Winning MS-600-B: Thumb Problems

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by Longshot92, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Longshot92

Longshot92 White Belt

On the advice of many here and elsewhere on the interwebs, I decided it was time to up my hand protection game and splurge on the best that money can buy.

As advertised, quality of workmanship was astounding, fit and finish top notch, but... every time I hit the heavy bag with a cross, I jam my thumb, to the point that the gloves are barely usable. What is going on??

I've read that if your thumb hurts, you're punching wrong, but I've been boxing for five years in half a dozen different brands of gloves, and I've NEVER had thumb problems before. Is there something different about the thumb placement on Winnings? Has anyone else ever had this problem before? I did not research thumb placement of different brands before buying because it never occurred to me that this was a difference-maker. Am I the only person on the planet who doesn't like his Winnings?? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

2. Jaime81

Jaime81 Green Belt

I hadn't heard anyone complaining about the thumb but I think Cheap Shot didn't like his winnings because the pocket and his hand didn't line up. Maybe this is one of those situations.

If you do get rid of them, let me know.

3. StRatoCastR

StRatoCastR Gear Tester/Reviewer

Wow either you have an extremely long thumb or the thumb compartment on your winnings is smaller than usual. It sucks either way, because your winnings from what i understand are unusable at this point. I must say you have been the first case that has had an issue with a winning thumb.

If thats the case stay away from all mexican brand gloves.

Curious have u tried the ring to cage c17 and if so did u have an issue with the thumb?

4. Longshot92

Longshot92 White Belt

I never thought of myself as having big hands or long fingers- I'm 5'10" / 150 lbs so it's hard to imagine 16 ounce gloves being too small for me- maybe it's just something about the hand position, I don't know.

My last pair of gloves was Lonsdale, and even though it's the second most hated brand around here behind Everlast, I never had any hand problems with them whatsoever, thumb or otherwise. I lined them up side by side and I don't think I've identified the problem, but you can definitely see that the thumb profile and level of padding is VERY different- I'm sure some of it is due to the fact that the Lonsdales are well broken in and the Winnings are new, but it's still striking:

[​IMG]

I haven't tried the C17s, but I've had those Lonsdales for almost two years now, and I have a pair of Ringside IMFs that I'm actually not particularly fond of (but I think I just don't like IMF, no fault of Ringside)

I'm thinking about C17s and also Rivals as a comparison point... will certainly let you know if I decide to part with the Winnings!

5. ironwolf

ironwolf Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Get some top boxers. I couldn't find a 12oz glove that would fit me to save my life....but Mohammed made me a perfect pair.