Winkeljohn: "Cowboy is not loyal to anybody in the gym. He's as narcissistic as they come."

While I can see Cerrone coming off as an arrogant /cocky guy, I clearly think reality in this case is a LOT closer to his side of the story than
it is from Winklejohn ( who ? ) 's pathetic damage control attempt...

Umm... fighters aren't paying to show up to the gym and train other fighters. They're paying so they can be trained. Thanks, JohnWinkle.
Mike Perry is paying so he can be trained, just saying.

Cowboy has his own gym in Albuquerque with his own coaches and training partners.

Mike Perry is paying so he can be trained, just saying.

Cowboy has his own gym in Albuquerque with his own coaches and training partners.

His ranch is awesome

And yet according to him anyone who has $150 can go and train with anybody at your gym. So what does that say about your gym?

Umm... fighters aren't paying to show up to the gym and train other fighters. They're paying so they can be trained. Thanks, JohnWinkle.

Why do you post a thread and then immediately respond to your own topic? Are you trying to be the first post to get easy likes?

Donald can and should be upset with the direction of the gym. However, he can’t be mad at a coach at his gym for not cornering him if he isn’t paying said coach.

I don’t know the deal. Was Cerrone expecting to be trained without paying? Was Cerrone going to pay winkle less than what Perry offered?

Cerrone has more ground to stand on with the second question in the above scenario, but it’s still not the greatest stance. If cerrone was offering the same money, then shame on winkle.

Cerrone being upset about certain things happening in house doesn’t pertain to his argument about paying a coach.

Last edited:
Donald's not a young man any more. Not sure what he owes to the gym in terms of getting other fighters ready. Sounds to me like Jackson's wasn't doing enough to keep a vet like Cerrone from becoming complacent. Can't blame him for pursuing other options.

There's Cerrone's version, there's Winklejohns version and the truth is somewhere in between.

Winklejohn have definitely become more concerned with making money, (pitting John and Rashad against each over, letting Reem train with Arlovski and Travis etc), but what business doesn't want to make money?

That being said, Cerrone sounds like a cry baby.

I'm with Cowboy, you know the guy who built dorms on his ranch to help train fighters?

But Cowboy apparently enticed a lot of fighters from Jackson/Wink to train there instead. Whereupon they all lost. Since they were officially still Jackson/Wink fighters, that gym got the blame. People on here have long talked about the losing streak and losses piling up there. If they're training at Cowboy's place instead, who's fault is that?

From the Junkie article:
Winkeljohn disputed the notion that Cerrone is no longer welcome, but he defended his decision to work with Perry. He claimed Cerrone’s behavior since starting his own gym, the BMF Ranch, has caused a deep rift at Jackson Wink.

Winkeljohn said Cerrone has for several years drawn training partners and coaches away from the gym to train at BMF, but hasn’t contributed to Jackson Wink as a consistent team presence.
“And by the way, of the teams that went out there, I think it’s 100 percent of people lost, because ‘Cowboy’ wants to do what he wants to do on his timeframe, and it didn’t work for the fighters that train out there at the gym. So that made our percentage look bad, because we lost a lot of fights because of it."

Last edited:
Wky cowboy be loyal to someone in the gym? he goes there to train, not to help the gym. Wink is getting roasted by cowboy and the fact Jackson-Wink became a less successful gym after Greg went aways speaks for itself.
What happened to Greg?

~DaViD~

But Cowboy apparently enticed a lot of fighters from Jackson/Wink to train there instead. Whereupon they all lost. Since they were officially still Jackson/Wink fighters, that gym got the blame. People on here have long talked about the losing streak and losses piling up there. If they're training at Cowboy's place instead, who's fault is that?

Winkeljohn disputed the notion that Cerrone is no longer welcome, but he defended his decision to work with Perry. He claimed Cerrone’s behavior since starting his own gym, the BMF Ranch, has caused a deep rift at Jackson Wink.

From the Junkie article:
Winkeljohn said Cerrone has for several years drawn training partners and coaches away from the gym to train at BMF, but hasn’t contributed to Jackson Wink as a consistent team presence.
“And by the way, of the teams that went out there, I think it’s 100 percent of people lost, because ‘Cowboy’ wants to do what he wants to do on his timeframe, and it didn’t work for the fighters that train out there at the gym. So that made our percentage look bad, because we lost a lot of fights because of it."
Lol OK let's just ignore reality and side with the gym. Cowboy made the winning percentage plummet, sorry @egk we where all wrong. Bullshit, Condit, Holly, Andrei, Overeem, Sherman Chase, Tyson Pedro, Diego etc, weren't training at Cowboys ranch while they where driving down JW's win percentage.

Winklejohn is a terrible kickboxing coach and ruined the standup of so many fighters.

I’m with Winklejohn / Jackson on this one. Cowboy is past his prime, and his career is circling the drain. Instead of puting down the bottle or stopping extreme sports on the side, he is lashing out at those around him. This is sad.

Lol OK let's just ignore reality and side with the gym. Cowboy made the winning percentage plummet, sorry @egk we where all wrong. Bullshit, Condit, Holly, Andrei, Overeem, Sherman Chase, Tyson Pedro, Diego etc, weren't training at Cowboys ranch while they where driving down JW's win percentage.

Creating strawmen arguments is never a good look. It means you can't back anything up and you're just going on who you like better.

The fact is you have no more of a clue about the reality of this than I do unless you're training there? I'm not siding with the gym. Just saying there are two sides to every story then there's the truth. I've already said I liked Cowboy as a fighter, don't like Perry's out of cage antics and couldn't give two shits about Jackson or Wink. If Winkeljohn isn't just making things up tho, Cowboy's no fucking saint in this like people are making out.

The funniest part of Cowboy's tantrum was accusing Winkeljohn of being all about the money. That's just stupid. They're ALL in this to make money including Cowboy.

He may be right about Cerrone not helping others. But he is being loyal with his dollar and the dollar helps the gym in the end.

He has been a loyal paying customer to that gym for over a decade. Generated more income for that gym than Platinum has. Probs more than most fighters. Cowboy is a fan favourite.

Agreed.

But then why is it okay for Cowboy yet 90% of Sherdog turned on TJ when he left Alpha Male?

I was behind TJ all the way. TAM were riding his coattails after Ludwig greatly improved his striking.

Cowboy got his story out in a quick,concise and believable way.

Most fans acknowledge now that TJs story makes sense.

Back