Women's snatch event at the Olympics – big power, little muscles

Also if they don't bench how do guys like Klokov get a chest that big? You would think that the chest is one of the least important muscles for Olympic lifts?

I think Klokov benches:

If by got his ass kicked you mean set a WORLD RECORD in the snatch then had a guy make a heroic level, unheard of jump to close a 12kg gap at 77kg and hit the necessary OTHER WORLD RECORD in their weight class, both finishing around 30Kg above the contenders at the OLYMPICS, then yeah, totally got his ass kicked.

ITT: Typical pathetically ignorant wanna be Internet weightlifters who've never even been in the same room as a national level lifter, let alone an Olympian, spewing their ignorant pathetic bullshit.

You're all morons. Eat shit and die.

I usually don't watch weightlifting but I saw that one and it was pretty amazing. That guy just did 12kg more and Xiaojun didn't even appear angry because I think no one expected something like that. I assume he was a bit pissed but it really wasn't something anyone could have planned for.

I have a question. Why does Xiaojun do the power jerk just watching it it appears a lot more demanding strength wise while the split jerk just seems to be for many of those guys almost more of a balance and coordination exercise (I'm exaggarating)

I usually don't watch weightlifting but I saw that one and it was pretty amazing. That guy just did 12kg more and Xiaojun didn't even appear angry because I think no one expected something like that. I assume he was a bit pissed but it really wasn't something anyone could have planned for.

I have a question. Why does Xiaojun do the power jerk just watching it it appears a lot more demanding strength wise while the split jerk just seems to be for many of those guys almost more of a balance and coordination exercise (I'm exaggarating)

Actually, he performs a full squat jerk. He dips under the bar like a reverse snatch drop and overhead squats it.

A push jerk like a partial squat jerk. Dimas and Torokthiy performed this variation of the jerk in the careers.

Last edited:
Finally, Bench Pressing is verboten for most competitive Olympic lifters, as it can lead to decreased shoulder mobility. In Olympic Lifting, flexibility is vital; it's impossible to perform the lifts correctly without a good range of mobility, particularly in one's shoulders and back. I've seen a guy who can Squat well over 400 but who couldn't do an Overhead Squat with a broomstick.

That is not to say that a good Olympic Weightlifter could not cross over successfully to Powerlifting. The basic strength is already there. But it's contradictory to train both sports at the same time.

Funny that you mentioned that. Iirc, Torokthiy mentioned in an interview that his overhead press max was only 100 kgs. And yet, he can push jerk over 255 kgs. :eek:

I should have stopped reading when OP was talking about the snatch and posted a picture of an athlete C&Jing...

If by got his ass kicked you mean set a WORLD RECORD in the snatch then had a guy make a heroic level, unheard of jump to close a 12kg gap at 77kg and hit the necessary OTHER WORLD RECORD in their weight class, both finishing around 30Kg above the contenders at the OLYMPICS, then yeah, totally got his ass kicked.

ITT: Typical pathetically ignorant wanna be Internet weightlifters who've never even been in the same room as a national level lifter, let alone an Olympian, spewing their ignorant pathetic bullshit.

You're all morons. Eat shit and die.

aa44396cedeeabea6e0ff0a6bb74f3df.jpg

I should have stopped reading when OP was talking about the snatch and posted a picture of an athlete C&Jing...

There was some good stuff in this thread- some good posts from Senri and a few fun videos. Plus Dan trying to get banned. That's something for all the family.

There was some good stuff in this thread- some good posts from Senri and a few fun videos. Plus Dan trying to get banned. That's something for all the family.
Maybe you're right. I still think this whole elbow-thing is complete bullshit, however. And it's mind-boggling that pretty much everyone in this thread seems to agree that oly-lifters have "little mass" on them. First of all, they are weight-class athletes and peaking their season, if you saw them off-season you might be a little surprised. Also, you might be surprised of you ever saw one of the smaller lifters in real life. Many of them are relatively short and are packing mass where it matters, which is usually the legs, the glutes and the back.
Oly-lifters usually don't do the competitive lifts only, which is why they get plenty of eccentric loading in their lifting. Try paused, heavy front squats or clean pulls paused right under the knee and then we can talk about weightlifting not doing "much damage" to the muscles.

Indeed, but that's the point. The snatch and the clean and jerk are rare, technical lifts. Why are they given the Olympic spotlight while the lifts everyone does are sidelined?

