wise way to breakdown a workout?

davidlordan

White Belt
Reaction score
goals to burn fat tone up, along side cardio
40-60mins 4 mornings a week or evenings using free weights

3 exercises for each muscle (2-3 sets of 12-15 reps)

Day 1 Chest-Triceps (end with abs)
Day 2 Back-Biceps (end with abs)
Day 3 Legs-Shoulders. (end with abs)
Day 4 abs

suggestions?

You might want to up the reps for certain exercises to 20. So 12-20 should be your range. This will add some size, too.

Also, you might want to change "tone up" to "improve muscular endurance."

davidlordan said:
goals to burn fat tone up,

suggestions?

Tabata

What is the extended period of cardio for? Is that bag time or mat time? Or using an elyptical?

sorry improve muscular endurance
cardio will be all sorts ranging from muay thai 1hour 1/2 2 to 3 times a week, running and i play rugby

hoping this will be a more enjoyable substitute for my gym!

any exercise suggestions?
bicep curls got a panning here but i quite like em and the magazine rate em?

EXERCISE SUGGESTIONS?! HAVE YOU EVEN CONSIDERED THE STICKIES?! THAT BIG CAPSLOCKED THREAD AT THE TOP OF THE FORUM LABELED:

READ THIS THREAD BEFORE POSTING OR GET FLAMED! FAQ, Glossary, Sherdog's strongest man.

I think that might be a reasonable place to start. call me crazy. or how about the one beneath it:

Interesting Links and Threads: New Member Resources.

That too seems like it just might be a good place to begin getting information... AND THROW OUT YOUR FUCKING MAGAZINES! BETTER YET, BURN THEM AND SEND THE ASHES TO YOUR LOCAL CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY WITH A NOTE CLAIMING IT'S YOUR LOCAL LIBRARY'S COPY OF DIANETICS.

hmmmmmmmmmm.....................cheers

once againt the the sunny happy cheery outlook of sherdoggers impresses me and provides me with a fountain of assistance

Don't take it personal man. It just doesn't say 'toning forum' when you enter S&P. And it seems a bit hard to keep it that way these days.

To answer your question, your split seems good. Reps are high though. Even for 'toning' I would not go that high.
Id make sure extra ab day would be light work though like max situps or planks for instance, 4 times a week is a lot.

But yeah, read the stickies. And toning is a myth BTW.

davidlordan said:

once againt the the sunny happy cheery outlook of sherdoggers impresses me and provides me with a fountain of assistance

and the dense, thickheaded newbie impresses me with his incompetence.
the "fountain of assistance" is already in the stickies, which you should have read in the first place.

id have to agree with the tabbata.

when not working max strength i belive it is best to avoid wieghts at all cost. Your general conditioning is far better worked through bodyweight exercisses.

DIET DIET DIET!!! burning fat and "toning up" is all about diet, i can do cardio 2x a day for 3-4 hrs/day 6 days a week and if my diet isn't spot fucking on i'll gain bodyfat week after week.

davidlordan said:
goals to burn fat tone up, along side cardio
40-60mins 4 mornings a week or evenings using free weights

3 exercises for each muscle (2-3 sets of 12-15 reps)

Day 1 Chest-Triceps (end with abs)
Day 2 Back-Biceps (end with abs)
Day 3 Legs-Shoulders. (end with abs)
Day 4 abs

suggestions?

Way too much ab emphasis. Bottom line is you are looking to improve your body comp from what you posted above. Abs wll be fine once a week. Do them twice if for some reason you feel the need. Overtraining them with everyday work will produce worse results as they are still a muscle you are trying to build. Working your abs all the time will not make you look 'leaner'

Legs need their own day. Abs don't need their own day.

If you are set on that type of routine I'd at least modify it to:

Day 1: Chest-Tris (make sure you bench here)
Day 2: Back-Bis (make sure you deadlift here)
Day 3: Legs (make sure you squat here)
Day 4: Shoulders-Abs (barbell presses and/or cleans/clean and press here)

Your nutrition is going to be far more important than your workout split for your goals here.

