Womens Boxing ....

Code N

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So why is there womens boxing, and boxing (guys)? Why isn't one integrated? (I don't follow womens boxing, or and sport with women.)

Discuss!

I would imagine that some MMA fans would agree that combat sports need to be integrated to truly find the best fighter.

Why don't the WNBA players play alongside the NBA stars?

What are you asking?

Simple answer: the talent pool of Women Boxing (and MMA) fighters is so shallow that, at best, you have a handful of fighters that could actually be in any way remotely competitive with their male counterparts. And, right now, the few top Women Boxing fighters that were around (Ali, Wolfe, Martin, Rijker, etc.) are inactive/retired at this point.

What are you asking?

I'm asking if it would be better to have a sport that's integrated rather than separated by sex.

Who knows maybe history would have been written differently.

Also, you do have a few 'cross gender' events, although pretty much all of them are promoted as freakshows (Bobby Riggs vs. Margaret Court & Billie Jean King being the most noteworthy one but another Tennis example being Jimmy Connors vs. Martina Navratilova although that at least was comparable players in age).

If i fought women only i would have at least a .500 record.

Rijker vs some muay thai fighter(man)

I honestly don't know. Because of boxing's weight classes, the female fighters wouldn't suffer from the size difference that keeps certain sports (like basketball) from being integrated. However, I agree with ThirdPartyView that the talent level in women's boxing is incredibly shallow when in comparison to the men's so ultimately, you'd have few women who could actually compete with the top level male boxers.

all i know is ann wolfe scares the shit out of me.good articles on her and her training methods
Max Boxing - Sub Lead - Ann Wolfe on James Kirkland and Her Growing Army of Fighters: Part One
Max Boxing - Featured Articles - Ann Wolfe on James Kirkland and Her Growing Army of Fighters: Part Two
her training methods
"She has them- all of them- from young to old, fight two people at the same time on a regular basis. Her fighters spar every day, not the usual three times a week of most gyms. They run 14 miles a day in the Texas heat, chasing or running from a truck with heavy bags on both sides that they punch at the same time. They carry boulders and get gang-tackled."

“I try to take them back to…and I am not prejudiced. I live at the house with a white woman. I try to take my kids back to slaves,”

the sweet science covers female boxing regularly.Boxing News, Schedule, Results & Interviews

^^^ Ann is one tough lady. Nice read.

The inter-gender differences are much greater on average than the intra-gender differences.

While I was getting dinner, I remembered one example of a true female athlete who could match up with other prime male athletes during her era: Babe Zaharias. While I don't consider Golf a proper sport per se, she was a multi-dimensional athlete who won Olympic Gold & Silver and was essentially the female Jim Thorpe. She is also the only female golfer to play in the men's PGA tournaments via qualification rather than sponsorship and did pretty respectfully in the tournaments overall.

Still, Zaharias was an anomaly rather than the standard and isn't indicative of how the general trend of Man vs. Woman events would (likely) go given equal skill, prime status, etc.

So why is there womens boxing, and boxing (guys)? Why isn't one integrated? (I don't follow womens boxing, or and sport with women.)

This is a serious question? The same reason that Usain Bolt doesn't compete against Shelley Ann Fraser, the WNBA is seperate to the NBA, and Hanette Staack doesn't have to fight Rafael Mendes. You might not watch women's sport, but I assume you have met some? There are enough physiological differences between the sexes to give men a distinct physical advantage at equal body weight (all other things being equal). And before you mention Cyborg, she's definitely towards the edge of the Bell-Curve.

all i know is ann wolfe scares the shit out of me.good articles on her and her training methods
Max Boxing - Sub Lead - Ann Wolfe on James Kirkland and Her Growing Army of Fighters: Part One
Max Boxing - Featured Articles - Ann Wolfe on James Kirkland and Her Growing Army of Fighters: Part Two
her training methods
"She has them- all of them- from young to old, fight two people at the same time on a regular basis. Her fighters spar every day, not the usual three times a week of most gyms. They run 14 miles a day in the Texas heat, chasing or running from a truck with heavy bags on both sides that they punch at the same time. They carry boulders and get gang-tackled."

Why are we even discussing... I'd say, 1 out of 20 pro (female) can beat a pro (male) at his sport

Back