Woodley has a pretty easy path to get at least 6 or 7 title defenses

So beating Woodley would be bigger than being a 3 division champion?

Well, yeah.

Georges fighting a lightweight isn't really a legacy maker, although it would continue to prove that he's a consummate professional. If he can figure out a way to shed enough muscle and do a hero weight cut to make a scale read '155 lbs' that is an accomplishment.

With his frame and reach he is much bigger than the average lightweight. It's not particularly impressive to me when someone figures out how to pull off extreme weight cuts.

Beating Tyron Woodley, who right now has a claim to being one of the best welterweights of all time, would be incredible.

The division is not what it was when GSP was king. It used to be a real shark tank. Now it is a division full of whatevers.
Woodley is the best WW but he's stuck, with no competition I can't see a way for him to be GOAT. If you defend twenty times and face three quality opponents, so what?
This is the UFC's fault for doing a shitty job of promoting their current up and comers.

They go all in on Mike Perry and still but ignore Usman, Ponzinibiwhatever, so these guys get no respect, but are they less dangerous than the Fitch's and Alves'?
Thiago Alves was promoted to be a killer for UFC 100. Now the UFC can't even be bothered to promote the 4x defending CHAMP.

If gsp beats this prime Woodley he is the undisputed GOAT. Me as a fan would love to see that
You don't decide when anyone becomes undisputed greatest of all time.

No matter who GSP beats, it will always be disputed.

Yea, being the first three division champion is such an easy thing.
Did some quick analysis on GSP's title contenders. Here you go:

Good post. Thanks for the effort.

I still don't think the modern WWs are some grand departure from the old. Of course the sport evolves and people get better.

However, outside of Woodely, not one of them poses any serious threat to GSP. Your whole gist is that GSP (2010) wouldn't be special in 2018, and that's rubbish. He fucks up most all of these guys in fairly lopsided beatings. So you're kinda right... the sport does get better, but you're clearly trying to diminish GSP's legacy by not admitting he schools most of the Top 10 of today, and also suggesting GSP's title fights were against lesser fighters, despite the fact that he literally faced everyone put in front of him. He can't magically send Usman back in time to 2009 to see how he does, so it's just an attempt to besmirch Georges.

Keep in mind, I am ALL FOR GSP fighting Woodley and staying at 170. But I can't pretend that he 1) hasn't earned the spot to demand big money fights, and 2) I can't pretend that going down as a champion at 155, 170, and 185 is somehow not one of the single greatest feathers for any fighter's cap. Conor opened the door for the Spectacle Fight and it sucks and all, but that's the path WME is taking us down.

Trust me, I want to see him at 170, but I'm not gonna pretend his legacy is going to vanish for not fighting Woodley.

If gsp beats this prime Woodley he is the undisputed GOAT. Me as a fan would love to see that
I agree. But that seems a much tougher fight then the winner of Khabib/Conor which makes him the first ever 3 weight champ.

Pozni is much better fighter than till and wonderboy right now. Till is probably the most overrated welterweight title challenger i saw for a while. I dont get the hype behind him.

I like Ponzi but no, he struggled with fucking Mike Perry

<{cruzshake}>

I think he realized that and for his post-fight comments he said line them up.

I didnt like all his goat talk so early in his reign and agree he needs to shut-up, fight whoever they put there next, and keep knocking them down. After you do that several times over and over, its hard to doubt your status.

The division is not what it was when GSP was king. It used to be a real shark tank. Now it is a division full of whatevers.
Woodley is the best WW but he's stuck, with no competition I can't see a way for him to be GOAT. If you defend twenty times and face three quality opponents, so what?
Plus he has a loss to the current Bellator champ. And its not like Rory was some veteran getting a win over an unpolished young gun in Woodley, Rory is younger and has the higher ceiling. Woodley has barely evolved at all since that fight, his game is basically the same while Rory has probably improved more.

Yea, being the first three division champion is such an easy thing.

Good post. Thanks for the effort.

I still don't think the modern WWs are some grand departure from the old. Of course the sport evolves and people get better.