It's like getting rid of the sprint and having an event to see who can scale a climbing wall the fastest instead.
Yeah, right. Because the sprinters in the Olympics are pretty much doing the same thing as you and me, when we need to run to catch the bus. It's really weightlifting only that seems to be a highly technical sport, we should make the Olympics more relatable to everyone and get rid of it.
brb, gotta shotput my groceries in the cupboards and then synchronically jump down my balcony with some homies of mine.

Anyone have a link of the vid of Xiaojun getting owned? I still haven't gotten to watch much weightlifting at the Olympics...

Maybe you're right. I still think this whole elbow-thing is complete bullshit, however. And it's mind-boggling that pretty much everyone in this thread seems to agree that oly-lifters have "little mass" on them. First of all, they are weight-class athletes and peaking their season, if you saw them off-season you might be a little surprised. Also, you might be surprised of you ever saw one of the smaller lifters in real life. Many of them are relatively short and are packing mass where it matters, which is usually the legs, the glutes and the back.
Oly-lifters usually don't do the competitive lifts only, which is why they get plenty of eccentric loading in their lifting. Try paused, heavy front squats or clean pulls paused right under the knee and then we can talk about weightlifting not doing "much damage" to the muscles.

So why did you wait for me to defend the thread before you posted? You just added to the thread and made it better.

Do you prefer complaining to making things better?

And that question goes to pretty much all the regulars. Sitting in the Pub just bitching when they could do something about it.

Sitting on the sidelines, complaining about the main and refusing to post content that will actually improve it... that makes you partly responsible for how bad it (purportedly) is.

So why did you wait for me to defend the thread before you posted? You just added to the thread and made it better.

Do you prefer complaining to making things better?

And that question goes to pretty much all the regulars. Sitting in the Pub just bitching when they could do something about it.

Sitting on the sidelines, complaining about the main and refusing to post content that will actually improve it... that makes you partly responsible for how bad it (purportedly) is.
I don't disagree with your sentiment here, but this thread was FUBAR before my first post and I'm not sure if any post could save it...f13 can however be saved. Make f13 great again!

Holy shit!

Wait... he has 99 in his name. That's not his birth is it? Don't tell me this kid is only 17 years old.... wtf

Ridiculous.

A 16 year old of the black flesh, clean and jerked 180kg weighing only 69kg. It's okay man, life is like this.

i do agree with the lockout, it's very difficult to get a clean lock for the heavyweights.

They actually don't get very much eccentric action going on in their lifts, but those that do will have hypertrophy and will have more muscle mass, many admittedly do it for aesthetics. However many coaches know it's not necessary, whereas you have other schools of thought like the Chinese, Colombians, or the Spaniards who believe it is. Regardless of who you believe if auxiliary lifts and compound lifts that implement eccentric loading stimulus benefits the athletes then the they will keep it in the program. As a general consensus in the oly weightlifting world, less is better for them.

I think what everyone is saying is that upper body appearance of oly lifters is not impressive as they previously thought, they don't seem to have significant muscle mass in comparison to the weekend bodybuilder warrior, much of that is due to their technique and timing of catching the weight in a lockout which is far superior to them then muscle holding the weight, they are just very efficient athletes. Technique is everything, having awesome mobility coincides with great technique hypertrophy training can impair this, and it's easy to get away with this mistake which is why it's not advised by their coaches, or why they won't do it if they notice themselves starting to peak as they have their form dialed in. You have to remember that oly lifters think like technicians, it's a precision sport where the lifts have a big margin of error, any stiffness will affect their pull offset their impeccable timing to lift the weights necessary. On the other hand if you observe lifters with poor lockouts you will see they tend to be very muscular like Bernardin Matam, or Vladimir Sedov to name a few, a nice little consequence of being able to use strength in a manner to hold the weight illicit a stimulus for growth.

I don't think anyone is denying these lifters having lower body hypertrophy that's a given. Some you won't notice much lower body musculation because they managed to have excelled by only doing 5-6 lifts lift variations to get near the elite or at the elite stage, much like Bulgarian style training they are minimalists in approach.

as for paused lifts, that's to work the concentric portion of the lifts, many don't slowly lower the bar like klokov does, they just casually drop down and pause to eliminate the stretch reflex. This helps them save a lift if they mistime the catch of the bar and get pinned where they need to muscle the weight back up, it's not to make their legs huge.

Last edited:
I think what everyone is saying is that upper body appearance of oly lifters is not impressive as they previously thought,

The only good Oly lifter I have been around (a US nationals competitor) was still obviously very "thick" in the upper body.

To me it doesn't make that much sense to think that they don't have much muscle... I mean, what else do they have? It must just be distributed somewhat differently.

Back