Women need to man up.

Nonsense

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
We haven't had a good feminist related thread in a while. Sad that when I read this article I immediately thought of sherdog.

From The Globe and Mail: Advice to younger women: Practise manning up - http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...+/+etc.&utm_campaign=Shared+Web+Article+Links

We need to stop monsterizing men. We also need to stop encouraging women to believe they are as helpless as kittens with the vapours.

Women are not weaker vessels. That is the fundamental premise of feminism, as I recall. We have discarded that belief as discriminatory and patriarchal. We

I think men need to man up lol

I think it's pretty spot on.

There was a time period where feminism was about empowering women, and telling them that if they work hard, they can do everything a man can do. The goal was to make it easier for future generations of women to be seen as equals to men.

Now? Feminism is about creating a culture of fear and hatred towards men. Women are told that all men are rapists. They spread nonsense statistics and fabricate bullshit that brainwashes women into thinking they're victims for such heinous crimes as "catcalling" and "dress codes".

There is a legitimate culture of women who feel as though they are abused and victimized by "microaggressions". There is a legitimate culture of women would rather make men out to be the devil than to raise themselves up.

Feminism used to be about empowering women. Now it's about asking the government to chop off the legs of men to make things equal. It's about being offended at such minor bullshit.

Then they turn around and blame "the patriarchy". The Patriarchy, of course, being an umbrella that covers all things that these women are offended about. A way to blame every little personal issue on MEN instead of taking responsibility for themselves.

[Side note: This rant is about feminism in America and most of western culture, where feminism is not needed. I think that feminism is absolutely valid in places that could actually be described as Patriarchal societies.]

There was a time period where feminism was about empowering women, and telling them that if they work hard, they can do everything a man can do. The goal was to make it easier for future generations of women to be seen as equals to men.

Now? Feminism is about creating a culture of fear and hatred towards men. Women are told that all men are rapists. They spread nonsense statistics and fabricate bullshit that brainwashes women into thinking they're victims for such heinous crimes as "catcalling" and "dress codes".

There is a legitimate culture of women who feel as though they are abused and victimized by "microaggressions". There is a legitimate culture of women would rather make men out to be the devil than to raise themselves up.

Feminism used to be about empowering women. Now it's about asking the government to chop off the legs of men to make things equal. It's about being offended at such minor bullshit.

Then they turn around and blame "the patriarchy". The Patriarchy, of course, being an umbrella that covers all things that these women are offended about. A way to blame every little personal issue on MEN instead of taking responsibility for themselves.

[Side note: This rant is about feminism in America and most of western culture, where feminism is not needed. I think that feminism is absolutely valid in places that could actually be described as Patriarchal societies.]

3777084698_a7ef4bf328.jpg

inb4voxom

Sherdog, a place with disproportionately poor gender balance, isn't the best place to have reasonable discussion of women's issues, but Beer nailed a lot of it.

The only place I'd disagree is that I still think Feminism is useful in the U.S. There are a lot of problems that, even if they can't be fixed, need to be discussed. For example, in fields where women make less than men for equal work, the pay gap stems almost entirely from the fact that women are shit at negotiating. However, studies have shown that women who negotiate aggressively are viewed as bitchy and don't get the raise they want. So these women are in a bind.

I don't think this problem has a solution (the expectation that women shouldn't be as aggressive as men has so much biology, history, and statistics behind it that you'd basically have to rebuild our culture from the ground up to get rid of it), but it definitely deserves discussion and Feminism should be the ideology spearheading such discussions.

I think the third wave emphasis on intersectionality was reactive rather than proactive. With regards to the OP, such women definitely need to STFU and man up. Most women are pretty reasonable, though, and enjoy men.

So should I leave the toilet seat up? Or down?

Because leaving it up would be a symbol of oppression. But leaving it down implies that women cannot handle things themselves.

This is why I need feminism.

Conan-Stand-Up-and-Claps.gif

My grandpa once told me(after acting like an asshole)....

"Why don't you be the man YOU want to be, instead of the one you think you should be"

In a lot of ways feminism in its varying forms is spoon fed to young women. It says to them, this is how you should act in a changed society. Your mothers and grandmothers wore invisible chains. You need to change the way you act, live, work. Harden your exterior and interior. Fuck men.

That part, I don't agree with. The indoctrination parts. I think women can be what they want to be. But every day, articles like this come out and tell them they aren't tough enough yet. They need to be as emotionless and affectionless as divorced men.

We are still in an era where most men were raised my pre-feminist women, myself included. I think you'll see that changed down the line. I just hope this idea that women should deny their own biology goes away.

Good article.

Sherdog, a place with disproportionately poor gender balance, isn't the best place to have reasonable discussion of women's issues, but Beer nailed a lot of it.

Not to mention the most vocal defenders have started pandering to the majority sentiment.

OP is a sellout booooooooo (actually I think this is the first thread I've ever seen you start Nonsense).

inb4voxom

The only place I'd disagree is that I still think Feminism is useful in the U.S. There are a lot of problems that, even if they can't be fixed, need to be discussed. For example, in fields where women make less than men for equal work, the pay gap stems almost entirely from the fact that women are shit at negotiating. However, studies have shown that women who negotiate aggressively are viewed as bitchy and don't get the raise they want. So these women are in a bind.

