WINNING 'ON POINTS' vs. WINNING **THE FIGHT**

If this was a fight to the death, Reyes could've hit Jones in the back of the head when Jones was running away or when Jones struggled to get Reyes down. @PitDoggMMA

Not to mention that Reyes' supposedly ineffective striking had Jones literally turning his back and running away and panic-wrestle in that fight.

I wonder by the way, who'd you have called the winner in the following fight:
jonesgus_original_crop_exact.jpg

OP: Hey lets judge the fight on just now made up rules rather than the official ones,yknow the ones that the fighters were aware of going into the fight
Don't you get it lmao? You're just no true alpha-male fight fan!!!1! Accept your defeat and move on, Incel!!!!!

(What a ridiculous OP by this guy... f*ck)

I think a lot of the discrepancy between Reyes and Jones underscores a fundamental difference in ideology between fight fans. I also think it underscores a fundamental difference in comprehending the point of a fight to begin with.

Lest we all forget, the end of the day, the entire point of a fight is to determine WHO IS THE BETTER MAN.

The "sporting" aspect of a fight is designed to make it all safe, to make sure no one gets killed (or permanently injured), blah blah blah ... but let us not forget the entire point of a fight is to determine who who is the better man.

Fight stats, Compu-box quotas, etc., only determine (imperfectly) ... how many punches were thrown, how many landed, how many power shots, etc. These statistics do not, in ANY way determine the intangibles of who actually won the fight.

Let us all agree that the idea of any fight is a) to finish; and/or b) to thoroughly dominate.

Many (ignorant, biased, woefully-misinformed) people believe that "landing punches" is the only way to break a fight outcome down.

These people have no comprehension that forward pressure, not letting an opponent rest, economy of movement (compared to an opponent's wasted movement) ... and all manner of other subtleties ... can break a fighter just as surely (and even more surely) then can landing punches.

That said, of the two fighters Saturday night, Jones and Reyes, Jones' constant forward pressure, constantly not letting Reyes rest ... were having a more debilitating effect on Reyes ... than any punch or kick (or series of punches or kicks) that Reyes threw at Jones.

The absolute forward, dominant pressure of Jones was gradually breaking Reyes' spirit and manhood. Reyes, the young buck, was constantly (even desperately) backpedaling, giving ground, and praying for the bell to ring ... while Jon Jones was methodically trying to hammer that ass. Reyes was happy that the 5th and final bell rang; Jones was not.

In a fight to the death, Jon Jones kills Dominic Reyes.

The lack of agreement between "sporting fans" (who count "how many times Reyes 'touched' Jones") ... versus true fight fans (who calculate Alpha-Malehood, DOMINANCE, and IMPENDING MOMENTUM) can't ever come to terms because they value different critera.

I would say that those fight fans who "count points" aren't really fight fans at all. They are pretenders and casuals.

True fight fans want to know who finishes whom, who is TRULY the better man.

While many people may disagree "who outed-pointed whom," in the Jon Jones vs. Dominic Reyes fight; I don't think too many people would argue about "who would win a fight to the death, no time limit."

IMO, Jones is the true champion, because he asserted himself throughout the fight ... he made Dominick Reyes give ground and hide ... and while Dominic may have "out-pointed Jones" ... he was mostly trying to avoid the danger zone ... especially toward the end.

The former paradigm is what champions are made of.

The letter paradigm is what pretenders are made of.
I got your back mthafucka that shit was raw.

I feel like Jones just kinda figured Reyes out, more than Reyes got tired. For all we know, Reyes would have turned around and won the 6th-infinity rounds

Not that Reyes got tired ... that he got broken and constantly avoided standing his ground.

Champions stand their ground. The define their ground. They die for their ground.

Fringe contenders ... "talented prospects" ... and straight pretenders ... will ALL yield the way ... and give ground to the true Champion, who advances forward determined to claim what is his.

This is the story of Saturday night.

One fighter was ready for a 6th round. One was not.

Jones's pressure was more effective in incapacitating Reyes than any of Reyes's striking or movement was on Jones.

Jones won the fight.

Thinking that the guy who "scored more points" should be awarded the victory in such a contest is for losers who should be ignored on a fight forum. Don't waste your time.

It was a close fight that two of the judges got super wrong. Winning on points vs. winning a fight is irrelevant. If Jones or Reyes want to win a fight they can beat up 99.99% of people on the planet. If they want to win an MMA bout they will go for a win under the rules of the sport.

We all agree on 4 rounds. I think most of us can see how the third round could be judged either way. I gave it to Reyes but I understand the logic behind those who give it to Jones even if I don’t agree it was enough.

