Winning the rematch would make AS a greater champion than defending 1st time (?)

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Big Jack, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Big Jack

Big Jack Green Belt

I was reading threads predicting the outcome of the highly anticipated AS & Weidman rematch in December when I started thinking about what makes a champion become a legend, so to speak.

I'm far from an Anderson 'nut hugger' as I noticed they are called around here, in fact I was cringing when he got knocked out because he looked stupid with all the taunting and mind game stuff. I respect Weidman as the new champion and being the man to end the spiders reign is some career achievement.

However, don't you think that if Anderson wins the rematch, and perhaps makes a couple more defenses, this would make him a greater champion than simply retiring undefeated in the UFC? Like the saying goes 'true champions win no matter what' (or something along those lines), he displayed this in the first Chael fight where he managed somehow to pull of that triangle (with an apparently broken rib) and I feel that if he wins the belt back this will be displayed again.

He must have felt very down and defeated after getting knocked out in such fashion, and his post fight rash comments seem to have indicated that. Also in that brazillian interview he said how he felt like he had wasted his teams time and felt awful, not sleeping for days/weeks. Of course, this could just be media talk and what not, but the point stands. Overcoming this adversity might prove tougher than everybody expects for the spider. Everyone is expecting him to come out 100% focused and go for the technical dispatch of weidman, but perhaps we may have underestimated the toll that loss has taken on him psychologically.

If he returns wins the rematch, does this show greater championship than simply defending the belt in the first place?

I hope this came across properly and not as a load of drivel, but what do you guys think?

2. ravifreitas

ravifreitas Black Belt

It would lead people to think first Weidman fight was a fluke (which it wasn't IMO), therefore, making him even great for going through and becoming champion again. So yes, he would be even better because of this.

3. CountEffingham

CountEffingham Orange Belt

The greater champion would be the one who doesn't lose focus and drop his belt due to clowning so no.

4. Arm Barbarian

Arm Barbarian Titanium Belt Platinum Member

Not sure if he will recover that air of invincibility he once had, even if he wins in a dominant fashion. Can he return to GOAT status? Probably. But I don't think at the undisputed levels he once was viewed from.

5. Big Jack

Big Jack Green Belt

True, looked somewhat unprofessional and if I hadn't watched MMA before and just tuned in I would have thought what a joke.

BUT since SOME of us on Sherdog, such as you and I, are educated fight fans, I just ask whether the adversity Anderson has had to overcome since that fight will make his legacy greater if he recaptures the belt in December?

6. CarloSpcyWeiner

CarloSpcyWeiner Desert Eagle, .50 Platinum Member

This. Flawed logic is flawed.

7. CountEffingham

Champion keeps focus, has perfect title defense record > Champion loses belt due to lack of focus and re-claims belt off of lesser opponent.

8. shunyata

shunyata Red Belt

Sort of, but only because the first fight makes Weidman much higher ranked and regarded, and therefore defeating him in the future would do more than defeating him once the first time when he was less highly regarded than he is now.

9. djacobox372

djacobox372 Gold Belt

Overcoming a loss and winning a the rematch is something that he's not done before, so it would help his legacy IMO.

undefeated fighters always present a lot of ??

10. KO By Knee

KO By Knee Purple Belt

If he wins, then wins again..This is far from over.

11. CarloSpcyWeiner

CarloSpcyWeiner Desert Eagle, .50 Platinum Member

Only to the idiots that constantly doubt them.

12. CountEffingham

But if AS wins it makes Weidmans victory look like a fluke that occured cause Silva was clowning so that high regard disappears with the loss.

13. RedRocket44

RedRocket44 Brown Belt

I really don't think Silva winning the rematch makes him a better champion. It will just prove that you can't stand in the cage with your arms at your side, pretending you are Neo and dodging bullets / punches from a scene in the Matrix.

Yes, Silva's done it before, but it's simply a dumb thing to do. No matter how quick / fast your reflexes are, you will get clipped eventually. To be fair, Wideman wiffed on a few of those shots before connecting.

Unless it's a 5 round all out war, any win for Silva will likely cheapen Wideman's win for me, and confirm that it was a fluke, and only a result of Anderson dropping his guard and simply acting dumb.

It really puts Wideman in an unfortunate situation. If Silva comes in and doesn't clown around and leaves with the belt, Wideman's win is basically null and void, and fans will simply say "Wideman only won because Silva was clowing".

14. DarthChen731

DarthChen731 Gold Belt

It definitely would show a maturity and mental fortitude that many fighters might not possess.

15. Dart Feld

Dart Feld Steel Belt

16. sprucelees

sprucelees Silver Belt

I think so. If he won the first fight then ppl would have just said that Chris was not even a top 10, and not even a worthy challenger

17. chinarice

chinarice Gold Belt

His last name is spelled Weidman and it really doesn't matter if you think the 1st fight was a fluke. It shows how stupid you are. Actually, spelling Weidman's name wrong numerous times in one post showed your stupidity. You saying if Anderson wins that automatically means 1st fight = fluke seals the deal on your lack of intelligence.

18. ferrisjso

ferrisjso Goat Lawyer

Not really. In a tight GOAT race with GSP the thing that always gave Silva the edge was that he was unbeaten when GSP had that blemish to Serra before regaining the title. If Silva wins the rematch all he's done is do something GSP has also done for both fighters he's lost to.

If Silva had retired unbeaten regardless of the level of competition he's faced in comparison to GSP and Jones he would have still looked like the GOAT in many's eyes. Now Weidman and Sonnen exposed Silva as a one dimensional standup fighter who hides behind his long reach and Muay Thai with no real TDD or ground game who will drop if someone closes the distance. If you haven't noticed more people think Jones or GSP is the GOAT now then Silva and if somehow Silva manages to win his bout I'm doubting that changes.

19. Pingu

Pingu Purple Belt

Winning the rematch does not nullify what happened in the first fight. It was not exactly Brock vs Mir 1. It would be a great win though! I'd be happy with a loss though, could lead to Silva vs Gegard and that's a fight I really want to see.

20. Pingu

Pingu Purple Belt

idiot