Winkeljohn: "Cowboy is not loyal to anybody in the gym. He's as narcissistic as they come."

Hmmm, never realized Cowboy and Wink weren't tight. Also didn't realize Jackson's been stepping back from the day to day at the gym. I guess from a business perspective Wink's gotta be making some bank for his time and since he's not tight with Cowboy...

It really seems to be a marginal existence at best to run a fight gym. So often any success you enjoy is over so quickly and you're left with nothing but memories. MFS, Chute Boxe, BTT, The Armoury...

Cowboy seems all over the place.. From stepping away some time ago to train on his ranch, to the beef with Winklejohn although he is only paying Jackson, to the mushrooms and really just trying to focus on the good in people and a higher understanding etc.. I can't quite follow it

“Loyalty is two sides,” the coach told MMAjunkie. “‘Cowboy’ is not loyal to anybody in the gym. He’s on his own. He does his own thing. He has not, from what I can remember in the last 10 years, ever helped anybody out with their own camp. He’s as narcissistic as they come.”
SOURCE: https://mmajunkie.com/2018/08/donal...wink-mma-gym-puppy-mill-mike-perry-ufc-denver
Never helped anyone with their own camp in 10 years? I call Winkeljohn a liar.

Cerrone has an ego, like every other fighter, but narcissistic? I don't see any such pattern of behavior.

The fact that Winkeljohn said those two things makes me even more convinced that Cerrone is speaking the truth.

Last edited:
I don't like either of these plebs

Greg Jackson however, is the gameplan GOAT

quote-greg-jackson-is-a-sport-killer-dana-white-89-37-88.jpg

That place was dominant when it was just Greg Jackson's gym

Jackson Winklejohn is falling apart.

Umm... fighters aren't paying to show up to the gym and train other fighters. They're paying so they can be trained. Thanks, JohnWinkle.
Many journeyman fighters probably aren't making enough to be paying all of their coaches/sparring partners to only be training themselves. Its more of an open system where theres more sharing of resources and even fighters at the same weightclasses training together.

This "guy vs. gym" trend seems to becoming more and more prevalent. It's all just bs drama, something we don't need anymore of. Some issues should be kept personal between men and not aired out for everybody to comment on.

No, it comes from respect. People who build something from the ground up get told to deal with two people from the same camp fighting each other, lol. You really think someone like cowboy would fuck anyone over who literally left his life for a ranch in the desert isn't serious about what he says? It's oldschool MMA vs new school. The trainers want to make money, the people who brought them the money in the first place are pissed.. Who is right? I know who I side on.

“I was invited to leave Jackson’s MMA.”

-Cowboy Cerrone.

What he says about Cerrone being selfish and not helping other fighters seems utterly at odds with what they have said in the past. Virtually every fighter who has trained there talks about rolling and training with him. Sounds like Winkeljohn talking about his ass.
Considering the dude built a bunk house at his ranch for guys who come train with him, I call bullshit.

I'm with Cowboy on this.Fucked up after all these years he has been there and they are going with Mike fucking Perry instead.Thats fucked up.

“Loyalty is two sides,” the coach told MMAjunkie. “‘Cowboy’ is not loyal to anybody in the gym. He’s on his own. He does his own thing. He has not, from what I can remember in the last 10 years, ever helped anybody out with their own camp. He’s as narcissistic as they come.”
SOURCE: https://mmajunkie.com/2018/08/donal...wink-mma-gym-puppy-mill-mike-perry-ufc-denver

Cerrone was 100% right to move. Should've done it sooner too. Twinklejohn panicking, when he should've been panicking three years ago when his gym was already starting to turn to shit. Now it's too late. Now it's all over. Just as I predicted.

Now the only gym that is left from my prediction is American Top Dweeb. Time to bring it down too!

I can assure you that probably 90% of the best fighters are narcissistic. Appreciate your training partners but i think we all understand that you dont get to tag them in for round 3 after taking a beating in round 2. That is what makes 1 on 1 sports special and usually takes an A type mindset to achieve success.

Jackson Wink's recent record says it all.

Gym is a puppy mill and Mike Winklejohn is a sport killer.

Cowboy-Guillard, Evans-Jones, Condit-GSP, Overeem-Arlovski.... the list goes on. That dude wants to talk about loyalty? Get the fuck outta here <{walkerwhut}>

I live mere blocks from that gym. Since moving to abq that gym has steadily increased in price, a lot of friends have echoed the same sentiment about those people at the gym not giving a fuck about you or your success if you’re paying. I moved to abq in the golden era of champions when Jackson’s was in the shitty part of town and was a fucking place you’d never really recognize as a world class gym. Everyone I knew who coached or fought out of there has fallen out b

In essence it’s a McDojo now. There are some independent BJJ gyms who are a third of the price with serious competitors. The 10th Planet gym in ABQ has actual high level kickboxers and 10PJJ competitors coaching.

I just don’t get it with all this “Loyalty” nonsense. Fighters should be Loyal to themselves. If you choose to be loyal to someone else, that’s your prerogative. But it certainly isn’t warranted.

Agreed.

But then why is it okay for Cowboy yet 90% of Sherdog turned on TJ when he left Alpha Male?

I was behind TJ all the way. TAM were riding his coattails after Ludwig greatly improved his striking.

Back