Wonder boy vs Holland

I'm going to pick Holland in this one. I feel pretty confident about it. I think WB is pretty much done.

I don't know. For all of Holland's talk of not liking to wrestle and wanting to give Wonderboy the striking match he wants, Kev has a track record of shooting on guys when he gets uncomfortable on the feet. For instance, look at the John Philips fight. One of the worst defensive grapplers ever signed in the modern era of the UFC, but he had hammers for hands. He hit Kevin a couple of times clean and immediately Kevin spent the next three rounds wrestle-fucking him before finally sinking in the RNC in the third. The funny part was he was talking to John the entire time, apologizing profusely as he tuned him up on the mat saying stuff like "I'm sorry I lied bro. You just hit too damn hard." It's even more funny because the bout after this one against GM3 (who arguably got robbed) he got on the mic in the post-fight interview to talk about how the UFC needs to stop giving him guys who just want to cuddle on the ground and instead give him a real killer he can strike with instead.

Hell, Charlie Ontiveros is a career Lightweight and an absolute kill-or-be-killed can who was signed for the express purpose of giving Kevin a short-notice fill-in opponent to keep his 2020 Middleweight streak alive. Despite being up two weight classes Ontiveros is exceptionally tall and lanky and comes from a karate background. He came out and tagged Holland with a series of clean, flashy kicks. Holland said "Fuck this" and proceeded to pick Charlie up and slam him, injuring dude's neck.

I think Holland will entertain the striking as long as he can, but if/when Wonderboy starts out-pointing him and making him uncomfortable he'll inevitably shoot. He's done it before and he's put in even more time drilling his wrestling since then under Hendricks. Thompson's defensive grappling is proven liability as of late. Why not go that route if it means avoiding a loss and getting into the rankings?

I'm not saying Kevin can't win a striking match. He does have greater power, reach, and athleticism. The Pettis and Woodley bouts showed that guys with a certain degree of unorthodoxy and off-beat timing in their shots can catch Wonderboy clean, which Kevin could probably replicate to hurt or even finish this version of Stephen if he comes correct especially if he's diligent with low kicks beforehand. That said, for the most part so few guys have had success striking with Thompson for 15-25 minutes in the UFC, even other dedicated strikers and bits of Holland's game has made me wonder if perhaps maybe Thompson's style might give him issues on the feet as well.

This is a very good take. I only wonder if, as something of a company man, he'll make good on his promise to bang after asking for a striker himself? Personally, I see him trying some of his jankier, wilder striking against thompson for the fans, but he probably isn't above clinching a crucial third round with a takedown if he needs to secure the win. I do think his wrestling is improving a bit with Hendricks, too.

I hope Kev wins, the UFC WW devision needs a bit of a clean out of the old guard, especially the 1s that don't won't to fight the real prospects

While Wonderboy has the far superior striking technique, we know that doesn't always matter even in a striking contest.

I have Holland by KO/TKO.

WB is close to done but who knows, maybe he has enough left to get it done. Taking rankings and styles into account, this is as ideal as it gets for Holland.

I think it'll go to Holland. Grind him out against the fence for the 1st and 2nd and swing a ling a ling for the final 5

Can’t wait for this fight. How do you guys see it. The odds are pretty much pick ‘em. Youth vs experience. Holland has beat no names and wonder boy has fought everyone but is now 39 years old. Will his experience get him the W
Wonderboy by decision

Thompson absolutely could win this but its too hard to pick him these days. Holland by decision.

If only Wonderman came out finally. Boy is too damn old.

This has boring sparring match written all over it

I think at this point Holland wins even in striking contest

a lot of glove touches and and embraces throughout the match.

holland by ko.

I'd like Thompson to win, but he's getting to the point in his career where he is still skilled, but can't seem to win the big ones. A loss here to Holland, puts him in the gatekeeper category in my opinion. Hey, you stick around long enough, it will happen to every fighter. Holland by TKO.

Holland wins. I don't like the way Wonderboy has looked lately. He looks like he's done.

I'm going to pick Holland in this one. I feel pretty confident about it. I think WB is pretty much done.

121821-ufc-fight-night-lewis-vs-daukaus-stephen-thompson-feature-hero_GettyImages-870319948.jpg

Such a magical fight - amazing to see wonderboy flowing like that throwing all manner of different techniques. A martial arts masterclass 10/10

Holland? the whole country? Nah. Now France on the other hand.....

PS did you know that according to French law every male over 18 must carry a white flag or handkerchief in his back pocket whilst walking in public?
How original bro, you should do some research though on one of Europe’s most dominant land armies of the past 500 years

Back