Wonderboy vs Silva

sssleeper

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Anderson has said in a few interviews that the Hall fight is potentially his last. In most interviews he doesn't seem fully committed to retiring.

If he wins the Hall fight and has one more left in the tank then what do you think of WB going up to give him his final bout?

I mean id watch but feels pretty random ... I'd imagine theres a large amount of fights more likely.

I would have rather they made that fight than the Hall one. At least give nearly-46-year-old Anderson a size advantage.

I've been banging the drum for Anderson vs Lawler ever since Lawler lost the strap at UFC 201.

Wonderboy is the best striker in UFC history, he would outclass Oldva

Yoel Romero should be the one to face Anderson Silva in his retirement fight.

Wonderboy is the best striker in UFC history, he would outclass Oldva

His striking has some gaping holes that Woodley exploited in both fights and Till in my opinion wasn't near the best striker at 170lbs or 185lbs and he went toe to toe for 5 rounds with Thompson who didn't have much of an answer when someone with his own range played a calculated game too.

Thompson's amazing, one of the best at translating his Karate into MMA ever along with Lyoto. His kickboxing pedigree is a joke though, 54-0-1 and never fought a ranked or known kickboxer besides Raymond Daniels who he initially lost to via injury? Raymond went on to have real kickboxing bouts unlike Thompson.

Wonderboy is a great striker but I don't even think he stands clearly as the best at 170 let alone ever lol.

I feel like Thompson is a better striker even if we're talking prime Siliva.. Silva has ground and chin advantage though and also more weight and power so he could easily catch Thompson. Prime Thompson is a very unique and elusive puzzle for anyone to solve. Nice clinch work with heavy hands is his kryptonite. Would also be hilarious seeing prime Silva fight somone with their hands down at thier waist. How he'd react would be hysterical.

Yoel Romero should be the one to face Anderson Silva in his retirement fight.
Silva would die
ipvJhxj.gif

Reactions: Ruv
His striking has some gaping holes that Woodley exploited in both fights and Till in my opinion wasn't near the best striker at 170lbs or 185lbs and he went toe to toe for 5 rounds with Thompson who didn't have much of an answer when someone with his own range played a calculated game too.

Thompson's amazing, one of the best at translating his Karate into MMA ever along with Lyoto. His kickboxing pedigree is a joke though, 54-0-1 and never fought a ranked or known kickboxer besides Raymond Daniels who he initially lost to via injury? Raymond went on to have real kickboxing bouts unlike Thompson.

Wonderboy is a great striker but I don't even think he stands clearly as the best at 170 let alone ever lol.

Who is a better striker at 170 do you think?

All these guys would get dismantled by prime silva, fighting a damn near 50 year old legend smh.

Who is a better striker at 170 do you think?

I said I don't think he stands clearly as the best striker at 170lbs. I would not call someone wrong if they felt he was though.

Ive seen a few things from Thompson, when he does the 1 2 or 1 2 rear high kick or 1 2 1 2 he tends to square up or shift his legs, he already keeps his hands low and wide so he's susceptible down the middle but when squaring up or crossing your legs like that you're super vulnerable and Woodley timed and exposed it a lot in their fights but Woodley lacks stamina and therefore has always been a low output kinda guy who pot shots and sits back out of range which plays into Thompson keeping him at the end of his kicks and probing punches.

I also saw in Thompson vs Till and to a lesser extent Rory, his activity and effectiveness at range plummets when he doesn't get to command that long almost points karate distance he's best at. He seems uncomfortable and timid under those circumstances, but lucky for him he's fought very few long guys with effective striking.

Lastly I think the Matt Brown fight to this day is telling, Brown fought Thompson with pressure, was dirty in the clinch, understood he needed to take some shots to get his and even dropped Thompson standing to get it to the ground initially if my memory serves me right (it was a while ago).

Thompson killed Hendricks and Ellenberger when they were already quite washed up and his knockout vs Whittaker isn't that impressive, Whittaker was 23 and coming off a loss to court McGee. He did pick apart Masvidal which is significant but Mas sometimes just doesn't show up and outclassing Luque whos a solid striker and in the top 15 shows us even at 36-37 hes still got it.

I'll even say the Pettis fight was telling, while I think Thompson was the better man on the night and just got caught...His defensive footwork when crowded or his headmovement in general is really bad for the level or striker he is...His head doesnt move and it's straight up in the air, his hands are wide apart and low so almost never any kind of guard to block, deflect or pary.

Do I think a guy like Burns, Neal or Lima could give him trouble? Absolutely, Burns has faster hands and if he's willing to get on the inside and bring the fight I think he has a very realistic chance of beating Thompson on the feet or knocking him out. Neal is nasty and has really tight pocket work and powerful kicks too, good enough speed and a lot more power too. Lima...I know he had a piss poor performance vs Mousasi but he matches Thompson range wise and Thompson has a wide stance ripe for leg kicking which means Lima wins the tentative fight and forces Thompson out of his counter striker game plan....Thompsons hittable from there and I don't think he likes being hit, Lima also hits way harder and is more explosive.

Just my 2cents, Im sure theyre garbage.

Thompson is a strange fighter. First off, i think he has the frame to bulk up to middleweight and not be undersized if he wanted. I also think he'd embrass somone like Whittaker (again). But a guy like Yoel would leave him motionless on the canvas, he's just too unpredictable with insane power. Styles make fights and Wonderboy does favourably with a lot of people

Thompson is a strange fighter. First off, i think he has the frame to bulk up to middleweight and not be undersized if he wanted. I also think he'd embrass somone like Whittaker (again). But a guy like Yoel would leave him motionless on the canvas, he's just too unpredictable with insane power. Styles make fights and Wonderboy does favourably with a lot of people

Thompson would need to put on a lot of muscle, he walks around about 185lbs, he's got a decent frame but he's not close to big by WW standards....Usman is at most an inch shorter than Thompson and has a longer reach, is a bigger man Thompson and Usman would be on the smaller side of MWs. Thompson's 37, I think even if he took a ton of PEDs and really focused on muscle gaining, he'd struggle to put on that 12-15lbs of muscle within 18 months to be a reasonably sized MW. I also think some guys, like Romero and Costa, shit maybe even Gastelum or Brunson etc would pressure him and not respect his power....and hit way to fucking hard for Thompson to handle it. Then a guy like Izzy is just younger, sharper and way longer...whats Thompson gonna do?

Whittaker won Aus nationals in wrestling at 208lbs at 27 in 2018, Whittaker got knocked out by Thompson in 2014 at 23 years old. A lot happens over 5 years...Whittaker was 11-3 going into the Thompson fight at 23 years old (he's went 11-1 in the UFC since the Thompson loss) and I honestly thought he was another TUF winner that was an absolute flop of a fighter at the time. He was young and had no experience, Meanwhile Thompson was 31...in his prime and had, had a lifetime of experience in Kickboxing, training with GSP at tristar even before his UFC debut etc. I can respect someone thinking Thompson wins the rematch but I'd favor Rob largely at this point.

Back