Wonderboy vs Venom anyone?

Bertie Mcduffy

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I know that Michael "Venom" Page has not beaten anyone close to Big Rig, but just seeing the styles makes me salivate for a possible clash between these two down the line!

Would be a nice stylistic match up but just to state the obvious, that won't be happening any time soon.

A. Because Page is nowhere near Wonderboy's level or ranking.
B. Page is under an exclusive contract to Bellator.

Would be a nice stylistic match up but just to state the obvious, that won't be happening any time soon.

A. Because Page is nowhere near Wonderboy's level or ranking.
B. Page is under an exclusive contract to Bellator.
Wonderboy is probably much more well rounded, but in a stand up fight, Page is definitely on his level... it would be spectacular.

Wonderboy is probably much more well rounded, but in a stand up fight, Page is definitely on his level... it would be spectacular.
Page has some flashy striking for sure but he's faces hand picked opponents. I can't tell if he's really good or if it's bc they just stand there and let him land what ever he wants. Anyone would look good fighting cans who don't know you can fight back.

We're talking about MMA here though, not Karate or Kickboxing. Thompson is lightyears ahead of Page when it comes to MMA. Page had to be put down the pecking order in Bellator after Nah-Shon Burrell gave him trouble.

Don't get me wrong, the thought of a stand up battle between the 2 is a fantastic thought but will remain merely a thought for the forseeable future.

Page needs to fight someone with a pulse.

Page has some flashy striking for sure but he's faces hand picked opponents. I can't tell if he's really good or if it's bc they just stand there and let him land what ever he wants. Anyone would look good fighting cans who don't know you can fight back.

No doubt be has great standup for an MMA fighter. However that style of point kickboxing will leave him more vulnerable to takedowns and pressure heavy fighters. Like I mentione Nah-Shon Burrell gave him serious issues but that was actually a decent name compared to the likes of the journeyman he's fought so far; Rudy Bears, Charlie Ontiveros etc. Ricky Rainey was alsoa decent enough name but no-one can deny his opponents have been severely hand picked.

I look spectacular when I tap white belts, I'm waiting for Dana to call and ask me to fight Maia for a titleshot at WW.

It's hard to say how well he will cope with a much higher quality of opponent, but I can most certainly tell his striking is up there with the best in all of MMA.

It's hard to say how well he will cope with a much higher quality of opponent, but I can most certainly tell his striking is up there with the best in all of MMA.

In straight striking, I'd agree. But as you that doesn't always translate to MMA. For instance, I'd say he was a better pure striker than say Lorenz Larkin. But I'd take Larkin to run through Page on the feet in an MMA fight.

I don't know what accomplishments Page has have outside of MMA...Not sure if he was competing in kick boxing or karate...I think Wonderboy knocks without using kicks...

We're talking about MMA here though, not Karate or Kickboxing. Thompson is lightyears ahead of Page when it comes to MMA. Page had to be put down the pecking order in Bellator after Nah-Shon Burrell gave him trouble.

Don't get me wrong, the thought of a stand up battle between the 2 is a fantastic thought but will remain merely a thought for the forseeable future.
Of course, and I agree that MVP has a lot to do to be taken seriously as a WW, but in an MMA match with Wonderboy, I would expect the entire fight to take place on the feet, so Wonderboy having better wrestling most likely wouldn't come into the equation unless he is losing, I always look forward to watching both guys fight, I think Thomson has faster and more accurate kicks, but I think MVP has the more effective hands and better movement, it's a dream match up for me.

In straight striking, I'd agree. But as you that doesn't always translate to MMA. For instance, I'd say he was a better pure striker than say Lorenz Larkin. But I'd take Larkin to run through Page on the feet in an MMA fight.
I disagree, Larkin would become a wrestler within a minute of the first round.

I disagree, Larkin would become a wrestler within a minute of the first round.

Use the clinch and work from the inside maybe, but he wouldn't need to try blanket Page in my opinion. Hate to keep mentioing it but Burrell showed Page is still vulnerable on the inside albeit he had very little output when he got it there.

If Larkin could mix up the clinch and takedown attempts he'd give Page a lot to worry about and as we've seen before that can lead to the "inferior striker" winning the standup exchanges.

Use the clinch and work from the inside maybe, but he wouldn't need to try blanket Page in my opinion. Hate to keep mentioing it but Burrell showed Page is still vulnerable on the inside albeit he had very little output when he got it there.

If Larkin could mix up the clinch and takedown attempts he'd give Page a lot to worry about and as we've seen before that can lead to the "inferior striker" winning the standup exchanges.
I really don't know if MVP could beat Larkin in an MMA fight but I think MVP will have learned a lot from the Burrell fight, and I see Larkin needing to rely on take downs to win that fight.

Whoa time out. Does page have a 57-0 kickboxing record?

Nah-Shon Burrell
October 10, 2014 - Loss - Michael Page (decision, unanimous)
May 25, 2013 - Loss - Stephen Thompson (decision, unanimous)

Nah-Shon Burrell
October 10, 2014 - Loss - Michael Page (decision, unanimous)
May 25, 2013 - Loss - Stephen Thompson (decision, unanimous)

Well we aren't all plastic fans that get our "knowledge" from Fight Finder.

Some of us actually have the ability to do this weird thing called "watching fights" and get this, this will blow your brains! Some of us (bear with me here) can actually analyse what's going on and even see what some fighters strengths and weaknesses are.

You probably won't believe something that crazy but I swear it's the truth.

Plus Thompson has improved greatly since that fight and now trains day in day out with Weidman, so he's actively trying to improve his grappling and has since then (3 years ago).

Page still trains in the UK at the moment and isn't cutting his teeth against the same level of competition so we really don't know how much he has/will improve.

Thompson has endured the the tough fights and lost, he's realised grappling was his major weakness and has since stuffed the best wrestler in the Welterweight division in former champ Johny Hendricks.

Page has gone on to fight Rudy Bears, Charlie Ontiveros and now finally is stepping up ever so slightly taking on Fernando Gonzalez soon.

Not to knock the guy, he's exciting and great for MMA but Thompson right now is the much better MMA fighter.

Last edited:
Wonderboy is Escape\SEGA, Venom is Marvel.
Hard to book.

Back