Multiplatform Official Next-gen WITCHER 3 Discussion

Witcher 3 even with Shadow Of Mordor /War combat would have been super epic
Then im obviously doing something wrong.

Ive gone to the boards to get contracts. Open up my secondary quests and see either way too hard missions or fucking card missions. I dont know about anyone else, but i hate when big games add a card game shit.

Ill have to take another peak cuz this looking for ciri shit is in the main quest. Like in other games, i do a lot of side quests before main missions, all in the fear that ill miss out.

Doing that now with rdr 2 on my 2nd playthrough. I hunted all the animals i could and you tubed some shit, just so i can get the trinkets. I then got arthur a turkoman, which isnt hard, but if you dont do it in one mission, arthur never gets one. That said, its already been a shit load of hours and now that ive gotten a lot of the legendary animals, fish, a lot of the challenges, killed the serial killer, saw the ufo, and other random town shit, im getting sadly bored. Im at the point where arthur and charles just rescued rains falls son.
Do you have the 5% extra bonus from monsters and humans trophy? Also just travel around avoid the question marks, just go tot he notice boards and take the low level missions from people. The monsters aren't that hard. Also there are some legit gear in the water in novigrad, hidden sunken treasure.

Ive gone to the boards to get contracts. Open up my secondary quests and see either way too hard missions or fucking card missions. I dont know about anyone else, but i hate when big games add a card game shit.

Ill have to take another peak cuz this looking for ciri shit is in the main quest. Like in other games, i do a lot of side quests before main missions, all in the fear that ill miss out.

Doing that now with rdr 2 on my 2nd playthrough. I hunted all the animals i could and you tubed some shit, just so i can get the trinkets. I then got arthur a turkoman, which isnt hard, but if you dont do it in one mission, arthur never gets one. That said, its already been a shit load of hours and now that ive gotten a lot of the legendary animals, fish, a lot of the challenges, killed the serial killer, saw the ufo, and other random town shit, im getting sadly bored. Im at the point where arthur and charles just rescued rains falls son.

You can ignore gwent, though it's addictive. Have you searched for the witch in Velen? Thats a good place to start. The normal order is Velen, Novigrad, then Skellige.

I never once played the card game in Witcher 3 and I put about 130 hours into it...

High scored gameplay? Gameplay was never high scored. Its the only weak point of the game. The story, map, graphics, score, etc is what is highly scored.

High scored gameplay? Gameplay was never high scored. Its the only weak point of the game. The story, map, graphics, score, etc is what is highly scored.
The gameplay was a monumental leap forward from the previous two, and I certainly enjoyed it. It's simple, but very fluid and satisfying.

I don't really get what's so great about any other third person melee combat system. Some are built on combos like DMC/Gaiden/Mordor. Some are built on precarious timing to endlessly avoid one-shots while killing by a thousand cuts like the Souls games. Some focus more on the management and expenditure of 'energy' points, like in Tsushima or AC. Others focus more on pattern recognition. But that stuff all exists in Witcher 3 combat.

They all seem to boil down to the same core elements:
  • Timing
  • Pattern Recognition
  • Accrued or Regenerating Energy/Rage/Stamina/Mana Management
  • Dodging
  • Parry/Shield/Counterattack mechanics
  • Combos (Chaining Damage)
  • Special Attacks
  • Range Management
  • Angles
  • Figuring Out Weakness Exploits

These are single player games, they're not serious competitive multiplayer fighting games. Ultimately, it can all get pretty silly. You reach a point in The Witcher where you can build a literally unkillable Geralt: where you can put down your controller against a dozen enemies, go eat lunch, come back, and the enemies are dead.

Hmm idk man. I just picked up every quest I saw and did the ones that matched my level. I would recommend using the quest log to decide where to go and hit the points of interest on the way.

The gameplay was a monumental leap forward from the previous two, and I certainly enjoyed it. It's simple, but very fluid and satisfying.

I don't really get what's so great about any other third person melee combat system. Some are built on combos like DMC/Gaiden/Mordor. Some are built on precarious timing to endlessly avoid one-shots while killing by a thousand cuts like the Souls games. Some focus more on the management and expenditure of 'energy' points, like in Tsushima or AC. Others focus more on pattern recognition. But that stuff all exists in Witcher 3 combat.

They all seem to boil down to the same core elements:
  • Timing
  • Pattern Recognition
  • Accrued or Finite Energy/Rage/Stamina Mana Management
  • Dodging
  • Parry/Shield/Counterattack mechanics
  • Combos (Chaining Damage)
  • Special Attacks
  • Range Management
  • Angles
  • Figuring Out Weakness Exploits

These are single player games, they're not serious competitive multiplayer fighting games. Ultimately, it can all get pretty silly. You reach a point in The Witcher where you can build a literally unkillable Geralt: where you can put down your controller against a dozen enemies, go eat lunch, come back, and the enemies are dead.
Decoctions are so OP. I had a blast running through Blood and Wine with a Euphoria build.

