Woodley vs Diaz, "There is no consumer interest for this fight" - Luke Thomas

Would prefer the rematch with Lawler. However, I think you all would agree with me that the fight that needs to happen is Joe Riggs/Nick Diaz 2 but at the ER, not in the cage. Does Reebok make hospital gowns? I dare you watch this video and argue against this. If only smart phones were as common back then. Lucky hospital staff that witnessed such a glorious moment in MMA history.

Imagine Bruce Buffer "Live..... from St. Joseph Medical Center!"

I like the match actually. Still, being out that long shouldn't warrant a title shot.

Who is Luke Thomas and why should we care what he has to say?

Putting Duckley vs Diaz on 202 wouldn't affect PPV-sales at all.

Nick Diaz is not a draw and never was

Sadly, I think Woodley/Diaz would do better than Woodley/WB on name recognition, alone. People know who Nick is and the hype he can generate by simply being a Diaz. I don't think it's quite accurate to say that Diaz isn't a draw. With him fighting someone as irrelevant as Woodley (as I said, the championship matters here, not the holder in this case) it would need a good supporting card, but Nick's name on there would get the card some more buys, for sure.

Maybe the NBA should just have LA vs Boston or NY in the finals every year, since that would have the best ratings.

They made a poll and like 85%+ wanted Wonderboy vs Woodley over him.

I agree Woodley vs Nick isn't a money fight. If that fight was headlining a PPV and the rest of the card wasn't stacked how many PPV buys you think it'd get? I doubt over 300k.

Nick hasn't wont a fight in 4 years and has been out for almost 2. That's relevant. People think because he was a draw with GSP and Silva he'd be a draw with Woodley and I don't think its the case. People don't want to see a guy who hasn't won a fight in 4 years fight for a title besides giant diaz nuthuggers.
yet people still think Khabib has a chance at the belt...

I don't want to see Diaz vs Woodley. Diaz doesn't deserve to fight a champion while Wonderboy does. Give Wonderboy his shot
Plus, Diaz doesn't even care to fight for the title while Wonderboy is working for just that!

Money fight doesn't strictly mean "million+ buys". Woodley vs Diaz won't do GSP, Brock, Conor, or ronda numbers but itll make more than your average card. Diaz vs Woodley makes more than WB vs Woodley.
Brick, Conor, and Ronda prove that you don't need 2 stars to make money fights happen. You'll probably make more with 2, but 1 guy can sell a fight.
People are thinking too short term on this as well. If Diaz wins and becomes champ....the attention and money that would bring to the division. ..

Woodley wont sell shit. Why would nick fight him?

I agree, I don't want that fight, there is absolutely nothing interesting about Woodley so he have nothing to do with "money" fights, Woodley vs WB should be next

Of all the fights you could make with Nick Diaz, Diaz vs Woodley is one of the worst.

Agreed but the idea of nick with the belt would sell like crazy. Tyron doesn't have the movement nor the technical striking to keep nick at bay. I suppose he could sit on him for 5 rounds but that's a tall order.

He said that on the MMA Beat LIve today. Is this true? I disagree with him. Would love to see this fight. What say you Sherdog? Mod, please create poll if possible. Thanks.

luke has insight into article clicks and video views on one of the biggest mma websites....that insight/knowledge is probably what he bases his statements on.

I hope Nick declines the fight. Just because you're champ doesn't mean you can call the shots over the division and its fighters, it just means you're the man to beat. Makes me wonder what on earth is going on with the contracts at UFC. I'm sure "permission to act like a spoilt entitled arsehole once a belt is around ones waiste" is not part of the small print.

I'd love to see nick vs ronda tbh. There is a money fight.

I don't believe Nick Diaz is a needlemover. I sure ain't paying to order a PPV starring him after seeing him vs. Anderson Silva especially lying on the ground like a supermodel pose.

Timing is everything. I'd like to watch Woodley-Diaz, but not now. Nick Diaz is a good fighter and fun to watch, but he has no business fighting the man with the welterweight belt.

If Woodley can get GSP to commit to fighting him then that is the fight to make. Otherwise, he ought to fight Thompson.

I can respect Woodley for trying to get the biggest possible fight for himself. If he succeeds at landing the GSP fight that would be huge for his career. But if the UFC sets up the Diaz fight, they will be further eroding whatever confidence in their seriousness is left after Henderson-Bisping 2.

we need a poll.

luke is a bitch.

even if he's right. he's still a bitch.

Little known fact nick diaz ducked woodley in strike force when nick had the belt.

Back