Winning MS-600 Gloves on Heavy Bag

candyman30107

White Belt
Reaction score
I recently purchased a pair of MS-600 winning gloves (16oz model). I had a friend set up an appointment to go to the store in California. They were told that you should use the MS-300 or MS-200 (12oz gloves) on the heavy bag and spar with the MS-600 gloves.

I assume that suggestion was made strictly due to the weight of the gloves. From what I understand, the winning gloves are supposed to be crafted extremely well and therefore using them on the heavy bag will not cause the padding in the MS-600 should not break down significantly to the point that they become unsuitable for sparring.

Can anyone who has experience using the gloves confirm my thinking? Also, will using the gloves on focus mitts have similar effects to using them on the heavy bag? I would like to essentially use the winning gloves for the heavy bag, focus mitts and sparring. As long as they will remain suitable for each of those task, I dont mind wear and tear or minor damage to them. If using them on heavy bag will destroy the padding in the gloves and therefore render them unusable for sparring and focus mitts, then I wont use them.

Thanks in advance.

Nobody likes that jackass that spars with the same gloves he uses on the heavybag.

always different gloves for bags and sparring

the worst is those guys who use 1 for both and do press ups in their gloves and go on to spar in the same session

always different gloves for bags and sparring

the worst is those guys who use 1 for both and do press ups in their gloves and go on to spar in the same session

I know those types of people....lol.

couple of gyms i go to keep sparring gloves aside for people to use....They dont want you using your training gloves to spar unless you have a designated pair of sparring gloves and the trainer may want to approve them. So i guess no one does that at my gym but i can see how it could be an asshole thing to do.

Whats the problem with using the same glove for both?

Glove padding gets compressed and broken down on bags, glove shells get scuffed up and filthy on bags, then you go and try to put that on a gym mate's face. Do you see the problem there?

Glove padding gets compressed and broken down on bags, glove shells get scuffed up and filthy on bags, then you go and try to put that on a gym mate's face. Do you see the problem there?

I could see how that could be a problem. But my gym is in the inner city of LA where most of my teammates and i can only afford one pair of gloves.

For the cost of the winnings you could buy two pairs of decent gloves.

clearly, they cannot afford Winnings

I dont think using one pair of gloves for everything is a big deal, though of course they'll stop being suitable for sparring sooner

I use the same gloves for bag and sparring. Never had any complaints about it.

There are a lot of misconceptions about this. A lot of variables too.

Yeah, this really applies to mid and lower tier gloves where the padding shifts and or gets rock hard. But IMF doesn't do this only layered. IMF may break however especial ally when people do burpies/marine squat thrusts in gloves.

In higher tier it just wears them down faster.

I could see how that could be a problem. But my gym is in the inner city of LA where most of my teammates and i can only afford one pair of gloves.

Where exactly?

As for the gloves, if I notice I'm sparring someone who uses the same gloves for everything, I'll use my Reyes, otherwise I'll use my C17s or Top Boxers.

I'm not made of money either, but I shop around. The greater LA metropolitan area is one of the greatest places in the country to find good deals on boxing gloves and gear. On top of that, fantastic deals can be found on the internet as well; if shipping is an issue (like you're scared of parcels being stolen), you can visit shops like Pro Boxing Supply in Hollywood who are willing to match internet pricing. Craigslist LA is also a treasure trove of potential deals.

Jaime81 and I are familiar with the area, let us know how we can help.

Thanks for everyone who responded. Regarding the different gloves for sparring, I have boxed for about two years now and not once have I ever separated the gloves I use for sparring and heavy bag. I have also never received a complaint from sparring partners either, who were also doing the same. If someone has an issue with my using the same gloves then I will happily either not spar with them or find another pair. I definitely don't want to be viewed as an ass hole for using the same gloves for both, so I will definitely be mindful of that. But again, I never had anyone complain to me about it nor have I complained to others for doing it.

The main reason for my question however was regarding more towards whether the gloves would be damaged quickly by using them for both. If anyone can speak to whether the heavy bag usage is going to really damage them, I would appreciate it. Also, generally speaking do focus mitts cause the same amount of damage to the gloves that the heavy bag does?

Nothing is harder on gloves than the heavy bag. It's silly really to talk about all gloves are going to break down, no matter what you do. It's not like the gloves will disintegrate if you hit the heavy bag it just puts more wear and tear on them.

Hi guys

I'm looking to buy the same pair of Winning gloves purely to protect my hands as my line of work requires a lot of hand dexterity. I currently use Fairtex BGV9. I don't box professionally or anything - just do it as a hobby and primarily work on the heavy bag with occasional Muay Thai.

I would love to hear your input regarding the following:
  1. Is this an overkill purchase based on my situation in your opinion? I am better off with mid-tier gloves like:
    1. Sabas Prime
    2. Everlast MX
    3. Casanova Hybrid
  2. Will doing heavy bag regularly on such an expensive glove reduce the gloves longevity (padding) as I will spar maybe once every month or so
  3. Can you clinch with these gloves?
Thanks

If you're looking for a pair of Sabas, I'd skip the Primes personally. I've used all of their models and I actually like the Prime gloves the least.

I'm not a fan of 360 enclosures in general as I think they are actually LESS supportive than typical enclosures. The pocket has a rough, canvas like liner found in the super traditional style Mexican gloves (think like Grant or Zepol).

I like the super softs enough, but I personally love my Pro series. Very similar in feel to a Reyes, but a tighter pocket and more protective. They're honestly my favorite gloves at the moment.

Last edited:
Hi guys

I'm looking to buy the same pair of Winning gloves purely to protect my hands as my line of work requires a lot of hand dexterity. I currently use Fairtex BGV9. I don't box professionally or anything - just do it as a hobby and primarily work on the heavy bag with occasional Muay Thai.

I would love to hear your input regarding the following:
  1. Is this an overkill purchase based on my situation in your opinion? I am better off with mid-tier gloves like:
    1. Sabas Prime
    2. Everlast MX
    3. Casanova Hybrid
  2. Will doing heavy bag regularly on such an expensive glove reduce the gloves longevity (padding) as I will spar maybe once every month or so
  3. Can you clinch with these gloves?
Thanks

If you do a lot of sparring I would recommend Winning gloves. They are great for any purpose really. But since you mostly just do bag work. Would recommend a good wrap job and some mid tier gloves as a more cost effective option.

Perhaps try the Ring to Cage C17 models or the new Fighting Soorts training models sold at TITLE boxing. C17's are different but similar in profile to Winning but more dense imo. Haven't actually tried the new Fighting Sports gloves but they look pretty good.

Everlast MX training gloves are great but snug. Def recommend at least 16oz even for bags unless you have small hands.

I use Winnings 16z lace ups for sparring and 12z velcros for pad and bag work. I haven't seen any deterioration of the foam padding on either but the leather Winning uses is very soft which make them comfortable out of the box but also causes the exterior to breakdown easier.

I would have separate gloves just for that reason. I'd get Winnings for sparring and a cheaper Reyes or Rival gloves for hitting the bag/mits.

Back