You reach a point in The Witcher where you can build a literally unkillable Geralt: where you can put down your controller against a dozen enemies, go eat lunch, come back, and the enemies are dead.
You can do that on death march? I must see this game breaking build.

You can do that on death march? I must see this game breaking build.
Unkillable Geralt
Yep. It was a dumb build because damage output was so low it would take forever to kill anything, but I was just curious to see what was possible for shits and giggles. You can actually build this with as few as 71 talent points because the "Resolve" skill is doing nothing but accelerating how quickly you can build adrenaline before dropping the controller. This means in theory you could achieve this build down around Level 39, though that doesn't seem practically realistic, and I'm not sure what armors would be best down there against the various enemy types.

I didn't even use the best damage mitigation in theory. I recall I came up with it because I was so frustrated trying to make a Toxic Blood Ursine build work that would combine all the damage-return abilities in the game with enough tankability that you could generate a real Shock-Tank asshole where mobs would basically kill themselves. Turns out the damage-return abilities just don't do much damage with the exception of the Quen shield absorb/break (Tier 1 & 4 abilities), and only if you stack so much Sign intensity it makes the theme of the build pointless because you're just building an inferior Euphoria/CoM mage, who should be wearing Griffin Armor w/Griffin School Techniques while avoiding damage, or an inferior Euphoria Tank, who can actually dish out respectable damage with his own sword. I decided to go the other way, "Well, if this guy can't kill anybody before I grow a Rip Van Winkle beard, can I make him unkillable? That would be funny."

Armor
Touissant Knight's Armor (Crafted) and/or Toussaint Knight's Tourney Armor (Crafted)
What you take depends on your level, and which armor you adorn depends on the enemy you're fighting (because of resistances). You can carry the best armors on you. The only drawback is penalty to the damage resistance bonus from the Arachas decoction. I tried it out against the Hanse castle after completing the game, that was my go-to testing ground, and humans are obviously some of the highest damage dealers among mobs in the game. The Grandmaster Ursine armor was Lvl 40, and I was in the mid 50's, so the crafted Touissant's Knight's Armors (Tourney or Normal) were more powerful, and also carried superior resistances for humans (Slashing/Piercing/Bludgeoning + Bleeding or Projectiles, not Elemental/Monster/Poison/Burning).

Mutation Talent
Mutated Skin

Sword Enchantments/Glyphs
Replenishment for Steel & Preservation for Silver.
The former doesn't matter for the Unkillable build. It was how I was trying to get the damage reflection Toxic Blood build to work. Since you're always casting Quen, if you fight back, the next sword blow to land heals you. However, Preservation does matter because it's what maintains your Armor buff in perpetuity.

Sword Oil

Superior Hangman's Venom
This is the only critical thing to do with the Steel Sword because via the Protective Coating skill it reduces damage against humans.

Armor Enchantment
Retribution.
Only this and the Leshen Decoction will kill them if the controller is on the table untouched. Otherwise, Deflection is better for damage mitigation against humans, obviously.

Armor Glyphs
Gauntlets/Trousers/Boots were all Greater Glyph of Mending.

Potions
Superior Tawny Oil
I always took this at 6PM before tests, since that's when the period it wouldn't expire at night initiated, and then let toxicity wear off before imbibing decoctions. AFAIK, that has no effect on damage reduction, but I always did it.

Decoctions
Arachas + Griffin + Troll + (Leshen or Grave Hag or Nightwraith or Ekimmara)
This is why you take Metabolic Control. You can ingest a 4th decoction which also increases your Vitality another +1000, and is more useful than Basilisk while reaping the Vitality boost from Endure Pain without requiring you to pick up the controller to actively ingest potions to maintain toxicity past the safe level. I used Leshen because it kills them faster, not that it matters. Grave Hag is obviously better for mitigating against vitality draining. Nightwraith is the most broken decoction for tank builds in the game. I once built up Geralt to over 50K Vitality before the decoction wore off, and I wasn't even using the "Adaptation" talent.
Ekimmara can heal a miniscule amount off the very small amounts of passive damage you deal, and here was an interesting glitch I encountered. You know how the Ursine set bonus is the possibility that a broken Quen will cast a new Quen for free? When I tested this with Ursine I saw that proc'ing repeatedly even though I wasn't actively playing and casting Quen, so it shouldn't have. Couldn't figure out why it was happening, and I never used the Wraith decoction (not that it would work because nobody and nothing, not even halberdier crits from behind, were taking off more than 1/3rd life from this Geralt in a single blow).

