News Wonderboy vs Geoff Neal targeted for Dec. 19. Same card as Chimaev vs Edwards

Who Wins?

• Wonderboy Thompson

• Geoff Neal

Results are only viewable after voting.
Randomly? You mean like Cormier had kidney failure when he was competing in the olympics?

It comes from bad repeated weight cuts.

He's 5'11" but look at his build... Buddy should be fighting at 185

8o1KkBM.jpg

You mean like when he wasn't in the middle of a weight cut, 9 months removed from his last fight, not peaking towards the middle of a strenuous fight camp(let alone competing at an olympic level), all the while just living his normal life and literally at his supposed healthiest? Yeah, that's what I would call random since there was no way to predict he'd be in renal failure if he's never divulged that in his past medical history. Read his Instagram post, even he admits it's bad luck. If it happened during a weight cut then I'd agree that's not random, as the weight cut itself is more likely to precipitate his kidneys failing. This shit literally fell out of the sky and bopped him on the head.

So counter strikers never take a step back is what you're saying?

Lol bro...just leave the MMA talk to smart people
Lmao Neal flurrying at Price over and over again suggests he isn't a counter striker dumby lol. You guys think every southpaw with a straight left is a counter puncher.

You mean like when he wasn't in the middle of a weight cut, 9 months removed from his last fight, not peaking towards the middle of a strenuous fight camp(let alone competing at an olympic level), all the while just living his normal life and literally at his supposed healthiest? Yeah, that's what I would call random since there was no way to predict he'd be in renal failure if he's never divulged that in his past medical history. If it happened during a weight cut then I'd agree that's not random, as the weight cut itself is more likely to precipitate his kidneys failing. This shit literally fell out of the sky and bopped him on the head.

So he says... Guys do test weight cuts all the time. Maybe there was talk of a fight and he started the process and then stopped.

Weight cutting is insanely tough on the kidneys. Neal cuts a ton of weight to make 170. Looks like it may have caught up with him.

Fighters don't live normal lives, they train daily. The guys that binge and then super cut weight typically suffer the most.

Cormier talked about it I believe on Rogan and actually Hendo talked about cutting in an interview a few years ago as well.

Wonderboy won't take this imo

Lmao Neal flurrying at Price over and over again suggests he isn't a counter striker dumby lol. You guys think every southpaw with a straight left is a counter puncher.
I never knew counterstrikers could never go forward

Which martial arts dojo did they teach you that in? <Lmaoo>

So he says... Guys do test weight cuts all the time. Maybe there was talk of a fight and he started the process and then stopped.

Weight cutting is insanely tough on the kidneys. Neal cuts a ton of weight to make 170. Looks like it may have caught up with him.

Fighters don't live normal lives, they train daily. The guys that binge and then super cut weight typically suffer the most.

Cormier talked about it I believe on Rogan and actually Hendo talked about cutting in an interview a few years ago as well.

Yeah I agree most of that. If he's now got some chronic kidney damage then he's going to have to reevaluate some things. Rhabdo is pretty hard to get when training hard and most fighters/teams are smart enough these days to titrate or taper their training depending on how they're performing in the gym. I would put most of the blame on the weight cuts. Geoff seems like an honest guy. So without us having access to his bloodwork over the past few years to see his kidney function I'll take his word for it over speculation in this instance.

But if we're talking about something like Izzy's titty.....I don't believe a word he says.

I wonder who Chiesa fights with these matchups being booked.
Edit: Maia

I never knew counterstrikers could never go forward

Which martial arts dojo did they teach you that in? <Lmaoo>
For a "counterstriker" he sure does a lot of rushing at opponents. A lot of his biggest shots come from flurries or going forward. I can see why you have 2 yellow cards brainlet.

Fun scrap - think i will back Neal atm. Hope his recovery is solid....think I read on his Twitter awhile ago that he was doing well.

Kham and Neil are muh picks - card lookin good!

For a "counterstriker" he sure does a lot of rushing at opponents. A lot of his biggest shots come from flurries or going forward. I can see why you have 2 yellow cards brainlet.
Wonderboy does even more rushing, yet he is still a counterstriker lol

You have much to learn, my son.

Every time I bet or root for wonderboy it goes wrong, I’m not sold on Neal yet though. Another good fight, I’m sitting on the fence but excited to see it.

Neall doesnt make weight
Wonderboy doesnt accept him missing weight
Khamzat accepts and fights all three

Neal needs to not be compared to Luque. He’s something else and much more than an “aggressive boxer”. He’s a special talent.

Mike Perry isn’t the most skilled but he makes guys like Ponzi and Luque look average even while losing. He’s got a way of making some superior fighters fight not to the best of their abilities on the feet, but not Neal. Perry got starched with ease.

Wonder boy is his hardest match up so far, but he’s hittable. I think his best days are behind him. Wonderboys style doesn’t age very well and while he beat Luque decisively, he had some scares along the way. I could just be optimistic and looking for holes cause I’m a fan of Neal’s, but I see them. The fight worries me for sure because like I said, this is obviously Neal’s hardest match up so far (and an excellent test), but I’m cautiously going with him to pick up the win.

I’m clearly biased, but I’ll say it. He’s coming for that belt soon after this! Get ready.

Nice! can't wait to see Geoff Neal again, he will light Thompson up brutally and fast I think.

Hell of a fight night card so far. Big fight with Chimaev, great co main event, Marlon vs Font is a banger, Kape the Rizin BW champ making his UFC debut getting thrown right into the fire at 125 pounds vs Pantoja. Danger/Nam is a good scrap.

Edwards/Chimaev
Wonderboy/Neal
Moraes/Font
Kape/Pantoja
Winn/Neto
Nam/Schnell
Glenn/Minus
Belal/TBD

Might be too big a step coming off Mike Perry, Niko Price and Belal. I absolutely love Neal and I can see his only path to victory being superior quickness considering Wonderboy is 37.

Kevin Holland finished Neal and Wonderboy could pose a similar obstacle minus the crazy reach advantage Holland had. I can see Wonderboy piecing Neal up especially if it's a 5 rounder

This is such a good matchup and we will know how good Neal is.

Neal is probably underrated right now because e isnt a big name but he is very dangerous. Pretty tough to say who wins but I think Neal just.

He's the young dangerous fighter working his way up and Thompson is 37 now past his prime

Might be too big a step coming off Mike Perry, Niko Price and Belal. I absolutely love Neal and I can see his only path to victory being superior quickness considering Wonderboy is 37.

Kevin Holland finished Neal and Wonderboy could pose a similar obstacle minus the crazy reach advantage Holland had. I can see Wonderboy piecing Neal up especially if it's a 5 rounder

Yeah, what makes me the most nervous is the big step up in competition. He’s looked like a world beater against decent competition, but not elite yet which is where Wonderboy comes in. I’m holding onto the fact that the Holland loss was nearly 4 years ago so he’s had quite a bit of time to fix his errors while Wonderboy is 37 like you said and has been hittable in his last few fights. I really don’t think his style ages the best and him getting tagged (Woodley, Pettis, Luque even) shows evidence of that. Neal is going to be a shark with that quickness if he smells blood.

I’ll be on the edge of my seat when fight time arrives. I hope he can keep the hype going here.

Back