Media Wonderboy: How to throw a roundhouse kick

Can you show me someone who can kick faster than his sideways stance sidekick? I genuinely think you would have to be kinda crazy to think a sport for speed, would be slower than a sport for damage :D.

For example, here is Samart Payakaroon which I am sure a MT guy like you knows.

There is no planet he can kick faster than Wonderboy in his prime, not even with a sideways teep kick. It's just body mechanics. Having to just essentially turn your hip to extend your leg out versus stepping is always going to be slower mechanically I think. Not to mention you can do it walking, spinning, jumping, jab with it, and etc. I personally practice MT because it's more effective on average than Taekwondo/Karate but I grew up doing those martial arts. I think you can have a lot of real easy criticism about those styles, especially the style of stance and kicking (liable to leg kicks).

But I also think they are pretty damn good at kicking fast.

Samart is a faster and 100x the power. Also this show me wonderboy kicking that fast and with any power behind it

Nah Kangaroos have Gastelum level chins.

tenor.gif

BJ?! BJ!!!!

Next video: How to not get KO'd by a superman punch.
Stephen Thompson is one hell of an athlete. He knows the basics of his craft well & can demo them with excellence. As we see in the OP.

Unfortunately, that is mostly just a physical demonstration of athletic skill. No question.

Fighting in a fluidly ever changing environment presents a much greater challenge. The opponent is moving, trying to do something, all the time. Moreover, what the opponent does can hurt you in the full contact venue.

This is Stephen's donnybrook. Sorry Wonderboy fans.

Thats a pretty weak kick. Landing with the foot down also asking to get countered. Thats just training bad habits. Hopefully young up and coming fighters dont watch that sh*t. He a good guy though
No, Stephen's form is excellent.

You are viewing what he is doing with presumptions. Karate form works differently than boxing form, kick-boxing, on many levels. There is actually great strength in that form, done correctly, including from the starting base.

Samart is a faster and 100x the power. Also this show me wonderboy kicking that fast and with any power behind it

Muay Thai is famous for beating the opponent to death with both this kind of muscular technique & full on aggression.

Karate, Stephen's form, is designed to handle that aggression. Sorry, Muay Thai loses to Stephen on principle.<Goldie11>In practice there's the rub, Mr. Thompson.

You are viewing what he is doing with presumptions. Karate form works differently than boxing form, kick-boxing, on many levels. There is actually great strength in that form, done correctly, including from the starting base.
Yes his form is good for point fighting immsure
Muay Thai is famous for beating the opponent to death with both this kind of muscular technique & full on aggression.

Karate, Stephen's form, is designed to handle that aggression. Sorry, Muay Thai loses to Stephen on principle.<Goldie11>In practice there's the rub, Mr. Thompson.
lmao stephens form has zero effect vs a legit mt striker. Your name checks out tho

Speed isn't just how fast you kick though. It's also how fast you can move and close distance. I think Wonderboy is faster because not only can he kick fast, he can kick from really far away.

Speed = Distance/Time

6:25

For example, he's doing a kick that shoots him into range. That's more "speed" when compared to the other strike that requires your opponent to constantly be close to you (I mean come on, showing kicking the pads as evidence????? but I guess I can do the same).

10:29 - Look at the speed of the back kick. lul

If you want to compare two different martial arts I think you have to be willing to afford the other martial art some leeway. For example, Karate is about MOVING and striking. Muay Thai is about setting up your attacks and often times just going lick for lick. Which is better? I mean obviously at this point it's muay thai for effectiveness.

They are fought at complete different ranges. Find a MT fighter who can fire as far and fast as ST can...you can't really.

But speed? As someone who has trained both, and still does train I genuinely don't know how I could kick MT style faster than Karate. Because it's more a physics thing imo.

Speed isn't just how fast you kick though. It's also how fast you can move and close distance. I think Wonderboy is faster because not only can he kick fast, he can kick from really far away.

Speed = Distance/Time

6:25

For example, he's doing a kick that shoots him into range. That's more "speed" when compared to the other strike that requires your opponent to constantly be close to you (I mean come on, showing kicking the pads as evidence????? but I guess I can do the same).

10:29 - Look at the speed of the back kick. lul

If you want to compare two different martial arts I think you have to be willing to afford the other martial art some leeway. For example, Karate is about MOVING and striking. Muay Thai is about setting up your attacks and often times just going lick for lick. Which is better? I mean obviously at this point it's muay thai for effectiveness.

They are fought at complete different ranges. Find a MT fighter who can fire as far and fast as ST can...you can't really.

But speed? As someone who has trained both, and still does train I genuinely don't know how I could kick MT style faster than Karate. Because it's more a physics thing imo.

