Wing Chun in MMA - the case of Tony Ferguson

I'm not going to bother replying to you again. Your clearly a clueless keyboard warrior tool, committed to spamming your views on any wing chun related thread that comes up. Sounds like maybe you had a bad experience with WC? Or maybe something about it disturbs you? Either way it doesnt change the facts, Rogan has stated Ferguson trains alot on the dummy, he wouldnt have said that if it wasnt a big part of his training and he knows since they both train with Eddie Bravo. Ferguson's close in style reflects the training and is consistent with footage of him using it and with application of some WC techniques. FACT. Evidence infront of your face, but since you've been parroting the "WC is garbage" line for a while now I expect it to take time to sink in or maybe you'll stay in denial who knows.

Nice vid. The issue here is twofold:
-The style and techniques of a given martial art
-The training methodology (i.e live sparring/pressure testing or not)

As we know, most WC schools do not do the second part, whereas most muay thai schools do. It is the training that makes the techniques much more applicable in real situations.

What we see with Ferguson is an example of taking WC techniques and principles and adding them to his training methodology with excellent results. Because there have been so few attempts to do this with WC thus far it is met with some surprise and even skepticism but that is all it really boils down to. For those of us who have trained it is really not surprising since we always knew the potentials of the system as well as some of the strong similarities to aspects of muay thai and boxing/dirty boxing

With regard to the elbow/forearm above, it was probably his single most damaging strike of the fight so I'm gonna give it to him as a deliberate elbow not an accidental missed overhand that happened to cause devastating damage.

The gif of the WC elbow is from the form so shows full range of motion. In application if your hands are infront of you you never 'wind it up' but come over from where your arm already is. But the principle of the downward diagonal elbow is there. To me it is clear Ferguson is throwing an elbow/forearm to cut as he has already thrown alot of them leading up to this at close range. He may be winding it back abit but it is effective regardless and since Pettis is guard up and defending he can pull it off.

I am also open to the possibility you mentioned that he throws it as a 'dirty boxing' forearm, with the hand coming over as a hook/ overhand then bent in to make it land with the elbow. It would look extremely awkward if he was throwing it as an overhand or hook, but as a forearm it makes sense. In this case it would be not that disimilar to the WC method.
WC is famous for straight punches and also elbows but seldom if ever hooks (although there is a little known hooking punch in the biu jee form). The reason for this is WC was developed for the bareknuckle arena so a hook can likely leads to a broken hand which we discussed on another thread. But as you are probably aware, the mechanics of a hook and elbow strike are similar in alot of ways, depending how you throw either.
I will address the handfighting/trapping similarities and applications later.
tyson had the best hooking elbow in boxing.

Back