winter training

JustinTime

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Just wondering, do any of your instructors turn on the heat during the winter? Our gym is always colder inside than outside somehow, which is nice in summer but not so much in winter. And my instructor has never once turned on the heat. Granted, here in north Florida it rarely goes below freezing but still, when it's 45 degrees Fahrenheit, that mat is no fun.

on a Tuesday I train in some warehouse dungeon in the north of england... Ice fucking cold even in the summer.... we have a big ass industrial sized portable heater which you run past during the warm-up...probably the best 1 second of my life

I usually just warm up in a hoodie and socks then when I start drilling I don't notice it

We don't turn the heat on. Nogi especially gets cold as a motherfucker. Sometimes in the winter time I wear gi pants instead of shorts, and I usually wear spats under either when it's super cold outside. Our mat has a huge window to the outside in one corner, and our gym is literally on the beach, so not only is it cold, but it's windy.

It's not that cold for long here, and in the gi it's never that cold once you get moving. But sometimes nogi gets a bit chilly.

We have a heater and it is turned on, But we have two huge roll up doors so the insulation is poor. Only thing cold on myself is my feet and after a while I begin to not notice (or they just go numb). All in all though its not that bad

Heat in the winter, AC in the summer. I don't understand why so many gyms insist on not paying for utilities

Good lord, I train in sunny CA and we turn the heat on in the winter if it gets too cold. Injuries seem to be more common if it's too cold.

I trained in a warehouse in korea during the winter. I have rolled with ice on the mats, it sucks and you have to spend a decent amount of time warming up. It sucks... but it was good times.

Nope. Body heat will warm us up, and opening the door for fresh air is "weakness" lol

They turn off the ceiling fans, if that counts. Half the time we crack the back doors too. The heat generated from the hot bodies (so homo) is more than enough to make it steamy in there.

At my main club, we sweat profusely all year round.

No AC in the summer. Heat on full blast during the winter.

They turn off the ceiling fans, if that counts. Half the time we crack the back doors too. The heat generated from the hot bodies (so homo) is more than enough to make it steamy in there.

is your gym the shower from the movie Penitentiary?

Its been hitting -35 (Celsius, yanks... CELSIUS) here in Ottawa, and we still need to crack the windows halfway through practice. You tropical folks sure are delicate, eh?

Going to say - here in Wisconsin, we wear shorts outside when its 45 degrees. I just make sure I take the spot under the heat register when we train. But the windows frost as its a big wearhouse so they don't heat the whole thing.

our gym is warm in the winter.

what i hate is the dry cold air - fucking cuticles are always cracking - have to constantly moisturize and tape them up during winter. that is my only winter gripe (well besides road and weather conditions making driving to the academy a pain in the ass).

Just wondering, do any of your instructors turn on the heat during the winter? Our gym is always colder inside than outside somehow, which is nice in summer but not so much in winter. And my instructor has never once turned on the heat. Granted, here in north Florida it rarely goes below freezing but still, when it's 45 degrees Fahrenheit, that mat is no fun.

Yup. Heating in the winter and air conditioning in the summer. I'm one lucky son of a bitch.

That being said, my old gym didn't and I actually preferred training in the winter versus the summer. After I warm up and start isolating/rolling, everything becomes ok. Where else in summer, its brutally hot and I hate people's sweat dripping on me everywhere.

Back