With one fight left on contract, Cris Cyborg says UFC ‘would be losing’ if it let her go

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
Cyborg, who defeated five opponents in the Octagon before losing to Nunes in December, only has one bout left on her contract with the UFC. Speaking with Brazilian outlet PVT on Tuesday, Cyborg said her manager will sit down with the promotion “soon” to discuss her next steps, “if we will re-sign or not,” and negotiate a possible rematch with Nunes.

Asked if Megan Anderson could be next for her since Nunes has been teasing a return to bantamweight to defend her second UFC belt, Cyborg said that Anderson, who recently defeated Cat Zingano, “would be a good fight”, but she’s still unsure “if (the UFC) will invest in the (featherweight) division or not.”

”I don’t know what they will do moving forward,” Cyborg said. “I will keep fighting no matter where I am. My fans love watching my fights. If they decide to remove my division, and remove me from the UFC and let me go, I think the UFC would be losing with that, and the promotion that signs me would be winning. My fans follow me wherever I go. I’m very thankful because my fans are with me no matter if I win or lose.”

”I want to continue working,” she continued. “The UFC is a great platform to continue (building) my division. I think that even Amanda felt good at 145, other fighters have as well, because they don’t hurt (their bodies) that much, but that’s out of my control. My manager will meet them and see what’s the next step, but if they decide to remove the division, I will definitely continue shining somewhere else, like I’ve always done. Let’s see what happens.”

Cyborg has a rematch with Nunes as her No. 1 priority right now, and admits she did not follow the game plan at UFC 232, acting with emotion against the fellow Brazilian, and that upsets her more than the loss itself. Yet, Cyborg reveals that no longer being undefeated for 13 years took a weight off of her shoulders.

The UFC and Cyborg have yet to sit down and discuss the possibilities for the future. If they come to an agreement, and the Brazilian knockout artist continues on the promotion’s roster, Cyborg wants to be part of UFC 237. The pay-per-view card is scheduled for May 11 in Brazil, and includes Rose Namajunas vs. Jessica Andrade for the strawweight title.

The current plan is to host UFC 237 at a 45,000-seat soccer stadium in Curitiba, the same venue where Cyborg made her Octagon debut in 2016, at UFC 198. Nunes or not, Cyborg would love to return to her hometown for another UFC fight.

”It was special for me,” Cyborg said of her first fight at the Athletico Paranaense stadium in 2016, when she beat Leslie Smith in 81 seconds. “It was eight years after my last fight in Curitiba, it was my UFC debut, and everybody waited for that. It was really special. I’m open to fighting in May in Curitiba. It could be a rematch with Amanda, but she said she wants to wait two years, or it could be with another opponent they want. Curitiba is my home. They have many athletes to sell out (the stadium) and put on a great event in Curitiba.”

”I asked for the rematch, but if it doesn’t happen, my life will continue. I will continue training and wait for my next fight. I lost my first fight and asked for a rematch, 13 years have passed and I never had it, and that didn’t stop my legacy. I kept fighting.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Cyborg a legend n a draw.. UFC would be foolish not to resign her.. Amanda rematch in the near future would sell imo

I swear just last year Cyborg was the one claiming she was gonna leave when her contract was up. She was gonna go box, do kickboxing, yada yada, tired of the UFC jerking her around, yada yada.

Yup. It's over. She knows it. Bye Featherweights.

How the mighty have fallen. She threatened to leave the UFC in every interview. Now she's begging to stay.

Cyborg a legend n a draw.. UFC would be foolish not to resign her.. Amanda rematch in the near future would sell imo
Why would they want a woman who is that manly being the face of wmma

Prove to me where she's a draw. She's not. And this her own fault. She's been threatening to leave in March forever. And always bashes the UFC, and done nothing to help the division.

they'd both be losing. they both should try to make it work. but she's on a bit of an island.

Time to head off to WWE and finally get that Ronda fight. Book it, Vince!

4flQz-J1SxyaXn6ESW582BZAnN1107rQYlVdPG_W6TmKZMHbcWfu5AxKzq3LFs3_iHvI75BIa-lZG3VwLxp8UeuKZ0Dmp_tdbH3ZA2tWQ_OaIGeXyYk=w300-h169-nc

They should definitely resign her. There's big money in a rematch if Cyborg can go on another roll at featherweight. Nunes already said she's not staying so they could definitely run it back in the future with more hype.

Why would they want a woman who is that manly being the face of wmma

The face of combat sports is the best fighter. Or at least for a 100 years. Now we have ufc fight fans.

New fight fans have been great for the sport...

I hate to say it, because I do like and respect Cyborg, but the UFC would be better off just releasing her now if they don't have any plans for her in the future. Right now she's damaged goods and they have her destroyer under contract.

The worst thing they can do is let her come back for one fight, destroy someone they want to build up, and have her go off to the competition.

The face of combat sports is the best fighter. Or at least for a 100 years. Now we have ufc fight fans.

New fight fans have been great for the sport...
When you have a girl with a deeper voice than Jon Jones who has been busted for elevated testosterone in her body its not exactly a great sell to the general public

Wasn't she constantly talking about moving on after this contract was up? <45>

I say ditch her and the entire, "division." W145 has been a trainwreck and it's best to just let it go.

Don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you.

I swear just last year Cyborg was the one claiming she was gonna leave when her contract was up. She was gonna go box, do kickboxing, yada yada, tired of the UFC jerking her around, yada yada.

That was before her loss she was expecting a win. It was a bargaining tool to get more money.

Cris needs to go to Bellator were at least there are some fights for her.

Julia Budd, Arlene Blencowe, Talita Nogueira, Olga Rubin, all interesting matchups

because theres nobody in teh UFC for her to fight (Anderson is as much of a gimme fight as you will get anywhere)

At some point Cyborg needs to think about Legacy as opposed to Money, she should have made enough from the UFC to live pretty comfortably, she now needs to go where the other main fighters in the division are.

Lol at the change of attitude now she's lost and no longer champ.

Nunes not interested in a rematch and 145 a dead division.

The only plus for cyborg is the ufc now Bellator would be interested in her.

Back