Woodley has a pretty easy path to get at least 6 or 7 title defenses

The division is not what it was when GSP was king. It used to be a real shark tank. Now it is a division full of whatevers.
Woodley is the best WW but he's stuck, with no competition I can't see a way for him to be GOAT. If you defend twenty times and face three quality opponents, so what?

There was always someone on a tear to challenge GSP back then, even 2 or 3 guys with winning streaks, highlight KO... I hate to see people bash on GSP's past opponents, because they did nothing great after GSP, but when those fight happened they were all top 3 fighters at their peaks. GSP just broke them

On his second run he had

Jon Fitch who was winning all the time and went for another 5 wins after being utterly dominated by GSP
BJ Penn was small but a P4P great at the time
Thiago Alves had 5 TKOs just before their fight and had won agianst Koscheck who was a top fighter
Dan Hardy was a UFC poster boy for the Brits but he was still on a 7 win streak with 5 finishes
Josh Koscheck was a big name, with notable wins, maybe the only one with Diaz that talked is way to a GSP match
Jake Shields was known as a winning machine he was on a 15 win streak, the MW Strikeforce champ he won to Dan Henderson...
Condit was interim champ and as legit as they come
Diaz kind of talked is way to go ahead of Hendricks, but he was still a legend with a 11 win streak before the condit running match
Hendricks was having wins and highlight KOs all the time for 5 years he was 15-1 when he fought GSP

After GSP it was still very good with Hendricks, Lawler, Wonder Boy, Rory, Woodley and Condit

But now, that well is dry, nobody can put together some momentum

I think all of those fights are tough fights that present challenges. Usman is on a 12 fight streak. Colby on a 6 fight streak, Ponzinibbio on a 6 fight streak.

Classic sherdog, though. Just because you don't like the guy doesn't mean his competition is weak.
Darren Till was kinda weak, I'll give you that.
But was Demian Maia weak competition? No? Then why are the guys who beat him?

Take off your nostalgia lenses, the young WWs of today beat most of GSPs opposition with ease.
I do not see it that way. Even if that is true, the WW contenders of today, and Woodley, do not beat GSP. In fact I might go so far as to say that the contenders would not beat GSP today. But I'd have to give that some thought.

If gsp beats this prime Woodley he is the undisputed GOAT. Me as a fan would love to see that
absolutely. huge tyron fan but if gsp beats this Woodley, he is undoubtedly the GOAT. Prime Gsp is the one that fought Hendricks, Condit and Diaz imo though. IN saying that Woodley would wreck all 3 anyway so it's hard to predict a winner between good and gsp using mma math.

Care to elaborate on this? Like give some break downs of the current top 10 and how they would maul the top 10 from like 5-10 years ago? I don't see a dramatic shift in skills sets and overall depth, so your analysis would be welcome here.
jake shields would lose to Covington and usman and he was gsp's best win imo.

Ponzibio Usman and Colby easy fights? {<BJPeen}
he beats Colby comfortably. he would beat usman because he is the better version of him. pozni is another striker with less tools than till and wonderboy. would be a win for twood. if he gets to 7 title defenses then that's good enough to be on par with gsp given the level of competition Woodley is likey to have faced over time.

jake shields would lose to Covington and usman and he was gsp's best win imo.

No no no. The guy I quoted obviously knows so much about the current and past MMA landscape. I need him to answer.

He's stated he wants to give fans big memorable fights. Clearly he doesn't feel Woodley will do that. He also would like to do something huge in his own words, and most take that to mean being a three division champ. Hence he's slimming down to 155.
Woodley is far more memorable than bisping

The division is not what it was when GSP was king. It used to be a real shark tank. Now it is a division full of whatevers.
Woodley is the best WW but he's stuck, with no competition I can't see a way for him to be GOAT. If you defend twenty times and face three quality opponents, so what?
lol what competition is much better now.
usman Covington alone would beat all of gsp's opponents including shields and Condit.

Take off your nostalgia lenses, the young WWs of today beat most of GSPs opposition with ease.
Maybe he means they had bigger makes ( more promotions to build up champs to come over like shields, Condit, Diaz.)

Would totally watch that.
It will happen. I have been rooting from my previous account for Khabib since there were like a total of 2 fans of his on this board. For years I heard shit like he is a wet blanket, hed get ranked by a top 20 to a top 10 to a top5 to now a top 3. He will keep on getting discredited but let him get to 30-0 and all these salty haters will start to look like absolute morons. People don't realize how close he is to becoming one true GOAT. In 2 days he will be 10 years undefeated, what people used to praise Fedor for with their mouths open in awe.

So beating Woodley would be bigger than being a 3 division champion?

He hand picked bisping and ducked whitaker. He ducking woodley and hes only going to fight mcgregor because he things je can wrestle fuck him.. love gsp but hes picking ez fights for legacy and money. If he was really bout it hed be fighting tyron. Facts and he woulda defended against whitaker

GSP is 40. This is not really fair.

In his prime I would say GSP. Ya'll musta forgot.

I agree. However the jbg in me would love to see the argument settled

As a Canadian and GSP fan I would love to see it too, but I understand it's not going to happen because GSP has proved himself and everyone is chasing him. At this point, I just want to see him fight and put on a good show like he did against Bisping.

Ponzinibbio is not easy.

Wasteland and ban TS. Is just another Woodley hater.

No no no. The guy I quoted obviously knows so much about the current and past MMA landscape. I need him to answer.
yes yes yes. usman is a better striker than shields. he is stronger, faster, powerful, has better cardio and can outgrapple even shields. He also hits harder, closes distance better, has a better chin and times his moves more precisely. He also anticipates opponent's moves faster.

yes yes yes. usman is a better striker than shields. he is stronger, faster, powerful, has better cardio and can outgrapple even shields. He also hits harder, closes distance better, has a better chin and times his moves more precisely. He also anticipates opponent's moves faster.

Dude..... stop.

I am talking to someone else. Hence I quoted them. That's how quotations work.

He hand picked bisping....

This is true. He returned after four years away and fought the reigning champion in the weight class above himself. Yes, we all know that.

love gsp but hes picking ez fights

I know right. He totally picked an easy path in MMA. I mean just look at his record. Such an easy career. Barely any notable wins in there at all. And he returns back and wants to be the first three division champion? That's so easy, anyone can do it.

Back