Winning 14oz Gloves, MS-500 Review

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Reviews' started by rmphilmacrac, Aug 7, 2015.

1. rmphilmacrac

rmphilmacrac Blue Belt

I've used Winning in the past but I never thought much of it. That was before i really started looking into gear. For me a glove was a glove and thats that. Joining Sherdog opened my eyes to various gloves and it reminded me of Winning but instead of going out of my way and spending $200 i bought some C17s instead and i was very satisfied. Later on i ended up ordering custom UMA's and instead of waiting the going on 6 weeks now, i ordered these Winnings. I planned for them to be strictly bag gloves, in a way i was trying to see if they could replace my C17s and Tokushus.

Look/Quality/Construction

These gloves are known as perfection. They're known as the best, they're highly praised by even the pros themselves. Now im not one to buy into praise and all that. If i hear a glove is perfection or incredible i shrug it off and i dont believe it until i try them out for myself.

Starting with the look, these things really are just beautiful. I wanted black but black was out of stock in every weight so instead of waiting i went ahead with the blues. I dont like blue, i didnt exactly look forward to the color but i figured the color would make it easier for me to use them on the bag sense i wouldnt feel as bad about wearing them out. I didnt want the blue. When i opened the Box though i was so surprised, these things really are beautiful, the stitching is close to perfect, the leather is so soft and vibrant. Its not flat and boring, it shines, it makes you notice. The blue is probably the most perfect blue ive seen on a glove too and thats coming from someone who didnt want Blue gloves, ive never even owned any blue gloves.

The construction is the closest ive seen to perfect. The materials used are top notch, the leather is very soft and like i said it just makes you notice it. If you walked through a hallway and theres was Ringside or Fairtex, Rival leather to the left and Winning leather to the right, i believe the Winning would catch your eye more. That being said though one of my gloves has a, "chip," in the leather. Nothing that will catch your eye right off the bat but when you actually look at the glove you notice that very small blemish. Honestly that was very disappointing. I wasnt expecting even the slightest mistake.

The stitching is again close to perfect. I do have some lose ends though, two to be exact. They arent causing a problem or anything but again, not something i expected to see on my Winning gloves. Again though nothing in this world is completely perfect.

Thumb

The thumb is a big deal on these gloves. The straight thumb, I consider this the ideal thumb and thats not to say that i have thumb problems or that my thumb hurts in every other style of thumb. Thats not the case, this thumb is just astonishingly comfortable. Its the most comfortable style of any thumb ive ever tried.

Padding

Completely broken in feel right out the box. You can open the box and go spar right away with these things. Its a layered foam and its my favorite type of padding. These things work for everything. You can spar and protect yourself while protecting your sparring partner at the same time. These are also some of the very few gloves where i havent been able to punch through the padding. By comparison ive been able to punch through 16oz C17s but i havent been able to punch through these 14oz Winnings. Im not 100% sure how i can describe the softness of these gloves but they're right in between my 12oz and 16oz C17s with the 12oz being softer and the 16oz being slightly more firm. And thats just a further testament to the protective qualities of the MS-500 gloves, even though the C17 16ozs are slightly more firm i still managed to punch through them and feel my knuckles on the bag.

Performance

These gloves shine through any type of training, whether it be mitts, sparring, or bag work they're great for everything. I use them for bag work but if i needed to use them for anything else i wouldnt think twice. My hands are extremely protected in these.

One thing i have noticed is that the hand compartment is definitely for people with smaller hands. Not just like the length of fingers but the hands overall. Ill be posting a picture of the amount of knuckle padding that i use for these gloves, Le Roy wraps. Now its a decent amount but i usually use almost twice as much when i use the Tokushus or the C17s. I cant use that much with these gloves though, it makes the knuckles too tight and squeeze them more than id like. When i first used them with my new, "limited," knuckle padding i was a little worried but the gloves quickly proved that i didnt need that much padding anymore. The gloves foam absorbs every punch perfectly, my knuckles, my hands, everything feels incredible when using these gloves. Again a further example of the supreme padding, i used less Le Roy wraps on my knuckles in these gloves when compared to the C17s and i still couldnt punch through them. The very bottom of my heavy bag is very firm, rock solid so if i ever punch it that low i go a little easy but with the MS-500s i can sit on my punches and my hands dont hurt at all. I will say if i hit the bottom though i can feel the shock of the punch shoot through my forearm but its nothing terrible. If i used any other gloves my knuckles would get sore quick and id probably end up hurting my wrists.

The wrist support is also very good on these gloves. Not as good as Tokushu but better than the C17s. For example a left hook on the Tokushus feels fine, a left hook with the C17s hurts my wrist a little. Part of the reason i bought the Zrotwist wrist pads was to help support my wrist and they do. With the MS-500s though i can through left hooks all day without the wrist pads and my wrist never really hurts. Again the support isnt as good as the Tokushus but its pretty great, id say second best of all my gloves.

I consider these the absolute best gloves for sparring but again i have mine for bag work and they're now my favorite gloves, my go to gloves. They work for everything. And i know people dont like sparring people who use one glove for everything but i personally wouldnt mind it if that one glove was a Winning. The foam is just that perfect. The overall shape of the glove, the grip bar, the padding, the thumb, everything works together ever so perfectly to let you make an ideal fist.

Liner/Ventilation

I love this liner, i took a picture of it and it just looks like a big blue wave. Its extremely soft, it feels incredible. In between rounds ill lightly scratch the finger compartment because the liner is just so smooth and comfortable. Its also pretty good at drying up after a long session.