However, outside of Woodely, not one of them poses any serious threat to GSP. Your whole gist is that GSP (2010) wouldn't be special in 2018, and that's rubbish. He fucks up most all of these guys in fairly lopsided beatings. So you're kinda right... the sport does get better, but you're clearly trying to diminish GSP's legacy by not admitting he schools most of the Top 10 of today, and also suggesting GSP's title fights were against lesser fighters, despite the fact that he literally faced everyone put in front of him. He can't magically send Usman back in time to 2009 to see how he does, so it's just an attempt to besmirch Georges.

Keep in mind, I am ALL FOR GSP fighting Woodley and staying at 170. But I can't pretend that he 1) hasn't earned the spot to demand big money fights, and 2) I can't pretend that going down as a champion at 155, 170, and 185 is somehow not one of the single greatest feathers for any fighter's cap. Conor opened the door for the Spectacle Fight and it sucks and all, but that's the path WME is taking us down.

Trust me, I want to see him at 170, but I'm not gonna pretend his legacy is going to vanish for not fighting Woodley.
I never said GSP is not great, that's why I want him to fight Woodley. If Woodley racks up 3 or 4 more title defences then there will be debate on the GOAT WW. At the moment it's GSP.

jake shields would lose to Covington and usman and he was gsp's best win imo.
That's your conjecture. You want to know what's not conjecture? Tyron Woodley losing to Jake Shields.

jake-shields-kicks-tyron-woodley-in-their-welterweight-fight-during-picture-id170637256

20130615072238_aaaa.JPG

After Covington and Usman it's hard to see what contenders are available for him who would add much to his legacy. Can't really see anyone else who could rise to a title shot in the next year, maybe RDA with a couple of wins?

If anything gsp wants woodley to clean out colby and usman before they fight

lol what competition is much better now.
usman Covington alone would beat all of gsp's opponents including shields and Condit.

Covington would be absolutely fucked against prime Hendricks and Koscheck. Heck probably prime Ellenberger and Lombard as well. The division had some beast wrestlers with major KO power back then.

it's never easy. and it's what separates the very good fighters from all time great fighters*.

i look forward to seeing if he can keep this string of defenses going another few years.

*of course some fighters never recover from the 'ya but there was weak competition in that era' argument. the most extreme example of this is Larry Holmes.

Last edited:
LOL.

GSP has gotten caught twice by Hughes and Serra, and then avenged those loses in brutal fashion. Tyron got beat brutally by Marquardt, neutralized by Shields, and embarrassed by Rory, and hasn't avenged any of those losses.

The Woodley/Wonderboy fights could have gone either way.

Till was less proven than anyone GSP fought in his title reign.

Prime Condit/Diaz/Alves/Fitch/Shields are better wins than any Tyron has or could currently get in the coming years.
woodley kko'd prime Condit. No lel condit dint huet himself. woodley CAUSED the injury with a takedown. he inflicted pain and made Condit wince. maia destroyed Condit. maia beats all on that list. rofl elves gtfo. Diaz is a joke vs wrestlers. shields is the only one I respect but Covington and usman would comfortably beat him.

Pozni is much better fighter than till and wonderboy right now. Till is probably the most overrated welterweight title challenger i saw for a while. I dont get the hype behind him.
no he isn't. wonderboy would beat ponzi and so would till. i love ponzi but he had a war with mike fucking perry. anything to discredit tyron right?

Covington would be absolutely fucked against prime Hendricks and Koscheck. Heck probably prime Ellenberger and Lombard as well. The division had some beast wrestlers with major KO power back then.
usman would smash all of them. wondeeboy would too. wonderboy already raped Hendricks anyway. Lombard the steroid posing Manley? Nhaa.

woodley kko'd prime Condit. No lel condit dint huet himself. woodley CAUSED the injury with a takedown. he inflicted pain and made Condit wince. maia destroyed Condit. maia beats all on that list. rofl elves gtfo. Diaz is a joke vs wrestlers. shields is the only one I respect but Covington and usman would comfortably beat him.

You clearly don't understand the concept of a fighter's PRIME.

Back