Wladimir Klitschko and David Haye hold talks

Coster

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/7366493.stm

Wladimir Klitschko says proposed talks with David Haye over a heavyweight world title fight came to nothing.

IBF and WBO belt-holder Klitschko said Londoner Haye, 27, the undisputed cruiserweight world champion, had to learn to "behave himself".

"Our meeting didn't even start, you can't talk to him, it's impossible, he's nuts," Klitschko told BBC Sport.

"He has great potential, but he has to put some weight on and get some fights as a heavyweight. Then we'll see."

Klitschko, 32, added that any match with Haye could not take place this year because he has mandatory defences to honour.

"This year is impossible because I have two (mandatories) in a row," said the Ukrainian, who is in London to promote the launch of the boxing charity, Fight for Peace.

"The WBO is going to be the next fight on 12 July (against America's Tony Thompson) and the IBF will be at the end of the year."

Haye has had one fight in boxing's blue riband division, a first-round stoppage of Poland's Tomasz Bonin last April, but plans to relinquish his cruiserweight belts soon and become a heavyweight full-time.

Klitschko has won 50 of his 53 professional encounters at heavyweight and is generally considered to be the most credible operator in a weak division.

"David Haye is a very loud guy," he said. "I was in New York and I heard him screaming from over here. But I can't have a conversation with this guy.

"His manager (and trainer) Adam Booth is a really nice guy and tried to calm him down, but we couldn't have a conversation, unfortunately it didn't work.

"He has to establish himself and let his fists talk, not just talk. None of the heavyweights made so much noise as him, but talk is cheap, he has to show what he can do.

"Will I see him in the ring or not? If he wants to accomplish his goal he has to go through me."

Haye called Klitschko's recent victory over Russia's Sultan Ibragimov "pitiful" and is convinced he can become Britain's first heavyweight champion since Lennox Lewis retired in 2004.

"I'd fight Wladimir Klitschko in my next fight if I could after his fight against Ibragimov," said Haye.

"That was embarrassing and he wouldn't look forward to fighting someone with my kind of style - powerful, explosive and able to take him out with any shot.

"I'm 100% certain that I'll achieve more things at heavyweight than I have done at cruiserweight.

"I'm not looking at boxing into my 31st year, so I've got two-and-a-half years to get the job done. If the titles get unified, hopefully I'll just have to fight one guy."

If the outspoken David "Hayemaker" Haye keeps that loud self-promotion goin', the fight with Wlad WILL happen. Money talks.

What other Heavyweight fight intrigues the masses right now and would make a big payday for Wlad?
I don't see any fight for Wlad that interesting nor that garners the attention of the masses nor the media...other than David Haye...who would knock out Wlad if he fought him.

How pointless. Wlad has to face Tony Thompson this summer and then Povetkin this fall. He can't face Haye for atleast a year.

I'd like to see David Haye vs. James Toney. The trash talking build up to that fight would be one for the ages.

If the outspoken David "Hayemaker" Haye keeps that loud self-promotion goin', the fight with Wlad WILL happen. Money talks.

What other Heavyweight fight intrigues the masses right now and would make a big payday for Wlad?
I don't see any fight for Wlad that interesting nor that garners the attention of the masses nor the media...other than David Haye...who would knock out Wlad if he fought him.

Wlad could knock Haye out with a fuckin jab. Everybody talks about Wlad's weak chin? Haye's is probably worse, and he's even more one dimensional than Wlad.

As soon as Haye wants to step up, it's already over.

The only possibility for mass interest with any of the current heavyweights would entail Valuev beating the bejesus out of chagaev, knocking him out, and looking entertaining while doing it...and then stating that he is going to eat klitschko alive at the post-fight interview...i dunno though. Nothing other than that.

Wlad could knock Haye out with a fuckin jab. Everybody talks about Wlad's weak chin? Haye's is probably worse, and he's even more one dimensional than Wlad.