The only real problem is that two judges gave Jones the second. Which shows the judges were problematic and makes it a shitty decision even if they got the winner right (they didn’t)

I googled UFC LHW champ, it said,

AND STILL
The reason people are still talking about this fight is because it was a terrible decision. So yes, he's still the champ due to incompetence by the judges

I love how the Reyes fans keep repeating 123, like it’s gonna come true in the record books. Lol

One fighter was ready for a 6th round. One was not.

Jones's pressure was more effective in incapacitating Reyes than any of Reyes's striking or movement was on Jones.

Jones won the fight.

Thinking that the guy who "scored more points" should be awarded the victory in such a contest is for losers who should be ignored on a fight forum. Don't waste your time.

This.

Debilitating your foe is what any fight is about.

Debilitation comes not just from punches and kicks, and not just from submissions, but also from pressure and the threat of harm. The fighter who backs up is the fighter who yields to the threat of harm. The fighter who advances is the fighter who brings the harm the other is backpedaling from.

Reyes backpedaled most of the way ... but his strength and punches were convincing in Rounds 1 and 2 ... but after this not so much. It was Jones' continuous forward pressure, his continuous cutting off the ring, and his continuous threat of harm ... which ultimately were debilitating Reyes more than anything Reyes was trying to throw back "to keep Jones off of him."

Reyes was the fading, weaker, exhausted fighter at the end ... while Jones was the fresher, stronger, more dangerous fighter in the end.

Jones proved to be Champion material, while Reyes proved to be front runner material. It's pretty much that simple.

This is why ring generalship and aggression always should count in a fight, especially when these elements clearly debilitate the other fighter, to the point he is essentially useless by the end of the fight, while the aggressor is still bringing it. The bell saved Reyes from being finished. Jones was never close to being finished. Therefore, Jones won the fight.

I think a lot of the discrepancy between Reyes and Jones underscores a fundamental difference in ideology between fight fans. I also think it underscores a fundamental difference in comprehending the point of a fight to begin with.

Lest we all forget, the end of the day, the entire point of a fight is to determine WHO IS THE BETTER MAN.

The "sporting" aspect of a fight is designed to make it all safe, to make sure no one gets killed (or permanently injured), blah blah blah ... but let us not forget the entire point of a fight is to determine who who is the better man.

Fight stats, Compu-box quotas, etc., only determine (imperfectly) ... how many punches were thrown, how many landed, how many power shots, etc. These statistics do not, in ANY way determine the intangibles of who actually won the fight.

Let us all agree that the idea of any fight is a) to finish; and/or b) to thoroughly dominate.

Many (ignorant, biased, woefully-misinformed) people believe that "landing punches" is the only way to break a fight outcome down.

These people have no comprehension that forward pressure, not letting an opponent rest, economy of movement (compared to an opponent's wasted movement) ... and all manner of other subtleties ... can break a fighter just as surely (and even more surely) then can landing punches.

That said, of the two fighters Saturday night, Jones and Reyes, Jones' constant forward pressure, constantly not letting Reyes rest ... were having a more debilitating effect on Reyes ... than any punch or kick (or series of punches or kicks) that Reyes threw at Jones.

The absolute forward, dominant pressure of Jones was gradually breaking Reyes' spirit and manhood. Reyes, the young buck, was constantly (even desperately) backpedaling, giving ground, and praying for the bell to ring ... while Jon Jones was methodically trying to hammer that ass. Reyes was happy that the 5th and final bell rang; Jones was not.

In a fight to the death, Jon Jones kills Dominic Reyes.

The lack of agreement between "sporting fans" (who count "how many times Reyes 'touched' Jones") ... versus true fight fans (who calculate Alpha-Malehood, DOMINANCE, and IMPENDING MOMENTUM) can't ever come to terms because they value different critera.

I would say that those fight fans who "count points" aren't really fight fans at all. They are pretenders and casuals.

True fight fans want to know who finishes whom, who is TRULY the better man.

While many people may disagree "who outed-pointed whom," in the Jon Jones vs. Dominic Reyes fight; I don't think too many people would argue about "who would win a fight to the death, no time limit."

IMO, Jones is the true champion, because he asserted himself throughout the fight ... he made Dominick Reyes give ground and hide ... and while Dominic may have "out-pointed Jones" ... he was mostly trying to avoid the danger zone ... especially toward the end.

The former paradigm is what champions are made of.

The letter paradigm is what pretenders are made of.

Nice write up

summary

if the fight was to the death Reyes eventually dies.

in a simulated death match it was clear jones won 4-5 and either 1 of or both 2-3

better fighter won

Gus definitely won the fight against the Juicehead. He crippled him

Back