Oh, and everyone is right about reading the stickies. If you haven't tried to find the answer yourself first, people like Urban who have been here for years are going to get pissy (think about it, he's seen this identical thread on Sherdog for the umpteenth time now).

davidlordan said:

Your mistaking strength and power for the mma discusion. Urban and the other mods arent here to make you feel good dude but to enforce that this forum stays away from degenerating into a bodybuilding forum. Perhaps nothing wrong with bodybuilding, but there are plenty of other forums dedicated to that!

If all the topics here would be about bodybuilding and estetics, a newbie would come here and asume that that is the correct way to train for strength and power, or for mma.

By the way unlike the previous poster I dont mind the "ab-day".

You dont need freaking -3- excersices for biceps or triceps if you have worked out properly with the big power movements. 1 is good, 2 is pushing it. More is not better, better is better.
Personaly I would have shoulders with the tits and tris, but thats just me..

What excersices will you use?

ok....... first an apology, i didnt mean to cause offence, i have looked at the stickies they are bang on and have some really useful stuff thanks!
but the way to keep a forum and community going is to get new members i would of thought? and not flame memebers who are just trying to get involved? sorry i have to put my 10pence in!

i think a good point to take away is do what works, so i will have to expirement etc
and i dont want to be a body builder just develop a work out regime that works, sorry if i didnt make that clear, and a regime that will compliment my muay thai
and i will also keep an eye on my diet, i do appriciate the importance of that cheers!

exercise i was thinking.....
chest: bench press, barbell and dumbell i guess
legs: squats (although im new to this so will take it slow)
biceps: dumbbell and barbell curl
back: upright rows
triceps: dips and kickbacks

davidlordan said:
ok....... first an apology, i didnt mean to cause offence, i have looked at the stickies they are bang on and have some really useful stuff thanks!
but the way to keep a forum and community going is to get new members i would of thought? and not flame memebers who are just trying to get involved? sorry i have to put my 10pence in!

i think a good point to take away is do what works, so i will have to expirement etc
and i dont want to be a body builder just develop a work out regime that works, sorry if i didnt make that clear, and a regime that will compliment my muay thai
and i will also keep an eye on my diet, i do appriciate the importance of that cheers!

For your back, you need either pull-ups or pull-downs. After that I would have bent-over barbell rows. Upright rows would be better suited to a shoulder/trap day, but your split is really awkward.

Either do the bodybuilder chest/shoulder/tri's, back/bis, legs split; or stick with the basic push/pull/squat split of the powerlifters. Your split is gonna cause all types of problems in coordinating rest and exercises between workouts.

For your triceps, eliminate kickbacks. Dips is enough.

davidlordan said:

Its probably more important that you post how you intend to break down your workout than what you intend to do for each body part. Curls should be replaced by weighted pull ups IMHO, they'll fry your biceps as well as strengthening your back (very important for MT believe me. I'd replace kickbacks with skullcrushers. And you should really be deadlifting.

BTW this place is happy to welcome new guys, as long as they read the stickies, its not like they are'nt at the top of the page and in caps.

KOU gave a good split.

Traps on shoulder day, right, Kou? That'd work. Space your squat and deadlift days.

yeah have read the stickies taken some useful info cheers guys!!!

However now im really confused!!!
seems a conflict of opinion seems some agree with my break down others dont???!!!
please post what break down you use........in newbie strength training language! instead of traps please put back, if i even have that right!!!!!
deadlift? not sure i have heard too much about this, although i think im going to regret saying that......... so please enlighten me (all i will check out stickies!!! lol)

davidlordan said:
yeah have read the stickies taken some useful info cheers guys!!!

However now im really confused!!!
seems a conflict of opinion seems some agree with my break down others dont???!!!
please post what break down you use........in newbie strength training language! instead of traps please put back, if i even have that right!!!!!
deadlift? not sure i have heard too much about this, although i think im going to regret saying that......... so please enlighten me (all i will check out stickies!!! lol)
i use a pretty simple Pull/press/squat split.

Monday: Deadlift plus assisstance exercises, grip and abs

Wednesday: Bench press plus assisstance exercises, grip and abs

Friday: Squats plus assisstance exercises, grip and abs

The deadlift is when the bar starts on the floor in front of your legs and you grab it with both hands and try to stand up. Simple but one of the best exercises you can do for overall brute strength and one of the three movements in powerlifting. For assisstance lifts see the thread in the stickies

Back