Wing Chun?

I would recommend learning how to fight from the clinch (greco-roman, etc.) than learning trapping. Trapping is very difficult to use against a fighter who is very agressive.

jsut take it and see if you like it msmethurst if you dont leave

Originally posted by ChuteBoxeRocks
newb, you're right, Remco already told that he used JKD in Golden Glory training

Thanks, glad I could be a somewhat usefull newb. Remco kicks ass!

Originally posted by Liquid Snake
muay thai doesn't have ne ground work either

I did not say it was complete, just effective, unlike Wing Chun. If you read Lee's Tao of JKD, there are barely any references to Wing Chun.

It's useless to discuss about WingChun in this Forum, because there are only a few that knows it and all others will only bash them...

Maybe noob, but if you want a thread with only Wing Chun'ers....write it in the topic. If not...i'll bash!

That's because you're an ignorant prick who knows jack shit about the style but decides to bash it to sound like a tough guy.

I am a practitioner of Wing Chun as well as Muay Thai. The combination is an extremely effective one, and I plan on testing it in the ring atmosphere in the near future.

As many others have pointed out -- there are a lot of Wing Chun concepts that are adapted by a lot of the top fighters in MMA. It's a known fact that JKD was greatly influenced (as it served as the base MA form) by Wing Chun.

Although it's true that you most likely won't win an MMA or kickboxing match with strictly traditional Wing Chun, to call it simply useless just shows how little you truly know.

Originaly posted by FISTICUFS If you read Lee's Tao of JKD, there are barely any references to Wing Chun.
Well Tao of JKD was mostly conseptual knowledge that Lee had written down. He talked more about basic movements and did not talk much about grappling or trapping. However Larry Hartsell a student & long time friend of Bruce, Published a straightforward example of the direct application of JKD to grappling techniques. In this book he devoted an entire chapter to Tools For Trapping, they were all Wing Chun tools. That sets up for the next chapter (the title of the book) "Entering to Trapping to Grappling". He goes on to explain the application of WC trapping techniqes in conjunction with follow-ups taken from other arts. It is a very useful book IMO.

Well...WingChun I do Muay Thai, Boxing & Sambo....if you get to Montreal once...come by, we'll see who is a tough guy!

Originally posted by Dark Water
It's useless to discuss about WingChun in this Forum, because there are only a few that knows it and all others will only bash them...

I did study it and found it very lacking in effectiveness. I would recomend Muay Thai or Kickboxing hands down.

Originally posted by WingChun

1)I am a practitioner of Wing Chun as well as Muay Thai. The combination is an extremely effective one, and I plan on testing it in the ring atmosphere in the near future.

2)As many others have pointed out -- there are a lot of Wing Chun concepts that are adapted by a lot of the top fighters in MMA. It's a known fact that JKD was greatly influenced (as it served as the base MA form) by Wing Chun.

3)Although it's true that you most likely won't win an MMA or kickboxing match with strictly traditional Wing Chun, to call it simply useless just shows how little you truly know.

1) Stick to Muay Thai. Study some real ground work like wrestling or BJJ.
2) I don't think it was the base. In his book, 95% of his writings and descriptions had nothing to do with Wing Chun. And that is being generous. He droped Wing Chun to develope a practical and effective style. You know it's true.
3) Since it is not effective, OK I'll give you a little, as effective, don't preach it's "value". I really do feel sorry that you studying at a McDojo, but at least you finally found a school for Muay Thai. I would stick with that if I were you. What school did you join?

Hey WingChun, do you use WC Wooden Dummy for practice? Those look like a useful tool for conditioning your forearms & hands, feet, shins...etc. I've never used one myself so I don't
know how well it works, but it looks like it would help. They are alot harder than a punching bag & have arms & a leg. But I guess you couldn't put all your power in to hitting it how does it help exactly? & how do you use the wooden dummy?

Wingchun
hey do you use the chain punches in sparring? i have in both boxing and mt, and even mma to good effect. really catches them off balance not expecting such things.

Originally posted by FISTICUFFS
I did study it and found it very lacking in effectiveness. I would recomend Muay Thai or Kickboxing hands down.

It's because 99,99999% of the WingChun schools out there are McDojos... :D

Agreed. But the flaw doesn't completely rest with the Sifu's, IMHO. It is the outdated/ineffectiveness of a style that only works in the movies.

Originally posted by FISTICUFFS
Agreed. But the flaw doesn't completely rest with the Sifu's, IMHO. It is the outdated/ineffectiveness of a style that only works in the movies.

WingChun is by no means outdated or ineffective. It has to be properly understand to use it very effectibly. You have to see what an old chinese man called Lok Yiu can do... 80 years old and with 2 or 3 heart surgeries... Or his sons, or his only white student, Wilhelm Blech (Germany) or a few of Blech's students (my Sifu for example...). OUTSTANDING!
All odiern Leung Ting Wing Tsun is a shit! Those way of chainpunching works only on a sudden streetfight, no match for a real fighter. Total shit!

Chuteboxrox...... how do you have the time for 3 MA's , also assuming you do training on your own.?

Id say kung fu is better for older people, as it can be used regardless of age, whereas the more explosive MA's focus on the strength that comes with youth

ChuteBoxeRocks,
Real mature. Considering this is a message board you could say a lot of shit. The truth is, if you get your rocks off acting like a bad ass to a sixteen year old, then maybe you should go back to giving little nerds in school the shakedown instead of training in MA, because you don't have the discipline it takes. Nevertheless, I'm far from concerned and if I do make a trip maybe I'll stop by.

In response to the other comments:

It still confuses the hell out of me how people can bash a style they know very little about. I sound like a broken record, and I'm even annoying myself for all the times I've said this. Nevertheless, people cease to amaze me with how arrogant and ignorant they can be about certain things.

To look at pure traditional Wing Chun and call it ring effective is ridiculous -- I agree. I'll give you all that much. But I don't understand how you can actually deny any part of Wing Chun any usefulness. Did my comment about Wing Chun fighting strategies being successfully used in both kickboxing and MMA fights just go completely unnoticed? Seems to me this factor woud disprove the theory that Wing Chun is utterly useless in every sense of the word.

My Sifu is Sifu Anthony Arnett of Jacksonville, FL. Thankfully I was lucky enough to come across an instructor who took note of the fact that traditional Wing Chun isn't ring effective and modified it for point and full-contact fighting purposes, forrming a competitive offspring he calls "Cheung Style Sport Kung-Fu." It's extremely similar to kickboxing and includes the fighting strategies and concepts presented within the system of Wing Chun (William Cheung's lineage.) Roll punches (aka straight blast or chain punching) are included in its criteria as well as a plethora of kicks. So out of the "99.9999etc.%" of McDojo Sifu's in Wing Chun as you claimed, I am confident I am the result of a decent instructor whose head isn't in the clouds.

Yeah i'm a fuckin' immature...but at least i'm not studying in a McDojo!

Back