With A Win Over Oliveira Is Max Holloway In Line For A Title Shot?

Arkridge

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Max Holloway is currently riding a 6 fight win streak and looks to keep the momentum in his main event fight with Charles Oliveira next week. He's currently ranked 5th in the division and looking at the landscape at 145 I don't see many you could justify giving a title shot to more than this guy.

If he wins and doesn't get a title shot, maybe make Edgar vs. Holloway on one of the 3 big december cards, maybe UFC 194 headlined by Aldo vs. McGregor and call it a #1 contender fight. Personally, I wouldn't mind him getting a shot with a win next weekend, he's a fresh contender who just looks to be getting better and better.

What do you guys think?

It has to be Edgar next, I'm all for those two scrapping it out for a number 1 contender shot though.

Its going to be tough since he already has a decisive loss to the champ.

It has to be Edgar next, I'm all for those two scrapping it out for a number 1 contender shot though.

Edgar vs. Holloway on UFC 194 or the big FOX card would be really good.

Aldo and McGoober might even fight twice, that's a long ass wait even for Edgar, Max will probably have one more fight IF NOT 2 or more before he gets considered

giphy.gif

I'm a fan of Max, but he isn't ready even with a win over Oliveira.

I'd give it to him for that streak but timing-wise Holloway will probably have to fight again, possibly Edgar

It's just not the right time IMO. Edgar is already waiting on the back burners. I would think he has 1 more.

Oliveira actually had some good moments against Edgar. If he beat Holloway I wouldn't mind a rematch at all.

I agree. That was a great fight. Which I definitely didn't expect from Charles against someone like Frankie :)

giphy.gif

Experiencing quality competition can, and in Max's case, blatantly did improve Max as a fighter both in skill and fight IQ.

He has always had good striking but lately he has been technical as he's ever been and always mixing it up.

He is young and has experienced tough, repspectable competition like McGregor, Swanson, Porier, Bermudez to really grow as a fighter over the years.

To think he isn't ready for a rematch with McGregor after his improvements and his win streak is a bit harsh.

one more win after Olivera and he's right at the doorstep of a title shot for sure

Experiencing quality competition can, and in Max's case, blatantly did improve Max as a fighter both in skill and fight IQ.

He has always had good striking but lately he has been technical as he's ever been and always mixing it up.

He is young and has experienced tough, repspectable competition like McGregor, Swanson, Porier, Bermudez to really grow as a fighter over the years.

To think he isn't ready for a rematch with McGregor after his improvements and his win streak is a bit harsh.

Well said. Out of any prospect in MMA right now, it seems Holloway is making the most improvements from a fight to fight basis. The rapid growth is very impressive.

Yes, after Edgar

no need to match them up either, that just kills off a contender and leaves us with nothing

giphy.gif

He was only 21 in that fight and came in as a late injury replacement and yet still is the only fighter in the UFC to take McGregor to a decision. Since then he's looked better every single fight while McGregor has only looked worse.

He wins that rematch, no problem.

Last edited:
Back