1. We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. For those experiencing login issues, a temporary solution is to clear your cache and cookies on your web browser. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
  2. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

With Khabib gone...

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by textwarrior, Nov 16, 2020.

1. textwarrior Brown Belt

What do you predict will happen at 155?

2. Leinster Rugby Black Belt

Conor v Dustin for the belt.
    Justin v ferguson for the no 1 spot.

BonesWinckleJones and G10 like this.
  3. Jojomojo Brown Belt

Conor wins vs Poirier
    Tony wins vs Chandler
    -->
    Tony brutalized Conor to finally become undisputed champion

Jose Beehive likes this.
  4. Jose Beehive No.1 Soldier Of God Gif User

I hope Tony ankle picks everyone and Khabib comes back to face him for the likely 30-0.

5. PizzaandBeer Banned Banned

Conor wins the belt and defends it at least 10 times before he retires as GOAT

A-Level Wrestler and RoyalTS like this.
  6. jeskola Brown Belt

Khabib returns when Dana pays off his Mom to tell Khabib she want him to fight now.

7. jitzmonkey Purple Belt

When will Ferguson be cleared to fight?
    Since Khabib has retired, why doesn't Michael Chandler have a fight yet? I'd imagine he'd be in a hurry to get a win in the org so he can legitimately insert his name into the title picture. (I know that Tony's calling him out, but even so.)

8. kingmob6 Brown Belt

Artem Lobov re-enters UFC, goes to 155, beats Connor, beats Khabib and retires as an undisputed GOAT

9. Amsterdamn Black Belt

Hahahhaaa<45><45>

kingmob6 likes this.
  10. Arkham's Notorious Geyser Sherdog's Shane Walsh. Blessed.

Well at least your honest because more than likely the CTE induced beating he took from Gaethje will have fucked him up for the worse that any damage he sustains might just get him TKO'ed.

From the beginning of his career he's been put on skates by the likes of Lando Vannata, and Anthony Pettis, now he just took a lifetime worth of a beating from Justin Gaethje. Things aren't looking good for Tony as the rest of the Top 5 aren't filled with Wrestlers, it's filled with Power Strikers who any one of them can hurt him badly.

Tony already wasn't known for having stellar defense, just a crazy pace, and good recovery but know I think his aura of the Boogeyman has effectively been put on notice given the Styles that permeate through the Top 5. He's not getting the Kevin Lee's and Anthony Pettit's anymore who have mediocre hands, he's looking at Dan Hooker, Poirier, and Conor who all they have to do is land that one good shot, which Tony has shown is not that hard to do.

KH4818 likes this.
  11. realdmone1 Banned Banned

he has the division on lock for at least 5 years--or until someone comes along we truly think can test him--not happening soon

12. Blanqa Blanqua Sherdog God Belt Double Yellow Card

<Kpop01>

FKAri likes this.
  13. Jose Beehive No.1 Soldier Of God Gif User

Who knows, Tony's an enigma, the way he deals with damage is unpredictable.. Dude almost went 5 rounds getting hit in the head 100 times hard, the only one who got knocked over was Justin lol.

I'll never count the guy out of any fight, RDA/Cowboy then/Barboza >>>> Hooker .

We'll see I guess, you could be right but he's the last person i'd right off in any fight. Who knows what his new and adjusted mentality might mean for how he may or may not have changed his game plans and how he performs.

BTW I didn't write what I thought would happen, I wrote what I wanted to happen.

14. Arkham's Notorious Geyser Sherdog's Shane Walsh. Blessed.

I acknowledged you said you hoped haha, it's my first sentence in which I said at least your honest with your regards to hoping. And yeah his strength of schedule would suggest that Hooker isn't the toughest test he's faced, but he doesn't have to be to land something to hurt him. If i'm being honest(I usually am) I favor him to beat Hooker, the first 2 rounds will be interesting, but after that Hooker becomes a wrestler.

I'm more concerned about him going against Poirier and Conor, against Poirier, that fights bound to be fucking NUTS, and Poirier has some of the best mid round recovery I've seen in a while. He goes from being winded to pushing the pace like before and it's pretty amazing.

Conor I think he stands a good chance of beating if he doesn't get TKO'ed in the first 2 rounds because Conor DOES get tired, but I still think those fights are dangerous because those are high level strikers with Power, and that's always been a style he's struggled against since Micheal Johnson. He has wins over Cowboy and Pettis, but I don't think anyone looks at those two as heavy handed strikers with good hands. Both of them have an affinity for Kicks. Hooker, Poirier, and Conor have better hands them both of them combined.

Jose Beehive likes this.
  15. Jose Beehive No.1 Soldier Of God Gif User

Sorry I wasn't intending that to be any kind of push back, just to be clear.. I had thought you're honesty was in relation to expecting my dude to get beat by Khabib, but I suppose I didn't make that very clear.

Tony has an arsenal of weapons many of these guys will have never seen either though, the elbows, the knees, the duck and dive iminari rolls a split second after being rocked, the constant pressure, he's pretty enigmatic we've seen he's beatable but Justin brought everything to perfection, I do think some of the build up to that fight may have swayed how badly it went for Tony as well, I'm not looking for excuses here, but certainly think the Very early Covid no crowd days and double weight cut could have easily been a factor in it to some degree. But Tony is like my favourite fighter so i'm super biased with this perspective i get that.

