Wisdom Teeth & Mouthguards

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by lakergirl52, Nov 3, 2010.

1. lakergirl52 Yellow Belt

My wisdom teeth are just starting to come in. I've noticed that my ShockDoctor (gel max) isn't fitting as well as it used to. I don't know if I have to have them pull yet, my dr. appt is in a couple weeks.

If I get them pulled, do I have to get a new mouthguard?

Should I get a new mouthguard, even though my teeth aren't in yet?

Should I just not wear one? (I do gi and no gi bjj)

Should I wait until my wisdom teeth come in all the way?

Is a boil and bite good enough to protect wisdom teeth if I don't have them pulled?

I'm thinking about getting a custom if my wisdom teeth don't get pulled and once they come in all the way. I'm also thinking about picking up boxing, but that isn't for a while. (After the new year & semester)

Really lost on this and there aren't really any good resources that I could find with google or the search function. Thanks in advanced!

2. Your teeth might be shifting.
    You could try reforming your mouthpiece or just get another one.

3. Zambonipilot White Belt

the accepted standard for mouthguard fabrication is coverage to half of the second molar. Making a guard that goes beyond that gives no more protection and adds to wearer discomfort

4. SLaKKJaW Blue Belt

I'm not a fan of the gel max, personally. I don't like the "tray" that the gel sits in. The most comfortable that I've used, but far, is a little $1 boil and bite from Walmart.

Your mouthpiece really shouldn't interact with wisdom teeth anyway, but if your mouth is just that small, then I'd get a cheepie boil and bite in the meantime before you decide if you're keeping your wisdom teeth or not.