Food
Eat 80 Vitality/s food to activate Gourmet

What to Do
You don't have to fight intelligently even before you've built adrenaline, you just spam quick attacks until you build three Adrenaline points, and I don't think I killed more than a few guys before it was maxed, but the reason you max Adrenaline is because Mutated Skin's damage reduction depends on it. It also offers a second life via the "Undying" skill if the mobs manage to deplete your life. I ran up to the second level inside the castle. Let Dumpling light the fire to bring help. They ultimately beat me into a corner by the tent which just worked against them because not as many could approach me to hit me, and they all took more friendly fire arrows from behind. Ironically, the dogs imposed the greatest threat, but they died faster to their own archers. Ultimately, they all killed themselves.

I own the physical version of the game for ps4, that means I sign in to ps5 with my psn account and get the ps5 version for free?

Depends what you count as "gameplay". It's all gameplay, whether you're exploring the map, discovering secrets, crafting, playing cards, etc. The only thing that's ever harped on ever so slightly, was the somewhat simplistic combat. However, it wasn't even bad. The skill tree was just easy to get funneled into a certain direction, because it made the game a lot easier. However, if you want a challenge, and the combat to be a bit more diverse, the option is there. It was also a vast improvement over the combat in TW2.

The combat is perfectly adequate for an action-RPG. Could've used a bit more finesse in the sword fighting category, but it's really no big deal. I put it akin to something like "Mass Effect". The combat is totally serviceable for the kind of game it is. I suppose it get harped on, because everything else in the game was exceptional.

Depends what you count as "gameplay". It's all gameplay, whether you're exploring the map, discovering secrets, crafting, playing cards, etc. The only thing that's ever harped on ever so slightly, was the somewhat simplistic combat. However, it wasn't even bad. The skill tree was just easy to get funneled into a certain direction, because it made the game a lot easier. However, if you want a challenge, and the combat to be a bit more diverse, the option is there. It was also a vast improvement over the combat in TW2.

The combat is perfectly adequate for an action-RPG. Could've used a bit more finesse in the sword fighting category, but it's really no big deal. I put it akin to something like "Mass Effect". The combat is totally serviceable for the kind of game it is. I suppose it get harped on, because everything else in the game was exceptional.
I only count the combat as gameplay tbh. And coming from Souls games to this, it was underwhelming but serviceable. I just cited the combat as the number 1 thing people complained about with this game. I think they were expecting a Soulslike.

I only count the combat as gameplay tbh. And coming from Souls games to this, it was underwhelming but serviceable. I just cited the combat as the number 1 thing people complained about with this game. I think they were expecting a Soulslike.

I think there's a bit of a "Why isn't the combat like Dark Souls?" sentiment that has arisen ever since the Souls series caught on, with action RPG's. Combat, that while good, sometimes just feels like a more methodical, and not necessarily deeper system. Beyond the skill points you invest, the actual combat in Dark Souls is fairly simplistic. It's just unforgiving, as it kills you routinely for making three, two, or even one mistake. So it makes you think about your approach a bit more than you would if it was more forgiving. At the end of the day though, for the most part, you're just rolling, blocking, and stabbing. It does offer more variety in builds, but I'd imagine like most games of these kinds, most people are gonna choose the path of least resistance, which is usually the Knight.

Both games just have different goals. Comparing the combat in "The Witcher 3" to "Dark Souls", is like comparing the storytelling in each game. It's apples and oranges. Personally, I don't want a Souls-like punishing combat system, in a game more focused on story that can take 100+ hours to complete. "The Witcher 2" for instance, was way more methodical with it's combat mechanics, and it was a lot less fun because of it.

I think there's a bit of a "Why isn't the combat like Dark Souls?" sentiment that has arisen ever since the Souls series caught on, with action RPG's. Combat, that while good, sometimes just feels like a more methodical, and not necessarily deeper system. Beyond the skill points you invest, the actual combat in Dark Souls is fairly simplistic. It's just unforgiving, as it kills you routinely for making three, two, or even one mistake. So it makes you think about your approach a bit more than you would if it was more forgiving. At the end of the day though, for the most part, you're just rolling, blocking, and stabbing. It does offer more variety in builds, but I'd imagine like most games of these kinds, most people are gonna choose the path of least resistance, which is usually the Knight.

Both games just have different goals. Comparing the combat in "The Witcher 3" to "Dark Souls", is like comparing the storytelling in each game. It's apples and oranges. Personally, I don't want a Souls-like punishing combat system, in a game more focused on story that can take 100+ hours to complete. "The Witcher 2" for instance, was way more methodical with it's combat mechanics, and it was a lot less fun because of it.
Yeah getting walled by a boss in a 200 hour RPG would be unbearably tedious.

Witcher 3 with Dark Souls combat would SUCK IMO. That game would take an eternity to get through the story.

I just wish Gerald used his longsword like a longsword, but most games/movies/shows get that wrong.

The Witcher with Dragons Dogma combat would be cool but most other games wouldn't fit. Dark Souls is too hard and simplistic. Skyrim combat sucked. KoA was too easy.

I own the physical version of the game for ps4, that means I sign in to ps5 with my psn account and get the ps5 version for free?

I'm wondering the same for my PS4 PSN Account.

Back