Wlad/Povetkin Press Conference

Povetkin ain't some developing spring-chicken, he's 30 years old!

He's also been a Boxing Pro for only 5 years (almost half of which he's been inactive). And generally the bigger issue is ring age (unless you're starting in mid 30s or something, but even then guys like Jess Willard found success despite starting later in life).

I may be in the extreme minority but I am much happier with peter/wlad than povetkin/wlad. Peter floored him 3 times, gassed, and wlad was allowed to hold a ridiculous amount in that fight. I'm part ukrainian, and a huge klit bros fan, but I think peter has a much more realistic chance than povetkin. I'd expect wlad/povetkin to go down exactly the same as 90% of wlad's fight, jab jab jab jab jab for the first few rounds, start to work in the left hook, and then unleash the right and depending on how brave povetkin is, he either gets stopped late or it goes to a clear decision for wlad. Peter at least can potentially create some drama like in their first fight.

While I don't think he's really deserving, and don't really think he has much of a shot of beating Wlad...Sam Peters awkward style and clubbing power give him a better chance of beating Wlad than most of the other heavies IMO. I just can't see Povetkin having much of a chance, and I don't think he's got the one shot power to KO Wlad. Adamek is too small, gets hit too much and also doesn't have the nuclear bomb in his gloves needed to ice Wlad. It's gotta be someone with a good chin, good stamina and one punch KO power to beat him. Shannon Briggs punch, with Eddie Chambers ability and Oliver McCalls chin...BTW when does Ike Ibeabuchi get out of the slammer???? Oh Oh...can't believe I just said that!:icon_chee

Nobody stays with Teddy Atlas either.

However, the Klitschkos are also notorious for the ridiculous conditions they put in the contracts regarding the opponent. Some of that $#!t should be outlawed.
Smacks of extortion.

Haha, thats true about Teddy.

Maybe that is the real reason for backing out of the fight.

Here are some of the details on the contract.

1. Povetkin has to visit (maybe more than one) joint or separate press conferences, participate in press trips, interviews, open training sessions and other public events as prescribed by K2 Promotions [Klitschkos' promotional company].

2. If Povetkin does not appear on one of the press events organized by K2, K2 will fine him the amount of at least $250,000 dollars.

3. K2 refuses to pay for relocation expenses, hotel accommodations, meals and transportation to and from the fight location, etc.

4. K2 refuses to provide health insurance for the duration of the fight and commits Povetkin to bear all of the costs of all medical expenses in treating injuries that he may receive in the fight.

5. Povetkin has to use the gloves provided by K2, from the company Grant. Povetkin is not allowed to bring his own gloves even in an unopened package or use gloves by any company other than Grant.

Klitschko vs Povetkin Contract Details are Revealed - Boxing News

See I don't agree here with you here THP. A trainer job is train his fighter to win. Not worry about the opponent. If he belives his fighter isn't ready then no way should he ever show it, and pulling out of the fight tells the fighter you don't belive in him and give him doubt.

This is exactly what I think as well. My issue is that he was pulled publically. Granted the intentions of the trainer are good but either the fighter wasn't listening, his manager wasn't having the appropriate discussions with him, or the trainer wasn't making a good enough case for him to not fight. Pulling out this far in the discussions does give me the impression that one of those scenarios is not right.

Last edited:

samuel peter has a great chin.. maybe he could make a upset (which is unlikely).

Maybe that is the real reason for backing out of the fight.

Here are some of the details on the contract.

1. Povetkin has to visit (maybe more than one) joint or separate press conferences, participate in press trips, interviews, open training sessions and other public events as prescribed by K2 Promotions [Klitschkos' promotional company].

2. If Povetkin does not appear on one of the press events organized by K2, K2 will fine him the amount of at least $250,000 dollars.

3. K2 refuses to pay for relocation expenses, hotel accommodations, meals and transportation to and from the fight location, etc.

4. K2 refuses to provide health insurance for the duration of the fight and commits Povetkin to bear all of the costs of all medical expenses in treating injuries that he may receive in the fight.

5. Povetkin has to use the gloves provided by K2, from the company Grant. Povetkin is not allowed to bring his own gloves even in an unopened package or use gloves by any company other than Grant.

Klitschko vs Povetkin Contract Details are Revealed - Boxing News

That all actually seems pretty standard: you gotta help promote the fight, we aren't your sugar daddy, we aren't your insurer and you're fighting with our glove brand. I'm sure most Top Rank, King, Duva, DiBella, etc. fight contracts have most (if not all) of those conditions as well.

Nothing too crazy about that contract... and his promoter is trying to act like THAT's the reason they pulled out, when Atlas admitted he pulled him out of the fight because he didn't think he was ready?

Let's be honest - Beck is C level fighter, at best. Anytime he faced a B or A level fighter, he's been battered pretty badly; if Thompson couldn't beat up Beck, that would say something. Thompson still hasn't done nearly enough to warrant a rematch given that the first fight was pretty decisive.

i have actually been wanting this rematch. I thought thompson gave him the best fight in recent years and I think the first fight gave him the experience he needed to win a second one. He is a cool customer and has decent power, but he is only getting older. But i think his relaxed style is what it takes to beat wlad.

Peter has signed the contract and already looks in good shape.

samuelpeterarum420.jpg

I like it!

Back