Winning boxing groin protector- standard or high cut?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by Robocok, May 19, 2016.

1. Robocok Black Belt

I'm 6'2, 200lbs. Waist is about 35 so I think I need a L. My question, any experience with standard vs high cut? Does high cut have more protection? Thanks

2. makedansure Green Belt

This comes down to a matter of preference.... They sit differently. The high cut is "Mexican style" like the ones you'd see on JCC. Guys who bend at the waist a lot more prefer the more athletic cut, the shorter one is probably better. Higher doesn't necessarily have more protection but it covers more, you know? Like if you have higher hip bones and hate getting hit there (dirty tactic), probably go with the higher cut.

It's definitely best to try one on if you can. I think L is fine, LL would also be comfortable. If you're younger, probably L.

3. makedansure Green Belt

Also, if you're anywhere near southern california and have some time on your hands, visiting the Winning-USA shop is probably the best option. Helluva an experience, plus Kazumichi will let you try everything on.

4. Robocok Black Belt

I didn't know they had a store here. I'll look them up. Thank you

5. makedansure Green Belt

Yeah, I have to warn you though. If you're going to call, chances are he'll answer. Do not be off-put by how he answers. He will probably ask you why you're calling, and why you even want winning gear. This is because he's 70+ and literally has too many damn orders because demand is unmanageable. But, if you're patient, he will open up. He will tell you he hates the phone, and he'll probably tell you he hates email too.

Emails do take forever sometimes. But Kazumichi has someone helping him in that dept. His shop is in Redondo - you can find it on Google Maps. Lunch time he's usually taking a customer out. Call him and see if he'll be there. It's definitely worth seeing his office.

Are you in LA?

6. Robocok Black Belt

I'm in south OC. I already called today and all of those things you said would happen, happened. He told me he doesn't like phone and to only email him. He asked me why I want Winning gear when it's too expensive and I can get Everlast. He told me he wore Everlast when he fought in the 70s and it was alright so why do I want to spend so much money? I told him I heard Winning was the best but he didn't seem immediately convinced by my response. I followed up with an email tonight.

I enjoyed the conversation and look forward to a visit.

7. Robocok Black Belt

He also told me not to call him sir, haha

8. A&R_Superstar Blue Belt

I think i have had this exact conversation.

9. makedansure Green Belt

That's awesome that you're in socal. Last time I recommend a visit to Winning USA, the person lived on the East Coast.

Seriously though, be prepared to listen. If you put in the time, he'll help you all you need and treat you really well. Heck, he might even invite you to go to lunch with him. He has stories for days. Just in case you're particularly vain, be prepared to have a photo taken of you.

Also, I've been to see Kaz 4 times - never a short visit. I've never bought anything from the store. I'm considering picking up a pair next time because of the price drop.

10. Robocok Black Belt

Had a great time visiting the showroom today. I'll be back in 2 weeks to purchase the gear. Thanks again for info.

11. Robocok Black Belt

Finally got my gear yesterday. Thanks again for pointing me towards them. I took this picture of Kazumichi and Junko.

[​IMG]

12. makedansure Green Belt

Great to see that Junko and Kaz are doing well - great picture. What did you end getting, and also if you don't mind me asking - were the prices the same as what they have listed on their site?

http://www.winning-usa.com/products.html

13. Robocok Black Belt

Cps500 and fg2900, same price, but I enjoyed meeting them and listening to stories.

14. Robocok Black Belt

I'm really happy with the gear. I waited a year before finally pulling the trigger but I made the right choice. I used to try to spar with an everlast headgear I found on a clearance rack. When I got hit the headgear would spin around on my head impeding my view. So I would take it off which would have been ok but my partner was (and probably still is) bigger, stronger and more skilled than me. I don't mind this because I can get better training with someone like that, just not when I was getting wobbled from their hits with no headgear. Now problem solved, sort of.

I really like the fit and padding on the new headgear and cup I picked up. I feel like they're not going to move around as much if at all from hits. They're light weight too.

One thing I skimped on gear wise was my gloves. I have never had a problem with my hands using cheap velcro everlast gloves. I prefer to spend more money on better protection for the head and groin rather than gloves I'm going to need help lacing. Something had to give in the gear budget so $30 everlast it is for the moment.

I'm excited to start training more and spar a little harder again.

15. makedansure Green Belt

Man, those velcro Everlast gloves could be brutal to the guy you're sparring. Also, not good to spar with velcro as it could cut your sparring partner. But I guess as long as he's aware.

16. Robocok Black Belt

I didn't know Everlast/velcro wasn't good to be hit with.. will have to look into a different glove if my training partner complains.

What's a good glove for sparring?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  17. Robocok Black Belt

I found a pair of fairtex bgv1s for $50 shipped so I went with that. Supposedly they're pretty soft and good for sparring. Ultimately I went with velcro because I'd like to be able to take them on and off without help. Hopefully it won't cut anyone.

I'd love some Winning gloves to go with the rest of my gear, but no way in hell I'm dropping $300 more... Not right now at least.

I was interested in the Cleto Reyes because they look nice, people say good things, and they're about half the price of Winning, but someone was saying that they're a harder glove, and not as forgiving for the person getting hit while sparring. Still pretty expensive too. $50 feels a lot more reasonable, especially so soon after blowing my wad on cup and headgear.

18. makedansure Green Belt

There are a couple of options aside from velcro. Elastic Laces are very popular among sherdoggers (see Stratocaster's guide on sherdog) and also hook and loop converters (I use some ones from Title). Velcro isn't the best to spar with most times, but obviously you can use it especially if the guys your sparring with don't mind. At the Wildcard, for instance, the coaches would have you tape up over the velcro before sparring, and also over stray laces.

Cleto Reyes gloves fit some and don't fit others. It's fine for sparring but it's definitely not the most forgiving padding. When you've spent what you've spent on headgear and a groin protector, $280+tax shouldn't seem unreasonable. It sounds like you sort of just ran out of cash, which happens. Also, no problem prioritizing your own protection over gloves, but I think that gloves are very important, and I would rather gloves that fit and feel really well over the best headgear and groin protector. I do a lot of parrying, catching, and deflecting with my gloves. It's a terrible feeling when your thumb catches because of a inferior glove issue.

19. Robocok Black Belt

I have money for gear, but I take time to think about it for awhile before these types of purchases. I thought I could get away with cheaper gloves, since I've always used them in the past, even for sparring, but it probably doesn't make sense to have top of the line protective gear and bottom of the line gloves.

I guess these fairtex aren't a true boxing glove but they're better than $30 everlast and will do for now until I find something boxing specific that's not $280+tax. That, or I talk myself into making the drive to Kazumichi again and forking it over..

20. Robocok Black Belt

I honestly didn't even think of the systems available for lace management. Having to have a velcro glove taped everytime you want to spar defeats the convenience aspect of having velcro, and I don't want to be avoided for sparring because I don't have the right glove. After reading more about the winnings, those sound like the best option for sparring boxing. Thanks for explaining