Wonderboy is the best Welterweight on Planet Earth

tumblr_ogknkvVFUR1vu6duzo4_500.gif

Now your turn @2fast2furious to post a gif of ANYTHING of note Wonderboy did to Tyron in 50 minutes of fighting

Is there a better one on another planet?

I used to train with Stephen and I've known him for a long time. We still bump into each other from time to time. What you see in media is the real deal. He's cool as hell and one of the nicest, most humble guys you will ever meet. His counter striking is off the charts and he kicks like a fucking mule. Deep, penetrating shit that you feel for days. He's certainly one of the best strikers ever in the UFC.

That being said, he passed on a lot of opportunities when he was younger. His sister's husband is one of the best BJJ instructors in the country, if not the world. He had an open invitation to go to Dallas anytime to train. Years ago he spent time as GSP's striking coach (and dance teacher, lol) and had an open invitation to train at TriStar. Then Greg Jackson hired him to work fight camps (one as a Machida clone, I don't remember the others) and invited him to stay at J/W. I wish he would have broken from the family business long enough to take advantage of the opportunities, but he is as loyal as they come. He's an athletic freak and a matching ground game could very well have vaulted him to the belt. As is, though, I disagree with the OP.

Wonderboy proved that night that he is impossible to finish.

In addition to his fantastic defensive ability, he also has a granite chin, elite submission defense, and the heart of a lion.

tenor.gif

In my opinion, Wonderboy beat Tyron twice but judges stole it from him.

Also beat Till 49-46 imo but that was a home cooking decision.

No Welterweight has ever made easy work of Rory like Stephen did, and we all know that Rory beat Tyron's ass like a red-headed stepchild and would beat Usman too.

Wonderboy will KO Usman, mark my words.

Stephen is also the only fighter that would give prime GSP (the GOAT) a competitive fight.
Wonderboy would be taken down and smothered or cage grinded for 5 rounds or less because he'd be finished....and I'm a big fan of his. Usman would destroy Wonderboy.

I think he is capable of beating anyone at ww but I dont think you can claim he is the best. It would help him so much if he was a little more aggressive. Just 5 or 6 more strikes per round and he wins some of those close decisions. He should also threaten with the head kick more in my opinion.

In my opinion, Wonderboy beat Tyron twice but judges stole it from him.

Also beat Till 49-46 imo but that was a home cooking decision.

No Welterweight has ever made easy work of Rory like Stephen did, and we all know that Rory beat Tyron's ass like a red-headed stepchild and would beat Usman too.

Wonderboy will KO Usman, mark my words.

Stephen is also the only fighter that would give prime GSP (the GOAT) a competitive fight.
Till beat Wonderboy pretty handily and idk about either of them beating Usman.

I used to train with Stephen and I've known him for a long time. We still bump into each other from time to time. What you see in media is the real deal. He's cool as hell and one of the nicest, most humble guys you will ever meet. His counter striking is off the charts and he kicks like a fucking mule. Deep, penetrating shit that you feel for days. He's certainly one of the best strikers ever in the UFC.

That being said, he passed on a lot of opportunities when he was younger. His sister's husband is one of the best BJJ instructors in the country, if not the world. He had an open invitation to go to Dallas anytime to train. Years ago he spent time as GSP's striking coach (and dance teacher, lol) and had an open invitation to train at TriStar. Then Greg Jackson hired him to work fight camps (one as a Machida clone, I don't remember the others) and invited him to stay at J/W. I wish he would have broken from the family business long enough to take advantage of the opportunities, but he is as loyal as they come. He's an athletic freak and a matching ground game could very well have vaulted him to the belt. As is, though, I disagree with the OP.

He still came a pretty long way, considering how far into his development he tried MMA. Shutting down Rory is a pretty huge feather. Wonderboy is probably the 2nd most accomplished pure Karateka of all time in MMA, after Machida.

I hear you though, if he started with Machado a lot earlier, who knows what the ceiling would have been!

The Marty/Ben/Tyron/Colby quartet is a brutal one, plus he recently loss to another striker.

I like him, but no. He is still a mid-top 10 guy though...that's really good.

Wonderboy out points GSP
He beats Usman
Lol at current Wonderboy koing anyone

whhaaaat, GSP takes Wonderboy down all day! healthy Usman as well, 80% Usman at least lol

i'd like to see Wonderboy in some of those Karate Combat matches, basically kickboxing but with the little gloves

Usman wold smash him and I think he lost to Tyron both times and Till, in three close and shitty fights.

He taught us that stand up fights can be boring too.

Changing the game!

whhaaaat, GSP takes Wonderboy down all day! healthy Usman as well, 80% Usman at least lol

i'd like to see Wonderboy in some of those Karate Combat matches, basically kickboxing but with the little gloves
Nah
His reach and height will give him issues
He’s a very good Point fighter
Rory and Woodley both couldn’t land mant takedowns and there both bigger then George with arguably better striking

I agree with WB being GOAT WW. But Usman and Colby are just stylistically too bad... or Askren.

Beats everyone else tho, including Woodley and Till rematches.

He's got no killer instinct as someone said above. He shakes hands with opponents every 5 minutes and thinks oblique kicks should be illegal

I'd say he's the best WW to never hold the belt.
As far as skill wise I agree. From a record standpoint I'd have to say Fitch and that's coming from a guy who finds him incredibly boring.

This is a joke that's far from funny.o_O

An argument can be made. It’s just not a very good case.

Back