Yo do you

A lot of you guys are acting like there isn't debate in striking or grappling about certain techniques. For example, Benny Urquidez believes the proper way to throw a back kick is with the knee pointing down and you kick like a horse. Joe Rogan however thinks the best back kick is the Taekwondo style where the knee is raised above your waist. Here's Urquidez's version and Joe Rogan's version:

Here's two people debating what's the best way to throw a left hook:

In jiujitsu, people debate over whether you should keep your thumbs in or out when you apply a kimura. Some people think you shouldn't cross your feet when you do an armbar, while others say you should. So those who are saying Wonderboy's kicks are "bad" are being pretentious elitists.

Some redhead with a cool accent already made a better version a long time ago.

The author, who IMHO is absolutely superb in his understanding of TKD form... morphs somewhat into the Muay Thai purposes. Karate does have or allow for the more body into it variation at least as far as what I have observed.

However, the karate form is trying to do something different, a number of things different, accomplish different objectives in a host of ways compared to Muay Thai (which is maximum physical power & aggression based). So Muay Thai form IS NOT the answer for any purported weaknesses suspected in the traditional karate form.

In particular, karate training is aimed at eliminating the mental mistakes & lapses we have so frequently seen from Wonderboy Thompson. Of course sport fighters don't properly appreciate that and so it goes with karate's failure in MMA.

Look at them flashy karate kicks...
To me they look horrible since muay thai kicks and techniques are very different. You back leg cant be your front leg after kicking!

I have to address this point since it has come up several times. Wonderboy shifts stances off his strikes. The footdown is part of that setup. Rather than attacking and retracting, he attacks and is in southpaw position which is his ideal defensive position (front leg push kick, jab, etc).

This isn't a flaw under his style.

A lot of you guys are acting like there isn't debate in striking or grappling about certain techniques. For example, Benny Urquidez believes the proper way to throw a back kick is with the knee pointing down and you kick like a horse. Joe Rogan however thinks the best back kick is the Taekwondo style where the knee is raised above your waist. Here's Urquidez's version and Joe Rogan's version:

Love Rogan's kicking demonstrations.<{UberTS}>

There's more than one way to effect a general technique or apply strength into a technique. Affirmed.

Different reasons tactically. See curriculum.

Can you show me someone who can kick faster than his sideways stance sidekick? I genuinely think you would have to be kinda crazy to think a sport for speed, would be slower than a sport for damage :D.

For example, here is Samart Payakaroon which I am sure a MT guy like you knows.

There is no planet he can kick faster than Wonderboy in his prime, not even with a sideways teep kick. It's just body mechanics. Having to just essentially turn your hip to extend your leg out versus stepping is always going to be slower mechanically I think. Not to mention you can do it walking, spinning, jumping, jab with it, and etc. I personally practice MT because it's more effective on average than Taekwondo/Kara

Seems like some people that train and watch muay thai don't realise that striking in MMA and in Muay Thai are different. They also seem to think there's only 1 correct way to do things.

Seems like some people that train and watch muay thai don't realise that striking in MMA and in Muay Thai are different. They also seem to think there's only 1 correct way to do things.
Well, that kind of tunnel vision isn't restricted to Muay Thai. But they are proly among most guilty.

Muay Thai is based on certain fundamental principles of the style. As we have seen in video sample of great Muay Thai stylists... it can be devastatingly effective, certainly if one underestimates the accomplished MT stylist.

Last edited:
Yes his form is good for point fighting immsure
Too stereotyped. Stephen's form exhibited can be very strong. He can be very strong in effect. Stephen has always had tremendous potential.

Even when compromised from seriously bad weight cut, and unprepared technically for Matt Brown, he had Brown out on his feet during that fight.

lmao stephens form has zero effect vs a legit mt striker. Your name checks out tho
Ah, no. Forum fodder, it's the nature of the product.<{monica}>

This is a convention that was introduced as a kumite competiton form with the modern karates. The sport karateka, kickboxers like Stephen Thompson took it farther. Karate is NOT about moving & striking the way Stephen demos. He's too dependent on movement, large, even exaggerated movement.

Karate proper is about striking, period.

Last edited:

It's also like, what's the point of kicking really fast in a super short distance anyway? It has some uses sure. But in MMA? It's not very effective. You will just get taken down if you throw kicks that close.

This is a convention that was introduced as a kumite competiton form with the modern karates. The sport karateka, kickboxers like Stephen Thompson took it farther. Karate is NOT about moving & striking the way Stephen demos. He's too dependent on movement, large, even exaggerated movement.

Karate proper is about striking, period.

what form of Karate are you talking about that is only striking? Shotokan? I train Goju Ryu, it is not just striking, there is a lot more to our style than just striking.

Back