Woman accusing man of 'mansplaining' gets pawnd.

The Muslims will set her straight. Allah Akbar!

She sounds like a bitch. Seriously imagine an arrogant, rude and classless accent, that's how she talks for an Aussie.

Just the type of person to use the word "mansplaining".

The average Aussie male doesn't know what the word means anything more than a clearly hypocritical gendered insult and he was rightly having none of it.

I don't generally dig the Aussie accent, but it works for that blonde chick. She would totally get it.

By "it," I mean my penis.

What I like is that the chick used textbook internet tactics to derail whatever they were talking about. They guy is making a fact based argument that she doesn't like, so she tries to completely invalidate it by saying it's "mansplaining" and then filibusters by womansplaining the word mansplaining and why anything he says is invalid because it offends her.

EDIT: I will also say that I'm assuming what he is talking about is fact-based because she doesn't disagree with what he's saying at all, just how he said it.

Is womansplaining where you explain something but its incomprehensible and sounds like you don't know what it is either?

Caus that's what she did for the word "mansplaining"

According to the lady in the video it seems to mean that. But in this video from a recent thread it gets a whole different explanation. The woman at 1:35 of this video explains the term entirely different. To me it seems like a stupid insult based on gender which has no actual definition.

The girl in the video is closer - to "mansplain" is basically to assume authority based on male gender, consciously or unconsciously. It's used by women to describe their experience of being talked down to by men who are stupider but more boisterous than they are. Think Lindsay Lohan vs. the guy she likes in math class in Mean Girls.

Unfortunately it's come to be used as a bail out card for your everyday feminist on the losing side of an argument, probably because such people are (for some reason) unable to separate the times they've unfairly been treated as if they're wrong from the times they've actually been wrong. I doubt many who use the term would say that distinction even matters at all.

I wouldn't even eat a sandwich she made without inspecting it first.

So... it's just another made-up word for "I'm a girl. You can't be mean to me!".

The girl in the video is closer - to "mansplain" is basically to assume authority based on male gender, consciously or unconsciously. It's used by women to describe their experience of being talked down to by men who are stupider but more boisterous than they are. Think Lindsay Lohan vs. the guy she likes in math class in Mean Girls.
Is that even a real thing? I have seen equally as many people of both genders act that way. I highly doubt that the male gender is the base for that behaviour.

BTW i have heard even more different definitions of the term. There does not seem to be a consensus on what it means.

Is that even a real thing? I have seen equally as many people of both genders act that way. I highly doubt that the male gender is the base for that behaviour.

BTW i have heard even more different definitions of the term. There does not seem to be a consensus on what it means.
It's just a meaningless buzzword, a way to shut down a debate you're losing, make it seem like you won and as an added bonus score Social Justice points.

The other definitions all have that as their core from what I've seen, different people just put it in terms of their particular situations.

I've seen it happen enough times to suspect gender isn't irrelevant when it happens, but I don't think there are any stats that make it a "guy thing" specifically. It's more likely that it's mediated by various attitudes and positions of power that tend to be male-dominated - but it's important to realize that feminists will refer to certain events as sexist even when gender is only an indirect influence.

The other definitions all have that as their core from what I've seen, different people just put it in terms of their particular situations.

I've seen it happen enough times to suspect gender isn't irrelevant when it happens, but I don't think there are any stats that make it a "guy thing" specifically. It's more likely that it's mediated by various attitudes and positions of power that tend to be male-dominated - but it's important to realize that feminists will refer to certain events as sexist even when gender is only an indirect influence.

I was going to say that the specific situation where the spirit of this word is appropriate would be any situation where someone is condescending to an individual who is an outsider. In predominantly male groups men do it to women, and women do it to men in predominantly female groups. Everyone does it to foreigners. The old do it to the young and vice versa.

Can everyone with a pair of functioning testicles agree to eradicate "political correctness" on any issue within the coming two years?

Can everyone with a pair of functioning testicles agree to eradicate "political correctness" on any issue within the coming two years?

So we can all use whatever racial epithets we want at any time?

Everyone can stand around someone in a wheelchair and mock his disability?

I was going to say that the specific situation where the spirit of this word is appropriate would be any situation where someone is condescending to an individual who is an outsider. In predominantly male groups men do it to women, and women do it to men in predominantly female groups. Everyone does it to foreigners. The old do it to the young and vice versa.

I think you're probably onto something there. But it also wouldn't surprise me if the personality traits that lead to that form of condescension appear disproportionately in males - I just don't have numbers at hand to back that up.

One of the few areas where I think it's acceptable to use the term is when women are communicating their own experiences to men and men are rejecting those experiences or denigrating them (that may have been one of the origins of the terms - men explaining the female experience in masculine terms). I've gotten into some heated arguments about when a person can be wrong about his/her own experience (because I think men and women are more ontologically similar than feminists tend to, and hence that their experiences are more knowable to each other) that have admittedly veered into that territory.

I think you're probably onto something there. But it also wouldn't surprise me if the personality traits that lead to that form of condescension appear disproportionately in males - I just don't have numbers at hand to back that up.

One of the few areas where I think it's acceptable to use the term is when women are communicating their own experiences to men and men are rejecting those experiences or denigrating them (that may have been one of the origins of the terms - men explaining the female experience in masculine terms). I've gotten into some heated arguments about when a person can be wrong about his/her own experience (because I think men and women are more ontologically similar than feminists tend to, and hence that their experiences are more knowable to each other) that have admittedly veered into that territory.
Can you please explain what "masculine terms" are? I really have no clue.

"It's a word that's out there. It's a word that's used."

oh, i see. then the n word is used, so that's ok. gay slurs are ok since those words are out there.

i would like for him to have responded "Well you are a whore. And I only say that because that word is out there."

Back