Wolves Are Back in california

Fences don't stop wolves? How do you explain these ranchers having a loss of livestock to wolves problem, deciding to use fences, and experiencing a drastic and sometimes complete solution year after year, stating "the fences seems to be working"?

Do you have more experience firsthand than these ranchers?

I don't have experience with wolves but I do with coyotes. Anything a coyote can do a wolf can.

As someone who lives in areas with wolves, and is a hunter, I am glad wolves are returning. They are a part of the ecosystem, and help restore balance. Most people who have issues are big game hunters and ranchers. Both have hugely powerful lobbying bodies that put out horrific stats and pictures, to protect there businesses.

Environmentalists on the other hand, want no restrictions or hunting, and mainly live in urban areas that are not affected by returning wolf populations. Like all things, there needs to be a compromise. Yes they will lower populations of deer and elk initially(which are over populated areas, and altered ecosystems, but make it easier to hunt). They will also kill pets and livestock. This has more to do with having animals loose, and improper livestock management,(who often use public lands to raise there privately owned livestock). I think the benefits outwiegh the negative, and it helps restore the ecosystem in the long run. Its a very emotional people for some, and people don't always think logically when its emotion(or money) as the motivation.

This fence nonsense is hilarious. So what happens when millions and millions of dollars is put into fencing up every farm in wolf territory. You want to talk about fucking up an ecosystem, put up a bunch of impenetrable fences that prevents animals from roaming.

Plus we have all these wolf free farms and where will the wolves be? In the reserves and such like they are supposed to be. You know another way of keeping them in the reserve, shooting any that leave. The is much less destructive to the environment than fencing up large parts of land.

This fence nonsense is hilarious. So what happens when millions and millions of dollars is put into fencing up every farm in wolf territory. You want to talk about fucking up an ecosystem, put up a bunch of impenetrable fences that prevents animals from roaming.

Plus we have all these wolf free farms and where will the wolves be? In the reserves and such like they are supposed to be. You know another way of keeping them in the reserve, shooting any that leave. The is much less destructive to the environment than fencing up large parts of land.

Hey, it works on domesticated animals in the city so it's gotta work on wild animals In the country too.

Fences don't stop wolves? How do you explain these ranchers having a loss of livestock to wolves problem, deciding to use fences, and experiencing a drastic and sometimes complete solution year after year, stating "the fences seems to be working"?

Do you have more experience firsthand than these ranchers?

What kind of fences are we talking about?

Yea maybe 6 or 8 foot chain link would stop them.

So are you talking about fencing in large farm areas with 6 or 8 foot chain link, that sure isn't going to be cheap by any means.

Here in the O.C, we don't have that many wolves sighting, but damn coyotes are coming into the cities at night to grab people's pets on the daily this year.

Last edited:
And those are tame dogs that don't have to hunt for their food. We're talking about a wild animal.

lol, oh I forgot that wild animals are magical and wolves can fly. Sorry.

27lions-span-articleLarge.jpg

- Fly over this you dumb fuck. Stop being lazy.

Ruger-Mini-14.jpg

Pictured above:
The most precise, practical, and cost effective livestock protection and homestead defense device currently on the market.

P.S. Wolves, coyotes, and foxes can all dig under fences. Your supposed "solution" is born of ignorance.

Ruger-Mini-14.jpg

Pictured above:
The most precise, practical, and cost effective livestock protection and homestead defense device currently on the market.

P.S. Wolves, coyotes, and foxes can all dig under fences. Your supposed "solution" is born of ignorance.

That is what landmines and claymores are for. Damn ignants.

So it's cheaper to install and maintain an electronic fence than one that's supposed to keep cattle in. Good to know.

That is what landmines and claymores are for. Damn ignants.

What's quite amusing is that you were ignorant to the fact that wolves, coyotes, and foxes dig under these fences your touting on a daily basis.

In your opinion, when is it acceptable for a property owner to shoot a wolf? I'm curious if your position is within reason or not.

You really have no concept of how smart a wolf is do you? Animals don't have to go over, they can dig under stuff too.
Once again you post a picture of an animal that doesn't have to hunt for its food and relies on humans for their food.
Even if you did put a fence like that you'd have the Sierra Club suing you because it impedes other wildlife.

I don't have experience with wolves but I do with coyotes. Anything a coyote can do a wolf can.

Fit in a chicken coop? Get its ass kicked by a dog?

On a serious note this is good to read. Its nice to see animals we forced out of the natural habitat return.

So are you talking about fencing in large farm areas with 6 or 8 foot chain link, that sure isn't going to be cheap by any means.

Pretty simple electric wire fencing. This is from the times article I posted before.

"But this is no ordinary fence. All along its length, long slips of magenta plastic flagging wave in the wind, like streamers on a parade float. No one knows exactly why, but wolves typically stay clear of these decorated fences. Dobson put up the "fladry" and electrified the fence about three years ago after losing nine sheep to wolves in one year. So far, the combination of visual repellent and electric shock seems to be working.

"From the time we started doing that in 2007 up to now, we've had zero wolf depredations," Dobson said, "I think the fence has a lot to do with it."

So that's quite simple fencing taking the ratio of losses from 9 in one year to 0 over the course of three years.

I don't think the people talking about wolves being prolific diggers who won't be stopped by fences so why even try or people with the notion we need these huge elaborate and deep fences that will cost millions know what they are talking about because it's pretty easy to find ranchers who agree these simple deterrents work but I don't see much proof of wolves consistently burrowing under fences and stealing away a cow or sheep anywhere. Just assumptions. People have been making these exaggerated assumptions about wolves and using them as cause to kill them for a very long time.

If you want to graze them out in the open hire a range rider. Another form of deterrent shown to work in the article.

It doesn't surprise me that most people would just rather shoot them. It's the laziest and most profitable tactic. Raising livestock in an area is one of the most extreme measures you can take on it's ecosystem and the push back against adopting measures like simple fences to downplay this strain is pretty greedy/lazy.

Fit in a chicken coop? Get its ass kicked by a dog?

On a serious note this is good to read. Its nice to see animals we forced out of the natural habitat return.

They got pushed out of New York, Pennsylvania, and Virginia first. I wish they would have reintroduced them there first.

Some are using high game fences over 10 feet high. It is slowing down the wolves but not the big cats, black bear get over them too.

It is costing some of the people in agriculture more than they earn in several years. Some are piling on debt while others are giving up and selling the land for housing additions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThroughTheDakr
Back