I don't think this problem has a solution (the expectation that women shouldn't be as aggressive as men has so much biology, history, and statistics behind it that you'd basically have to rebuild our culture from the ground up to get rid of it), but it definitely deserves discussion and Feminism should be the ideology spearheading such discussions.

I think the third wave emphasis on intersectionality was reactive rather than proactive. With regards to the OP, such women definitely need to STFU and man up. Most women are pretty reasonable, though, and enjoy men.

The majority of the world's top economists denounce the "Wage Gap" in America.

Something like 212 out of 214 studies disprove the Wage Gap.

There is the Equal Pay Act of 1963 with ensures that women are paid the same as men for the same work. People who bitch about the wage gap? Prove it. Prove that you're getting paid less because you have a vagina, and sue the company. Because it's explicitly illegal.

However, there is an "earnings gap" that is almost entire explained by a small number of factors. Men are more likely to work longer hours. Women and men choose to go into different fields. And women have babies. That's pretty much it.

The "earnings gap" could be all but solved by choosing different career paths.

But it boils down to an old cliche: Feminists want more women as CEO's. But you never hear them fighting for more women to be coal miners.

Not to mention the most vocal defenders have started pandering to the majority sentiment.

OP is a sellout booooooooo (actually I think this is the first thread I've ever seen you start Nonsense).

Haha, I'm no sell out. I think feminism is great when it empowers, not victimizes.

I love the article (written by a strong woman btw). Especially how pathetic the dentistry school Facebook scandal thing has been handled.

Haha, I'm no sell out. I think feminism is great when it empowers, not victimizes.

I love the article (written by a strong woman btw). Especially how pathetic the dentistry school Facebook scandal thing has been handled.

i think i could outbench her. just saying

e6u4ok.gif

its pretty bad. feminism has lost sight of its original goals of equality and equal opportunity for women and now has turned into men hating/rape accusing/condescending misandry

every1 knows misogyny and rape is bad but not everything in the world is geared toward the victimization of women.

as far as i know, most women are given equal treatment and opportunities in society and the workforce

The reason why feminism is such an epic fail is because deep down, at the most basic level, women don't want to be equal, they simply want men to understand that they are equal.

Entire premis is flawed. Women are not weaker vessels? Yes, they are. It doesn't mean women are inferior it just means men and women excell at different things.

This contest is over. Give that man the ten thousand dollars.

Entire premis is flawed. Women are not weaker vessels? Yes, they are. It doesn't mean women are inferior it just means men and women excell at different things.

If you read the entire article, it is clear she is not referring to physical strength or weakness.

The majority of the world's top economists denounce the "Wage Gap" in America.

Something like 212 out of 214 studies disprove the Wage Gap.

There is the Equal Pay Act of 1963 with ensures that women are paid the same as men for the same work. People who bitch about the wage gap? Prove it. Prove that you're getting paid less because you have a vagina, and sue the company. Because it's explicitly illegal.

However, there is an "earnings gap" that is almost entire explained by a small number of factors. Men are more likely to work longer hours. Women and men choose to go into different fields. And women have babies. That's pretty much it.

The "earnings gap" could be all but solved by choosing different career paths.

This is largely true. But even when you studied never married women (women who don't have kids and have never taken off for work) with never married men of the same education level and work habits, there are a few fields where there's a small gap. This is what I was referring to and is explainable by negotiation. Which leads to the problem that women are typically penalized for negotiating.

But it boils down to an old cliche: Feminists want more women as CEO's. But you never hear them fighting for more women to be coal miners.

I don't have a problem with this in theory. Why would anyone want to be a coal miner?

But it does emphasize the point that Feminism isn't about equality; it's about power. Many college students are taught that Feminism is simply the economic and social equality of the sexes, but it's far more than that. It's about historical power dynamics and the belief in reversing those. Which is problematic because power comes with responsibilities that Feminism largely ignores.

I hate the term "strong woman." It's dumb and redundant. This isn't an attack on you, as I'm sure I've used it more than a few times.

http://www.kiva.org/lend/823542

^Globally, this is a pretty typical woman. Several children. A dead husband. Entrepreneurial. Hard-working. Her story doesn't include the robbers she's almost definitely had to fight off to keep her products or the extended relatives she helps support.

It's far more uncommon to find a weak woman than a strong one.

The reason why feminism is such an epic fail is because deep down, at the most basic level, women don't want to be equal, they simply want men to understand that they are equal.

Feminism isn't an epic fail. I can vote, own property, marry whomever I want, run for office, hold a position of authority. Come on. All of that is because of the successes of feminism.

And don't presume to tell me what I do and don't want in relation to equality, thanks very much.

Many college students are taught that Feminism is simply the economic and social equality of the sexes, but it's far more than that. It's about historical power dynamics and the belief in reversing those. Which is problematic because power comes with responsibilities that Feminism largely ignores.

This is a good point that my limited experience can corroborate (ahhh now I'm pandering too).

Of course when you don't think you have any power, the problems that come with it are the least of your worries.

Back