That being said though i wish there were vent holes. Vent holes should be a standard, these gloves do get a little hot but not terribly hot. I dont really notice it until i take my gloves off.

Weight

They are 14oz and weighed in at 14.4oz for the left and 14.7oz for the right. Pretty spot on in my opinion. The weight is also evenly distributed along the glove, they dont feel top heavy, they dont bend anywhere. The gloves stay straight when holding them by the cuffs.

Overall

These gloves have passed my expectations. What people say about them is true, there is a reason why the pros use them constantly. These gloves are the closest thing to perfection. Are they perfect? No like i said perfect would mean no little errors but then again i had to really inspect the glove to find certain cons so they're definitely close to perfect, closest ive seen. The gloves perform as good as they look. Are they worth the price? I say yes, i paid $233 and id gladly pay that again, these gloves will last me years, these gloves look incredible, these gloves protect me better than any other glove.

+Best foam
    +Best thumb
    +Liner
    +Leather
    +Construction
    +Protection
    +Performance
    +/-Price
    -Lack of vent holes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rmphilmacrac

rmphilmacrac Blue Belt

3. rmphilmacrac

rmphilmacrac Blue Belt

4. rmphilmacrac

rmphilmacrac Blue Belt

[​IMG]

Next comes the C17 comparison. Ill also be updating this review because i feel im not done yet. These gloves deserve a more in depth review.

5. Taskmaster99

Taskmaster99 Brown Belt

I swore to myself that I wouldn't read another Winning review.....but your reviews are so well done....I had to. That blue they use is damn nice!!!! Just looking at the pics alone....you can tell the quality of this brand. Another job well done my friend!!!

6. rmphilmacrac

rmphilmacrac Blue Belt

Thank you man but yeah the blue they used is really nice. Like i said i wasnt looking forward to blue until i opened the box hahah it changed my mind instantly

7. MEGAhorse

MEGAhorse Purple Belt

Works of art. Great review

8. Jaime81

Jaime81 Green Belt

Thanks for the review. I absolutely love that blue. These will probably be my next purchase.

9. fightingrabbit

fightingrabbit Banned Banned

I'm surprised about how highly you rated the wrist control. I've never worn Winnings myself, but I always read about how the wrist support leaves something to be desired.

Also is $233 the running price for a pair of MS-500s?

10. rmphilmacrac

rmphilmacrac Blue Belt

I rated the wrist highly because i dont feel discomfort in my left wrist when i throw a left hook. The C17s in velcro my wrist hurts a little when i throw that punch. I have to hold back when i use them or i need to wear the wrist pad. But when wearing these and the Tokushus my wrists feel completely fine. Obviously you could still hurt your wrist, its not like Winning makes a solid metal cast for your wrist but with my experience i could really throw the left hook and my wrist felt fine. I even wear the gloves a little lose so i can slip them on and off quicker and like i said my hands, knuckles, wrist, everything feels fine and well protected. Theres no discomfort whatsoever no matter how hard i try to throw.

But that was the total with shipping to NY. I think on Rakuten these went for like $196 or something then shipping and tax bumped it up to $233

11. MEGAhorse

MEGAhorse Purple Belt

I think you mean the Velcro Winning gloves. There is literally zero wrist support. The wrist support on the lace up Winnings is awesome in my opinion - no less than a 9/10.

Edit:. Having said that, the Velcro Winning gloves are still awesome.

12. rmphilmacrac

rmphilmacrac Blue Belt

Yeah i forgot to add that. Part of the reason i didnt buy velcro was because of this. The small strap also just looks weird. Lace up looks more clean. I love the double cuff

13. StRatoCastR

StRatoCastR Gear Tester/Reviewer

Yeah standard velcro winnings are like a 4/10 at best. Which is why i got my velcro customized for more support

14. MEGAhorse

MEGAhorse Purple Belt

Yea, definitely a bizarre set up for a Velcro glove. What's crazy is even with that flaw Velcro Winning is STILL head and shoulders above a ton of gloves lol.

@Strat, I'd agree that a 4/10 is the best score for standard Winning Velcro, only because I haven't injured myself, so it must give some support (feels slightly more stable when cranked). Also, when I was training at ATT a lot of the Japanese pro's that were visiting used Winning Velcro. I think they were giving priority to the practicality of a hook and loop though

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  15. rmphilmacrac

rmphilmacrac Blue Belt

Haha yeah even the weak velcro closure cant ruin the glove

16. StRatoCastR

StRatoCastR Gear Tester/Reviewer

Ya but i agree with mega and rodrigo ive never heard a bad thing about winning laceup. But i rarely use. Lace as its too much of a pain for me.

Great review format looks very familar!

17. rmphilmacrac

rmphilmacrac Blue Belt

Thanks a lot boss!

18. MikeSthlm

MikeSthlm White Belt

Just got My own pair of winning MS-500 and they are just amazing :) thanks for the review

19. deh707

deh707 Orange Belt

Nice review.

I just received my 12oz Winning velcro [MS400B], White stock.

Yes, the velcro could use an upgrade but it isn't too bad.

I simply use an extra junior size mexican style 120" wrap strictly for my wrists, followed by the usual 180" wrap.

20. rmphilmacrac

rmphilmacrac Blue Belt

Glad you guys liked the review!

@deh707
    Yeah man i use a 180 wrap just for my wrist with any glove.