You could certainly be right though, a good boxer seems to be his weakness from what we know thus far, but all these good boxers have their own weaknesses too.

16. Spotless Mind Orange Belt

I think Penn makes a return with that Chuck look in his eyes and takes the belt

17. Arkham's Notorious Geyser Sherdog's Shane Walsh. Blessed.

I didn't take it that way, I know I come across as blunt, but when I'm doing it, I'm not being combative(All the time haha). You are right though and bring up some good points, Tony does bring certain things to the table not many conventional strikers do with the Elbows and his variety of attacks, he also has a very good reach for 155, so that's another thing to his advantage, the one thing working against him though is that we haven't really seen him use the Imanri Roll all that much, I've only seen him use it on Justin and Edson, and he's VERY content with Striking most of the time not really shooting for Takedowns. Pair that up wit his lack of striking defense, and tendency to get dropped, going against Poirier, and Conor, striking for the first 2 rounds are gonna be fun, but he's also playing a dangerous game when he could be mixing up wrestling instead trying to take them down to his world.

I'm not saying he gets outright destroyed on the Feet, with what we've discussed, he has all the tools to make most striking exchanges dicey and dangerous for those 2 as well, but we also know that both Conor and Dustin are Boxers and as you said that's a style he still seemingly hasn't overcome. Justin while he's improved isn't NEARLY as refined on the Feet as Conor, and in a straight up striking match with little to no grappling, I don't really favor ANYONE beating him in the first 2 rounds. He's got a chin and is one of the best counter strikers in the game, after the 2nd though, and Tony's still in it, I could very well see him pull forward, put the pace on him and get the job done, but in the first 2 rounds he's still playing a dangerous game, and has barely edged out in the past against lesser strikers.

Also there's nothing wrong with being biased haha, I'm not perfect in that regard either, I thought Woodley at one point would stomp Usman lol shows you how much I fucking know. And yes those fighters have weaknesses, but Tony never really indulging in the grappling unless someone shoots on him makes the Dustin and Conor match up very dangerous for him in my opinion in the first 2 rounds. Going blow for blow against them isn't what I would consider a winning strategy for him even with his variety of strikes, his defence is going to be the thing that hurts him.

Jose Beehive likes this.
  18. Jose Beehive No.1 Soldier Of God Gif User

Yeah I agree with this..
    I think Dustin is more difficult cos he deals with pressure well.. Conor doesn't particularly imo or cardio or most importantly submissions, Tony though like you say he never shoots, isn't really a point fighter either though heavily Muay Thai shit going on, despite having very little KO striking ability either. Tony's forward moving like but not like Nate Diaz, always in your face with weird elbow counters and Wing chun hand combat stuff the odd breakdance/body pop lol, Conor would hate that, I do think he'd edge the speed and would of course have a strong chance in the early rounds, Dustin I think would end up resorting to a brawl and then it'd just be a war but I think both can get standing D'arced at any moment, just like Tony could get a rapid left had to the chin at any moment. Exciting fights all round though, we'll all be winners for these potential spectacles.
    <{JustBleed}>

19. Arkham's Notorious Geyser Sherdog's Shane Walsh. Blessed.

I agree that Dustin deals with pressure better, but I'd argue that's because he welcomes phone booth brawls more than Conor, when Nate did that to him, he didn't look like the brilliant counter striker he is haha. Dustin like Tony has heart, so he has no problem getting "in the shit" so to speak, and it plays into their strengths of being blood and guts Warriros, where Conor is more like the surgeon, he prefers to be precise and play the range game. Conors inside game in the past has been pretty soft, and while part of that could be attributed to his lack of heart(In the later rounds) I do think he's tightened up some of those rough edges, ESPECIALLY after the Floyd fight.

You're right that Conor in the past has struggled against fighters that bring that Mexican Style of fighting of getting in his face and crowding him, so if he doesn't catch Tony on the way in, and Tony can zombie his way inside dirty boxing range, than yeah Conor's going to be in a world of shit. With that said, he still has to get through, and Conor's distance management and control is second to none at 155, so he can very difficult to pin down if he wants himself to be, he has good movement to be elusive. Dustin in that regard will happily welcome the fire, get backed into the fence, and trade punches like a MADMAD.

I think over the course of the fight Dustin will be more game because of we just discussed as well, Dustin's in it for all 25 minutes, and whether he's gassed or GASSED lol, he bites down on the mouthpiece, where Conor's fatigue is both apparent and bad.

I don't see any standing D'arces and if I did, I would have to think he would get it over Conor than he would Dustin, Dustin's a bit more BJJ savvy and happy too with how much he likes his jumping Guillotines lol. Conor doesn't really do good against Submission threats when he's tired, so yeah I see him getting D'arced more than anything haha.

I didn't bring up the weight cut before either, my bad, that's another thing, Tony could still be what we remember of him, but time will tell.

Jose Beehive likes this.
  20. Jose Beehive No.1 Soldier Of God Gif User

Great post agree with it all, not much I can respond to, The thing with Dustin is he's been D'arced before though <BC1>
    By KZ not the dude with 3 D'Arce chokes, you're right though he's been pretty on it in recent years bar Khabib.
    [​IMG]