Why do you think David Haye wouldn't be able to KO Wlad?
It's not rooted in reality.

wladalltimegreattp7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

EDIT: Not to be a dick with the picture above, but David Haye can knock out ANY man he hits.
Haye's not a shoo-in to beat Wlad, but he'd sure force the action taking it to Wlad.
It's the only compelling Heavyweight title fight I see for Wlad.

Is that a joke? You can't KO everyone you face. What's going to happen when Haye's right hand fails him? He has no plan B it seems, just a one way fighter. Wlad's chin is leagues above Maccarinelli's and stamina is better than Mormeck's. Plus he's twice their size, hits plenty harder, more defensive minded, etc. Those are his best wins - it's a completely different ballgame from here on out.

I have given Peter some hate in the past but even he would seriously fuck up Haye at this point of the game. Haye's plenty overhyped and it's going to be great rooting against him in the future.

The fact that Wlad Klitschko is even talking to a cruiserweight speaks volumes.

Conventional wisdom says vlad should win. But definately a fight i'd like to watch. Although, haye would be better advised to fight other HWs first to make transition smoother.

Just like how Wlad tested Sultan Ibragimov chin?? Question is would Wlad just be too scared of Hayes' power and paw his way to a UD.

Meaning...?

Meaning this:

Why is a 6'7", 240 lbs. heavyweight belt holder even mentioning a 6'3", 198 lbs. man with a wobbly chin?

There are other legitimate, proven heavyweights out there to fight. Namely, a rematch with Sam Peter.

Especially after the last abomination that Wlad Klitschko was involved in, he needs to step up his opposition a little bit more. Some of his opponents have looked bad because they were outclassed. Others have looked bad because, well, they are bad.

Wlad was skin-of-his-teeth lucky to escape Davarryl Williamson.

He followed that up by taking on world-beater Eliseo Castillo.

There's the Chris Byrd rematch that nobody needed to see, but it was a safe fight.

Ray Austin? Who the hell let Ray Austin in a title fight? He got that by beating Owen Beck, Jeremy Bates, and having a draw with the awful Sultan Ibragimov.

Then there's the aforementioned farce with Ibragimov that showed everything wrong with both men and the heavyweight division in general.

Now it's Tony Thompson. Yes, folks, THE Tony Thompson who has such career defining wins as a TKO of Cliff Couser and a unanimous decision against Dominic Guinn.

It's not Wlad's fault the heavyweight division is virtually a barren wasteland of talent these days, but I don't think talking about fighting a cruiserweight that wants to move up is going to help things, either.

I'm not so sure that he's 198. He looked exactly the same to me at 217 when he fought Bonin as he always does. And the fact that he had talks with Klitschko doesn't make it his next fight, Klitschko himself said that he has at least 2 more mandatories before that. By that time Haye may either lose to or defeat 1 or 2 top heavyweights.

Necro, your Wlad hate is clouding your vision. Since when does a fighter get criticized for unifying titles?! He's doing what everyone has demanded for the last several years and now he's fighting the mandatories to keep the belts from being split up, once again. Wlad just can't do anything right, can he? That's hilarious seeing you be so outspoken over a Peter rematch when you don't even give Wlad credit for the first fight.

Haye is a loudmouth with "look at me" syndrome written all over him and sadly that gets you attention. Practically none of the Heavyweights have seen him fight but they know who he is now. If there is money in it I'm sure anyone will oblige him.

And I don't know why fans are blindly attatching themselves to Haye. The guy is selfish. He's already stated that he'll only be in the fight game for another year or two tops. Is that the kind of proposed reign to save the division?

Well, Haye's the ONLY exciting fighter at heavyweight, in fighting style and personality.
At 6'3", I think Haye'll come in at about 224 lbs.

Haye came in at 198 lbs at the weigh-in against Maccarinelli, but Haye had to have been at least 210 lbs by fight night.

davidhayemar82008lb9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
David Haye Highlight:
YouTube - David Haye AKA The Hayemaker

Haye's no Mike Tyson, but he's really the only riveting fighter currently at Heavyweight.

EDIT: Great self-promoter.

I dont see Vlad as anything special and his upright robotic european style is made for a Haymaker!

Back