Windy TG-5 16oz Glove Review

DC413

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
So here’s my review for the Windy TG-5 ‘beige label’ version in 16oz. Which I think this is the newer version of the one here: http://www.ringside.com/ringside/windy-hook-loop-sparring-gloves-9483.html
I used to own a set of the old TG-5 about 3 years ago, but I left them at a gym in Thailand because they were extremely soft and giving me knuckle pain. Anyway, I picked these up off KarateJoes.com for a cool $29.99 and $7.95 shipping. Hiya!

On to the review karate fans. As a preface, I’ve been using these gloves from 3 weeks now for everything; pads, bag, and sparring.

Windy2

Quality & Craftsmanship:
Construction quality of these gloves is pretty excellent. No errant stitching to be found and everything seems to be solid. Weights were slightly off, with the left weighing 15.0 oz and the right weighing in at 15.5oz. The liner feels nice and is not loose and bunchy, which drives me crazy. I also like the aesthetics of these gloves. The beige trim of the thumb piping, grip bar and palm padding add a nice bit of elegance along with the palm logo.

Material quality is a mixed bag. There is quite a bit of pitting in the leather on these gloves. While the pits are small, and most casual users wouldn’t notice them, they are prevalent and I feel like this is not leather you would see on top of the line gloves. I tried to get a picture of the pitting on the thumb of one of the gloves.

Windy4

On the positive material side, the Velcro on these really roars! I almost couldn’t get them off the first time I used them. This is a good sign since one of my gym mates has older TG-5s, and he constantly has to refasten his Velcro because it is shot. Judging by the sound, I have faith that the Velcro on my new gloves will last.

Fit & Comfort:
These gloves have a nice snug typical Thai fit, but are not boa constrictor tight like Top King. They fit nicely with or without wraps. Looking at the pics, you can see that these gloves have more curve than my Rajas, and keep your hand in a tighter fist, where the Raja are more of an open hand.

Now, the other day as I was standing in the gym (a hot, humid, basement gym in the southeast US mind you) listening to instruction before drilling technique, I thought “my hands feel kind of hot.” So I looked down and saw that these gloves have no palm venting at all. Huh. I didn’t even notice that initially when I got them. We’ll see how this works out as the summer progresses.

Windy1

Protection & Performance:
Protection wise, I like these gloves. They definitely seem to have at least a double layer of foam, a softer outer layer and a much denser inner layer. They feel good on the bag and I don’t notice any of the knuckle pain I sometimes get when wailing away on the KO fightgear bags at the gym. I don’t know how they feel on my sparring partners faces, but nobody has complained yet, and perhaps the softer outer layer makes for a nice punch to the face (on the rare occasion I land one). They are definitely not as soft as my Fairtex BGV-5 super sparring gloves though.

These gloves also have really great wrist support. There is no flop factor and the wrist is also very well padded. I tried to capture this in one of the pictures, but I don’t think it worked.

Windy9

Conclusion:
These are great gloves, especially at the price point of $38 shipped which I paid from karatejoes.com. I think you’d be hard pressed to find a better Thai glove at that price. My plan was to use these as my sparring glove to replace my Fairtex BGV-5, but I may end up using them as bag/pad gloves in rotation with my Rajas. I think I will like these as training gloves more, and I rarely take my gloves off on sparring nights so I think the lack of ventilation may be an issue (or I could just bust out the leather punch…anyone done any diy palm venting?).

Score: 8/10
-0.5 pitting in the leather
-1 lack of palm venting
-0.5 off weight (0.5-1oz)

+quality construction
+lion roar velcro
+nice aesthetics
+dual layer padding
+great padded wrist support
+value (if you can get them for $30 like i did)

Thanks for reading. Questions or comments appreciated.

Windy3

Comparison pics with my 14oz. Raja Gloves:
Windy5

Windy7

Windy8

Last edited:
Damn you, you're one of the reasons they were sold out of 16o when I went to buy :( haha but nice review mate, seem like great gloves. I have a pair of BGVH 10oz and love them

Excellent review!!! I like the look of those TG-5's than the older ones I had. Wish I had jumped on those when they were in stock.

Nice honest review but I like the older windy logo better with just the globe and windy. Not a fan of the flying Thai guy.

Nice honest review but I like the older windy logo better with just the globe and windy. Not a fan of the flying Thai guy.

LOL! I too have always thought that the Thai guy who was supposedly doing the wai kru looked more like he was flying! I believe he's been around for a while though because I have a shirt with him on it that I got with my original TG-5's some years ago.

Full color flying Thai guy for strat:
Windy_Shirt.jpg

I have these in 12 ounces and black and I absolutely love them. The Velcro is extremely strong even after a good six months. These are some of my favorite gloves for pad and mitt work. Even though the cuff is very Thai, it feels like a western boxing glove, not as much as my boons but it is up there.

I have these in 12 ounces and black and I absolutely love them. The Velcro is extremely strong even after a good six months. These are some of my favorite gloves for pad and mitt work. Even though the cuff is very Thai, it feels like a western boxing glove, not as much as my boons but it is up there.

How does the 12oz feel on the hand? They are out of 16's but still have 14 and 12.

I like windy gloves, I dont really like their other stuff though. I still want to get a pair of those pro line gloves in brown.

On my last trip to Thailand, I didnt see a single pair of windy gloves.

How does the 12oz feel on the hand? They are out of 16's but still have 14 and 12.

I was surprised by how well they molded to my hand. I have larger wide hands and they fit pretty snugly at first but broke in very quickly. I will buy these again. I saw that they were out of 16s and my 12s have plenty of life left in them. So far they have been pretty durable.

I was surprised by how well they molded to my hand. I have larger wide hands and they fit pretty snugly at first but broke in very quickly. I will buy these again. I saw that they were out of 16s and my 12s have plenty of life left in them. So far they have been pretty durable.

Thanks for the info. As i said before....I like the look of these much better than the previous model:)

I got the older model of the tg 5's in 18 oz a couple of weeks ago and I like the look of them much better than these new ones. I love the beefy cuff on it. Seems like they really made the cuff a lot smaller on these. Not a big deal if they perform the same though.

So I wanted to update this review. I've been using the gloves now for about a year. Sadly enough, one of the things I raved about, the velcro, is on it's last leg and is starting to come undone during sparring sessions. The disappointing thing, is that I only use these gloves once a week during sparring only night. It kind of sucks that the velcro has only held up for a year on just once a week use. Not terribly disappointed because I only paid $30 though. Also, the fingertip area is pretty worn out and I actually bent a fingernail back after catching a teep last night, that sucked.

I was curious how others who bought these gloves have held up, that's why I quoted Jaimie81.

On the bright side, I now have good reason to buy some new sparring gloves. :icon_chee

The Velcro has held up alright. It had been less "tacky", but they haven't come undone. These are currently on extended loan. I have been on the look out for another set of these exactly in 12s but I haven't found a price I like as much. Since I'm pretty full on gloves right now I feel I can wait for a great price. I would buy one tomorrow at $50

That's probably why I'm waiting. I want them at karate joes prices.

I wish KJ'S still had good deals like this every so often.

I hear that. It seems like MMA Joes and Karate Joes are just letting the rest of the sale stuff clear out. Nothing new and exciting added. A lot of us scooped up some major gear during that little time period.

Hey guys, I'm very curious, which Windy's model do you like the best? I've seen a few a few TG5, TG20, TG23, TG31 etc., I wonder if any of you have had a chance to try a few different models, and which one do you think is the best for sparring?

Back