Woodley is faster than Thompson and has more powerful hands and kicks

Lawler was barely a betting favorite over Woodley - only -130. I don't know where the perception of him being a heavy favorite come from.

Maybe it's this forum's favoritism. Lawler is much more popular.

Thompson will likely be favored over Woodley, but not heavily. Woodley can easily win. The line will be tight.

it's definitely not favoritism. Lawler opened a pretty big favorite. and the line evened up a lot as the fight got closer. simple.

it's definitely not favoritism. Lawler opened a pretty big favorite. and the line evened up a lot as the fight got closer. simple.
According to bestfigtodds he opened at -230, which is significant but not a "big" favorite by any means. -400 is big. A -230 favorite losing is a mild upset.

But it's the closing line that matters most, and by that it was hardly an upset at all. Yet the perception is that Lawler was "supposed" to win. I'm not sure where this comes from.

I do think Lawler being preferred by Sherdoggers plays a role - if you had a "who wins" poll here, Lawler would likely have been winning by much more than the last betting line.

Tyron has incredible closing speed, which he's going to need to use against Wonderboy since he will be kept at distance. He normally uses it best when he's pushing the action. He can certainly KO anyone in the division with his power. He does have some excellent power in his kicks, but nowhere near the versatility.

This fight is really interesting because it's a test to see who can force their fight. Wonderboy has gotten very comfortable with pressuring others in the cage. If Tyron reverts to his tentative defensive posture, that could be bad for him. But if Tyron can force inside pressure on Stephen, that will be difficult for him as well.

There's a ? surrounding Woodley should it go to the championship rounds as he's only been there in the once before in a fight that didn't go the distance. I look forward to this fight. I favor Wonderboy, but I won't dismiss either man as having a possibility of winning. A win would be a definitive point in either man's career.

According to bestfigtodds he opened at -230, which is significant but not a "big" favorite by any means. -400 is big. A -230 favorite losing is a mild upset.

But it's the closing line that matters most, and by that it was hardly an upset at all. Yet the perception is that Lawler was "supposed" to win. I'm not sure where this comes from.

I do think Lawler being preferred by Sherdoggers plays a role - if you had a "who wins" poll here, Lawler would likely have been winning by much more than the last betting line.

lawler opened -280 not -230 which imo is a (reasonably) big fav but it's pretty subjective anyway. and there was valid reasoning for ppl to fade woodley (robbie too) after his long lay-off but yeah some of it probably was due to his fan friendly style.

Show me a fight where Woodley has landed any sort of effective kick?
Not being funny buy honestly can't remember him kicking anybody of note, other than a few let kicks to Rory.

He may have technically more powerful kicks but he isn't going to be anywhere near Wonderboy to land them

Condit?

Aldo never had more power than conor, neither did he have better boxing. Just pointing that out.

He had better boxing. The first punch ending the fight doesn't change that.

"more powerful kicks"

giphy.gif

He had better boxing. The first punch ending the fight doesn't change that.
If he had better boxing he wouldnt be rushing in with wide hooks against the taller man with longer reach like he did.

He could also close fast and get a foot in the jaw or find Thompson not even there and gas himself out. Thompson wins this fight easy unless Woodley can get him on the ground and pound him out. Thompson has been dealing with "explosive" fighters all his life WTF you think Karate tournaments are all about? Especially the point fighting ones.

Watch Rory school Ty-run and just know WB does everything Rory did 5x better.

You'll understand why he's TY-running.

If he had better boxing he wouldnt be rushing in with wide hooks against the taller man with longer reach like he did.

Aldo has a ridiculous jab, great combos, usually has very good defense, and his footwork is generally on point. Compare Aldo's last fight to any of Conor's fights, and you see a stark contrast between a guy who's technically proficient, and a guy who hits hard.

I could definitely see Woodley closing the distance and landing something big as he is faster than Thompson. Woodley may well catch Thompson with a unexpected kick. Woodley could take him down and smash him there as well. Woodley has more ways to win this fight than Thompson that is for sure.

I don't think Thompson is as invincible or unbeatable like his fans think he is. After all Lawler was supposed to definitely beat Woodley with ease as most everybody on this forum thought. I picked Woodley to beat Lawler as well.

What's up Woodley. I know it's you, I have this tracer IP address locator.

Aldo has a ridiculous jab, great combos, usually has very good defense, and his footwork is generally on point. Compare Aldo's last fight to any of Conor's fights, and you see a stark contrast between a guy who's technically proficient, and a guy who hits hard.
Conor has so much power at FW that ppl overlook his actual technique. Hes also got really good footwork and is really good at sneaking in that left hand and walking his opponents down. He corners guys against the cage and hits them from a distance they cant hit him.

Conor has so much power at FW that ppl overlook his actual technique. Hes also got really good footwork and is really good at sneaking in that left hand and walking his opponents down. He corners guys against the cage and hits them from a distance they cant hit him.

Cornering guys against the cage and hitting them from a distance they can't hit him isn't indicative of superior boxing. That's indicative of having a long reach.

Cornering guys against the cage and hitting them from a distance they can't hit him isn't indicative of superior boxing. That's indicative of having a long reach.
True , but it also takes skills. Lots of guys have long reaches they dont even utilize correctly. And conor does it very good

Thompson would pick Woodley apart like Rory did.

Okay lets pretend that's true. Wonderboys kicks are still better.

True , but it also takes skills. Lots of guys have long reaches they dont even utilize correctly. And conor does it very good

That doesn't make him a super technical striker. It just makes him someone who's self aware enough to utilize his natural tools. We're debating whether he has better boxing than Aldo. The fact that he's longer isn't a skill, it's not a technical facet of the game, it's not something one can improve through training.

He's more powerful in general but his kicks aren't more powerful than Wonderboy's. I hope you're kidding.

Back