Woe is me, Serena Williams has a meltdown at the US Open

I need some help understanding the game.

Some people have argued that if the ref had never taken a game away then Serena would have won, while others say she was so far behind that she wouldn't have made comeback.

So which is it?

Not before he took the game. The warning was for coaching, not for the outburst and taking the whole game. I think Martina Navratilova had probably the best take on it that I’ve read so far. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/10/opinion/martina-navratilova-serena-williams-us-open.html

The coaching gets a warning, the racket smashing is an automatic point deduction because of the prior warning, then she lost the game for continuing to yell at the ref which is another code violation for unsportsmanlike conduct. This is all by the book.

If we look at historical precedent, John McEnroe had countless point deductions and game penalties in his career for arguing with the ref, smashing his racket, and other unsportsmanlike conduct. Hell he was even disqualified & kicked out of the Australian Open thanks to his antics.

I need some help understanding the game.

Some people have argued that if the ref had never taken a game away then Serena would have won, while others say she was so far behind that she wouldn't have made comeback.

So which is it?

She was losing that fucking match. Osaka was in control if anything Serena was fired up after the incident and showed more life but Osaka weathered that and won. It's ridiculous now whine whine whine and until you are heard and in 2018 if no one listens you can call the sexism or racism card .

The coaching gets a warning, the racket smashing is an automatic point deduction because of the prior warning, then she lost the game for continuing to yell at the ref which is another code violation for unsportsmanlike conduct. This is all by the book.

If we look at historical precedent, John McEnroe had countless point deductions and game penalties in his career for arguing with the ref, smashing his racket, and other unsportsmanlike conduct. Hell he was even disqualified & kicked out of the Australian Open thanks to his antics.
I’m aware it’s by the book and the ref was well within his power to do that. All I’m saying is that according to the professionals that play the game and have weighed in, given the situation, it was highly unusual and heavy handed to give her the game penalty without at least saying, yo, you need to cool it or I’m going to take a game. No one is saying he didn’t have the right.

And I’m not saying he shouldn’t have taken the game...but I’m not a professional tennis player and am only stating what they’re saying.

I’m aware it’s by the book and the ref was well within his power to do that. All I’m saying is that according to the professionals that play the game and have weighed in, given the situation, it was highly unusual and heavy handed to give her the game penalty without at least saying, yo, you need to cool it or I’m going to take a game. No one is saying he didn’t have the right.

Perhaps it was heavy handed, but she also has a history of throwing tantrums so she'll tend to get the McEnroe treatment where they just do things by the book instead of giving her leniency or evaluating on a case by case basis. Is it fair? Not really, and I'd argue that violations should get called by the book for all players. But just because others get away with shit doesn't mean that she deserves to do so as well.

Perhaps it was heavy handed, but she also has a history of throwing tantrums so she'll tend to get the McEnroe treatment where they just do things by the book instead of giving her leniency or evaluating on a case by case basis. Is it fair? Not really, and I'd argue that violations should get called by the book for all players. But just because others get away with shit doesn't mean that she deserves to do so as well.
Yeah I would agree with that. It goes to Martina’s point that Serena (and other players) shouldn’t be gauging their behavior on court with how much they think they should be able to get away with, regardless of whether it’s against the rules.

Holy crap, 20 pages and ain't got no gangsta sheeeeit

Venus-Williams-paired-up-her-fellow-tennis-star-sister-Serena.jpg

Op sits on a throne of lies!

I know you know that's confirmation bias.

Based on how you write you are well-travelled.

So you must have been in contact with other cultures.

I therefore don't buy that you don't recognise some truth in my post.

Based on how you write you are well-travelled.

So you must have been in contact with other cultures.

I therefore don't buy that you don't recognise some truth in my post.
Some truth, yes, but it's hardly a foundation on which to rest blanket statements.

Lots of things have some truth that can't be extrapolated to form an accurate larger picture.

What I have seen in my travels are a subset people who have a certain view about what all Americans are like and what American life is like.

It's a pretty distorted view because these people are bombarded through their media outlets with stories about how crazy Americans are for this or that.

19 pages!?!??
Lol Most of Sherdog hates WMMA.
where did all these female tennis fans come from?
<36>

My momma made me start watching tennis in 1985. Been watching ever since.
So yeah, I saw that other dumbass John McEnroe play live. First time I ever heard the word "cocksucker". He was more shocking, Serena is more whiny.

Same thing happened to Serena in 2009, and she used the same "I've heard men say worse" excuse.

Best part is

"I never said I would kill you are you serious?"

(voice from the crowd)
"Yeah you did."

Back