Without the JDS wins would Cain even be in consideration for HW GOAT?

andy18_1

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Taking nothing away from him as a fighter but realistically he has fought elite competition for 6 years, nearly 5 of those years he will have fought 3 people and lost to 2 of them with the next match pending. Outside of Nog and Brock, Rothwell was his biggest win. has anybody besides mcgregor been called GOAT with such little resistance? It kind of seems like he absorbed JDS's accomplishments with the 2 wins but I feel like he hasn't really proved himself against elite competition with varying skill sets like so many others have had to do

That's like saying if Francis Ford Coppola didn't make the Godfather and Apocalypse Now, would he still be held in such high regard as a director

Beating the shit out of JDS - twice - is about as high an accomplishment as it gets in HW MMA.

Hard to be GOAT when you keep fighting the same people for 5 years. 3 opponents in his last 7 fights (counting the Werdum rematch)

I dont even think he's close to HW GOAT....take away JDS wins and he's beaten Lesnar and Bigfoot since 2010

Cain is not a HW GOAT. Period.

If Fedor didn't beat Nogueira, would people really give a shit about him?

That's like saying if Francis Ford Coppola didn't make the Godfather and Apocalypse Now, would he still be held in such high regard as a director

Beating the shit out of JDS - twice - is about as high an accomplishment as it gets in HW MMA.

I don't disagree with you at all and love the analogy, I just mean to be considered one of the best of all time you should be able to prove that your skill set is superior over a variety of different elite fighters. Not a fan but Jon Jones is an example of that, he cleared out a division in almost the same time he has fought JDS and Bigfoot who many wouldn't consider elite.

Win or lose in the rematch with Werdum, Cain will go down as ONE of the best Heavyweights of all time.

UFC has done a disservice to Cain's legacy by having him fight the same guys over and over. I think he unjustifiably hyped as a potential HW GOAT when he really didn't have all that much experience.

He only has 15 fights to his career and 5 of those were the same guys. It wasn't until his 15th fight that he fought someone with Muay Thai and it showed. Cain should be fighting guys like Arlovsk, Stipe, Browne, Barnett, etc. I want to see how he deals with others styles. He's wasted a good majority of his career on rematches and it looks like it's going to continue.

It depends on who he fought instead and if he won. A win over Mir and overeem let's say probably wouldn't make him HW goat

wtthll.gif

Cains wins lol. Jds knocked the dog shit outta Cain and would do it again and be 2-2 vs caine

I don't disagree with you at all and love the analogy, I just mean to be considered one of the best of all time you should be able to prove that your skill set is superior over a variety of different elite fighters. Not a fan but Jon Jones is an example of that, he cleared out a division in almost the same time he has fought JDS and Bigfoot who many wouldn't consider elite.

Yeah, Cain's legacy has been fraught with injury. It's just unfortunate. But he did dominate the shit out of JDS, and crushed Bigfoot in seconds both times. I think Cain belongs in the conversation for GOAT. Personally I'd give it to Fedor though.

He isn't anyway .... But without the Jds wins he hasn't done much at all

It depends on who he fought instead and if he won. A win over Mir and overeem let's say probably wouldn't make him HW goat

Of course not, but if he could beat say those two and Browne and miocic and was able to prove himself against the rest of the division in dominate fashion he would. The wins over Bigfoot Nog and Brock have lost a lot of their prestige over the last few years.

The problem with your comparison is that Apocalypse Now was a mediocre movie.
And Heart of Darkness was an overrated novel.

Yeah, Cain's legacy has been fraught with injury. It's just unfortunate. But he did dominate the shit out of JDS, and crushed Bigfoot in seconds both times. I think Cain belongs in the conversation for GOAT. Personally I'd give it to Fedor though.

I agree he has the potential to be, it really is a tragedy the way he has been handled via match making and the recurring injuries I feel like he could potentially be out of his prime already due to circumstances. If he continues on his current trajectory do you think JDS could surpass him in all time if he keeps fighting and winning but having Cain as his Achilles heel ?

Back