lawler vs Diaz. Who should Thompson fight?

If those first two go down, Wonderboy waits. His next fight, will be for a title.

If those first two go down, Wonderboy waits. His next fight, will be for a title.

The thing is, I can see them booking Lawler or Diaz for a title fight before they book Wonderboy.

Even then, it's also hard to deny Maia a title shot should he beat Condit. Wonderboy could REALLY cement his claim with a win over either guy.

My advice would be to wait. Or maybe an "easy" fight.
(Ellenberger come to miond)

T_wood wait for 18 months and still got a title shot

The thing is, I can see them booking Lawler or Diaz for a title fight before they book Wonderboy.

Even then, it's also hard to deny Maia a title shot should he beat Condit. Wonderboy could REALLY cement his claim with a win over either guy.
if you're on a 6 fight win streak and then you beat the #1 contender, you should be the #1 contender. I think wonderboy has his title claim quite cemented already. if he doesn't get a title shot after GSP, it's gonna be serious bullshit...

Wonderboy may as well retire if the UFC are going to pander to the likes of Woodley. He's so clearly the finest fighter in the division that no champ will ever agree to fight him.

Pity.

If Carlos wins at the end of the month. They should set up Condit vs Wonderboy on the same card as gsp vs woodley.
giphy.gif

if you're on a 6 fight win streak and then you beat the #1 contender, you should be the #1 contender. I think wonderboy has his title claim quite cemented already. if he doesn't get a title shot after GSP, it's gonna be serious bullshit...

Don't get me wrong. I feel the same way.

However, let's be realistic. This is the UFC we are talking about and along with wins, names are also taken into consideration when considering title fights.

Wonderboy is the future champ regardless. These other fighters are just keeping the belt warm.

If he has to beat everyone before getting the title his reign is going to be lot less exciting.

If Carlos wins at the end of the month. They should set up Condit vs Wonderboy on the same card as gsp vs woodley.
giphy.gif

GSP vs Woodley
Thompson vs Maia/Condit
Lawler vs Diaz

All on the same card. That'd be something.

Woodley (c), Lawler, and Diaz all in the discussion for high profile fights.

All I know is that these Strikeforce guys wouldn't be able to cut it in the UFC

Don't get me wrong. I feel the same way.

However, let's be realistic. This is the UFC we are talking about and along with wins, names are also taken into consideration when considering title fights.
yeah absolutely, but it's even harder for wonderboy considering who his potential match ups would be. Maia poses a bigger threat to him than woodley or lawler, and I think condit too. so if he takes the winner of that fight next, he could lose momentum with a L in his career after already getting there... so unless he fights lawler, it wouldn't make sense for him. I'd bench like woodley did and wait for my shot tbh... wonderboy isn't getting any younger

All this confusion is kinda why I liked the idea of GSP taking a super fight at middleweight. Him returning to welterweight right now makes the contender ship picture really complicated.

Wonderboy may as well retire if the UFC are going to pander to the likes of Woodley. He's so clearly the finest fighter in the division that no champ will ever agree to fight him.

Pity.
It's pandering to gsp. Not Woodley. If it happens.

Diaz won't fight Lawler. Not a big enough pay day for him.

Personally I'd like to see Diaz vs Wonderboy. No need to watch Diaz vs Lawler. Diaz already KO'd Robbie why would he fight him again?

My advice would be to wait. Or maybe an "easy" fight.
(Ellenberger come to miond)

T_wood wait for 18 months and still got a title shot
He should wait but in that case he might get robbed of a titleshot. Woodley was going to fight for the title before hendricks failed during the weight cut during the fight week and the ufc promised Woodley the titleshot, and bizarrely for once they respected their promise. Wonderboy hasn't been promised anything

Back